Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speaker berates Kemi Badenoch over bypassing informing MPs.

(58 Posts)
Wyllow3 Thu 11-May-23 13:07:39

She gave information to the newspapers before the House of Commons about EU law U-turn.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xYhVtVqlA

Quite something from our mild mannered speaker.

growstuff Fri 12-May-23 15:35:31

HPQ Priti Patel is MP for a neighbouring constituency and I can confirm that she has a reasonable reputation for dealing with local problems.

growstuff Fri 12-May-23 15:39:47

John Crace in the Guardian wrote this about Badenoch yesterday:

"Why make friends, when it’s so much easier to make enemies? Kemi Badenoch’s default mode of interaction is always to be patronising and condescending.

She can’t help herself. It’s a narcissistic variant. She is unable to imagine herself as anything other than always right about everything. Even when she has been forced to change her mind. So, in her mind, anyone who disagrees with her or dares to even question her is automatically branded as stupid. Hardly worth her time bothering with them.

The problem for the business and trade secretary is that she isn’t nearly as bright as she thinks she is. If she were, she would never have allowed herself to get in such a mess over the retained EU law bill in the first place. After all, it was obvious to even the dimmest halfwit that removing every piece of EU law from the statute book by the end of this year was going to be a disaster."

www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/11/kemi-badenoch-makes-enemies-with-narcissistic-commons-appearance

I hadn't read it before my little rant yesterday, but Crace sums her up very well and much more eloquently than I could.

Grantanow Sun 14-May-23 17:10:40

I've no time for Badenoch but frankly the Commons is so poor these days at holding Ministers to account that I doubt it matters.

Wyllow3 Sun 14-May-23 17:25:57

Its an interesting article because it outlines how she has managed to alienate some of the ERG.

but Crace says this in the article, which I agree with:

"If Hoyle wants to be taken more seriously, he is sooner or later going to have to make good on one of his threats. If he was actually to throw an MP out for persistent bad behaviour, then the Commons might clean up its act. Right now, he’s too much of a people pleaser. Everyone knows there’s no comeback."

After publishing the Badenhoch, I thought it might be interesting to google Badenoch and "Telegraph" and found this gem

"Kemi Badenoch: Brexit law critics can 'talk but can't do'

The Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk › news › 2023/05/11 › ke...
3 days ago — The Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful. Please review our commenting policy.

Wish I had access to some of the comments.

Fleurpepper Sun 14-May-23 18:47:03

'If Hoyle wants to be taken more seriously, he is sooner or later going to have to make good on one of his threats. If he was actually to throw an MP out for persistent bad behaviour, then the Commons might clean up its act. Right now, he’s too much of a people pleaser. Everyone knows there’s no comeback."'

totally agree with this. I know others said Kemi's gender is not important here, and the fact she is a lesser known figure- but I still think it is relevant. Hoyle found the guts to reprimand her, and totally correctly. It was good to see. But I do wish he'd found 'them' before, with Johnson and many others, men in higher positions of power, whose behaviour and waffle and nonsense, instead of answering questions- have gone on for such a long time.

Wyllow3 Sun 14-May-23 18:57:11

That image of Rees Mogg lounging on H o C bench popped to mind tho I realise its not directly on topic.

It got through the right wing papers with a gentle cartoon or two, but just imagine if Angela Raynor had done it?

Oreo Sun 14-May-23 20:18:55

Wyllow3 there were some hilarious memes😂the best one was him lying across the Queen’s knees.