Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eurovision shouldn’t have been in the UK

(124 Posts)
Mollygo Thu 11-May-23 18:55:08

President Zelensky says Eurovision should not be held in the UK. If only he’d made that clear before, it would have saved us a fortune.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-May-23 20:20:33

GrannyGravy13

Mollygo

GrannyGravy13

Treat The Eurovision Song Contest as you would any other TV programme, if it’s not your thing do not watch it.

It obviously brings pleasure to a great many folks in many Countries.

Exactly my views on the Coronation spectacular.

All televisions and devices have an off switch, nobody is forced to watch anything they do not want.

I have a live and let live attitude to day-to-day life it is a lot less stressful.

All televisions and devices have an off switch
I don't think everyone has that luxury on their tvs,
unfortunately. sad

Oreo Sat 13-May-23 20:22:53

Sweden 😄

Oreo Sat 13-May-23 20:24:11

That was addressed to volver3 btw as Sweden are tipped to win.Or Finland.😁

Callistemon21 Sat 13-May-23 20:25:59

Bella23

Callistemon21

nanna8

It’s so unfair and political it just isn’t worth watching now.

Australia might win ..... wink

Has there been a lot of Continental drift lately I thought Australia as a land mass was moving towards India not Europe.shock

😂😂😂

The Australian singer is an immigration lawyer, I think.

Will Voyager win?

Oreo Sat 13-May-23 20:28:23

grandtanteJE65

I would be even more radical than President Zelinsky and ask why the UK is still taking part in the Eurovision Song Contest?

You have rammed down our throats that you do not consider yourselves, or want to be part of Europe, so why take part in Europe's Song contest?

As to Zelinsky, his point is perfectly valid, and if you are offended by his making it, well and good, but quite frankly the man has far more serious problems on his mind than the Eurovision Song Contest and whether the British public in general is offended or Liverpool in particular.

It’s Zelensky btw and we are taking part as we are part of Europe and have been taking part since it started.
You are confusing the EU with Europe.Are you French?

Camille333 Sat 13-May-23 21:59:31

The man is a hero ,in a warzone ,watching his country being destroyed,his people murdered and people think it's appropriate to talk about Eurovision.

Louella12 Sat 13-May-23 22:42:52

Ooh I don't have a clue who will win!

BlueBelle Sat 13-May-23 23:19:12

The Australian singer is an immigration lawyer, I think
So Australia is in Europe ??? Gets dafter by the minute
I remember when they first said Australia was going to take part
Mad as a hatter

Saetana Sat 13-May-23 23:46:25

volver well I thought it would be Ukraine but its looking like that is not going to happen. And our UK effort is doing just as badly as I expected, given it was a mediocre song by a mediocre artist - and her performance was dire! Seriously, her video was much better - where were the troupe of dancer, not to mention the autotune grin

nanna8 Sun 14-May-23 00:12:50

No one seems to care here- it is just a political thing, not worth bothering. Is Russia in it, by the way ? Bet not and they sure wouldn’t have a cats chance in hell if they were. Why Australia is in it beats me.

Allsorts Sun 14-May-23 07:25:12

Another post reporting on done thing completely iyt if context.
I don't like Eurovision, but lots do, up to them. President Zelenski is a hero and so are all those brave ordinary people fighting for their country. . How you can complain about him I don't know. It's life and death there.
Liverpool was pleased to host, enormous money coming in, Ukraines have expressed their gratitude to them many times and to the U.K., they are what matters and they are happy.
Do please get your facts right.

maddyone Sun 14-May-23 10:12:25

Agree Allsorts. I admire Zelensky very much.

Callistemon21 Sun 14-May-23 15:53:00

BlueBelle

*The Australian singer is an immigration lawyer, I think*
So Australia is in Europe ??? Gets dafter by the minute
I remember when they first said Australia was going to take part
Mad as a hatter

Why are many other countries?

Iam64 Sun 14-May-23 20:05:48

My 7 and 8 year old grandsons were scoring , they pronounced the uk entry - too boring and the dance is rubbish. The grown ups agreed. I was also struck by how ooor her voice was

Callistemon21 Sun 14-May-23 23:11:10

Iam64

My 7 and 8 year old grandsons were scoring , they pronounced the uk entry - too boring and the dance is rubbish. The grown ups agreed. I was also struck by how ooor her voice was

Nil points?

I said on the other thread that I think she forgot to turn her mike on.

biglouis Mon 15-May-23 00:03:25

Most of the songs were pretty poor and not as good as last year. I liked the Israeli entry and the Italian guy was cute. Sweden was the bookies favorite. On the 50 year ABBA anniversary what a coincidence that they won!

Our entry was boring and she was flat. At least the German one was amusing.

biglouis Mon 15-May-23 00:04:52

I dont usually watch Eurovision but as it was hosted by my native Liverpool I had to have a look. The settings and laser technology were top notch. Some very talented people there.

Dinahmo Mon 15-May-23 11:27:49

Galaxy

Everyone knows that Eurovision is an overblown series of awful songs grin

That may be but millions of people love it.

Dinahmo Mon 15-May-23 11:35:28

Dianehillbilly1957

Sorry if I offend anyone who enjoys the Eurovision, but to be honest I'm sick of it being forced fed to us. I can never understand how there's money for this whilst more important things go without. Roll on Sunday.

There's dozens of channels to chose from on Freesat or Freeview so you don't have to watch and you're not being force fed. Tens of thousands of people will watch and enjoy it. If it brings some fun and laughter into peoples' lives what's so wrong?

Doodledog Mon 15-May-23 11:52:49

Dinahmo

Galaxy

Everyone knows that Eurovision is an overblown series of awful songs grin

That may be but millions of people love it.

I agree on both counts grin. It is a lot of camp old nonsense, but I watch every year, and love it. (Oh, yes, I do!)

Norah Tue 16-May-23 09:39:09

Agreed, Doodledog. Delightful.

I've no attention span or ability to sit long, for tv.

I wandered in from kitchen routines - enjoyed the bits I saw.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-May-23 16:53:24

Dinahmo

Dianehillbilly1957

Sorry if I offend anyone who enjoys the Eurovision, but to be honest I'm sick of it being forced fed to us. I can never understand how there's money for this whilst more important things go without. Roll on Sunday.

There's dozens of channels to chose from on Freesat or Freeview so you don't have to watch and you're not being force fed. Tens of thousands of people will watch and enjoy it. If it brings some fun and laughter into peoples' lives what's so wrong?

I agree.

It's kitsch, it's OTT and not to everyone's taste but what is life, if, full of care, we have no time for the frivolous occasionally?

Callistemon21 Tue 16-May-23 16:57:11

Tens of thousands of people will watch and enjoy it

48.7 million I believe, according to the latest figures.