Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speaker berates Kemi Badenoch over bypassing informing MPs.

(58 Posts)
Wyllow3 Thu 11-May-23 13:07:39

She gave information to the newspapers before the House of Commons about EU law U-turn.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xYhVtVqlA

Quite something from our mild mannered speaker.

Rosie51 Thu 11-May-23 17:19:49

Doodledog

Chocolatelovinggran

Ouch! My respect from the speaker has increased hugely.

Mine too. I was a fan of John Bercow (I know he's not universally liked, but I think a speaker needs to be very firm about the law, and keeping rogue politicians in line), and thought that Lindsay Hoyle seemed quite weak by comparison, but this has changed my mind.

I agree! I too was a fan of John Bercow as a speaker, and have often thought Lindsay Hoyle a poor, weak substitute. Today's action shows he can be strong and uphold parliament's authority. I especially liked "who do you think you're speaking to?" Hoping this is a sign that he will be assertive and stand for no more nonsense from them, whichever bench they sit on.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 17:20:00

Agreed ronib

MaizieD Thu 11-May-23 17:39:15

couldn’t stand Bercow who was arrogant and sarcastic.

Bercow was absolutely correct, though, in being always in the defence of the legislature, i.e the entirety of the House of Commons whose prime purpose is to scrutinise proposed legislation and hold the government to account over it, against attempts by the executive (the government) to bypass and marginalise it. He worked on the long established principle that parliament is sovereign, not the monarch as personified by the government.

Whether people liked him or not is irrelevant. He was doing his job.

Rosie51 Thu 11-May-23 17:40:54

Whether people liked him or not is irrelevant. He was doing his job. 100% agree. And he was very good at it.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 17:46:30

YES

growstuff Thu 11-May-23 17:51:31

Fleurpepper

I do wish however that Hoyle had found the cogliones to put in his place Johnson, rather than a woman Junior minister- even though she deserved it. So did Johnson, time and time again.

But yes, ANSWER THE QUESTION or be cut out and ask to sit down.

Badenoch's gender is irrelevant. She talks to everybody like that and dismisses anything in the way of her agenda and career. She's the Secretary of State for Women and Equalities who doesn't even recognise inequality exists.

Callistemon21 Thu 11-May-23 17:59:45

Fleurpepper

I do wish however that Hoyle had found the cogliones to put in his place Johnson, rather than a woman Junior minister- even though she deserved it. So did Johnson, time and time again.

Kemi Badenoch is not a junior minister.

She is Secretary of State for Business and Trade, President of the Board of Trade, and Minister for Women and Equalities

Riverwalk Thu 11-May-23 18:02:46

Badenoch's dripping sarcasm towards the Speaker was breathtaking!

Callistemon21 Thu 11-May-23 18:06:50

Riverwalk

It didn't do her any favours, did it!

Oreo Thu 11-May-23 20:05:36

MaizieD

^couldn’t stand Bercow who was arrogant and sarcastic.^

Bercow was absolutely correct, though, in being always in the defence of the legislature, i.e the entirety of the House of Commons whose prime purpose is to scrutinise proposed legislation and hold the government to account over it, against attempts by the executive (the government) to bypass and marginalise it. He worked on the long established principle that parliament is sovereign, not the monarch as personified by the government.

Just as Hoyle is doing his job and he manages to do it without the arrogance and sarcasm too.
He also has a lovely Lancashire accent and is a thoroughly decent sort, unlike the previous Speaker Bercow who was also really unpleasant to women.

Iam64 Thu 11-May-23 20:15:46

Badenoch seems to be arrogant as well as out of her death. Well shouted Hoyle

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 20:51:39

ooops your typo made me smile Iam64 ;)

Iam64 Thu 11-May-23 20:56:52

Whoops indeed 🌞

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 20:59:59

growstuff

Fleurpepper

Badenoch's gender is irrelevant. She talks to everybody like that and dismisses anything in the way of her agenda and career. She's the Secretary of State for Women and Equalities who doesn't even recognise inequality exists.

Well yes, but so did Johnson and many others in his entourage, and Hoyle let them get away with it, time and time again- that is my point.

DamaskRose Thu 11-May-23 21:07:24

MaizieD

^couldn’t stand Bercow who was arrogant and sarcastic.^

Exactly so MaizieD.
I thought Badenoch was patronising even after her telling off.

MaizieD Thu 11-May-23 21:15:00

Oreo

MaizieD

couldn’t stand Bercow who was arrogant and sarcastic.

Just as Hoyle is doing his job and he manages to do it without the arrogance and sarcasm too.
He also has a lovely Lancashire accent and is a thoroughly decent sort, unlike the previous Speaker Bercow who was also really unpleasant to women.

Nope. He really isn't doing his job. He lets the government get away with far too much.

growstuff Thu 11-May-23 21:26:38

Fleurpepper

growstuff

Fleurpepper

Well yes, but so did Johnson and many others in his entourage, and Hoyle let them get away with it, time and time again- that is my point.

But her gender has nothing to do with it.

She really is arrogant, patronising and lies through her teeth. She treats her constituents with total contempt (I'm one of them) and it wouldn't surprise me if she treats her colleagues in the same way. Hoyle has probably come across her outside the chamber, so knows what she's like and was at the end of his tether. I can't remember Johnson speaking to him like she did.

growstuff Thu 11-May-23 21:28:14

Callistemon21

Riverwalk

It didn't do her any favours, did it!

Unfortunately, she has a rock solid Conservative majority because she's not up to the job of being an MP, never mind a minister.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 21:39:17

growstuff

Fleurpepper

growstuff

Fleurpepper

But her gender has nothing to do with it.

She really is arrogant, patronising and lies through her teeth. She treats her constituents with total contempt (I'm one of them) and it wouldn't surprise me if she treats her colleagues in the same way. Hoyle has probably come across her outside the chamber, so knows what she's like and was at the end of his tether. I can't remember Johnson speaking to him like she did.

Thanks, I actually know fairly little about her. My point is, again, that I wish The Speaker had found his voice and discipline a lot sooner than now.

Better late than never, I agree. I do hope he will keep it up.

growstuff Thu 11-May-23 21:55:39

I've been in the same room as Badenoch twice for local hustings. She speaks to everybody as though they're irrelevant and she's the only person who knows what's best. I've witnessed her putting people down when they ask any question she can't cope with. She then goes into a silly "I couldn't possibly answer that" mode when she hasn't done her homework and doesn't know about something she should.

She didn't have the guts to face her backbenchers when she decided not to have a bonfire of EU regulations, so softened up the public by giving the information to the press.

It was blindingly obvious to anybody with a brain half the size of a goldfish that it would have been impossible for the civil service and constitutional lawyers to go through all the laws within the deadline. Rather than being honest and giving a true picture, she's tried to watch her back. It was a serious breach of procedure and Hoyle was absolutely right to reprimand her. It was shocking, but not the slightest bit surprising, that she showed absolutely no contrition. Quite frankly, she seems to think most other human beings - her constituents, other MPs - are beneath her.

PS. You probably gather I can't stand her.

MayBee70 Thu 11-May-23 22:03:04

I’ve only just actually heard what he said. Blimey! Well done him.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 22:08:08

Thank you for clarifying growstuff.

Hope you understand what I said about better late than never.

Wyllow3 Fri 12-May-23 13:31:11

I wanted to thank you for that person experience testimony Growstuff as was very useful to complete the picture. How people treat each other in say constituency situations matter a great deal. It was clear after the reprimand it was water off as far as she was concerned when in fact she was undermining our every parliamentary system.

Hoping Sunak will get rid of her - but will that be too hard for the far right in the party?

HousePlantQueen Fri 12-May-23 13:57:13

It is interesting to get first hand reports from a constituency level as most of us only see MPs on TV. Most MPs are smart enough to at least pretend to be interested in the people who put them in the job, ie their constituents. I understand that loathsome though some of her policies were when she was Home Secretary, that Pritti Patel, who represents a neighbouring constituency is very good at handling local matters and gets involved. My own MP, although hardly around, does reply to emails and is polite.

I get the impression that Badenoch thinks everyone is beneath her.

Elegran Fri 12-May-23 14:47:32

midgey

He really ‘told her off’ didn’t he! Well done him.

"Beware the anger of a patient man."

John Dryden, 17th century, in "Absalom and Achitophel", (quoting from Publilius Syrus, 1st century BC)