Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson referred to the police for suspected further breaches of lockdown regulations.

(224 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 23-May-23 21:59:09

This story has been covered by several sources, but I think this Peston tweet explains it quite succinctly

Just to explain, because the Cabinet Office is paying Boris Johnson's multi-hundred-thousand-pound legal bills, it is technically the client in his defence against the privileges cttee. His lawyers are therefore obliged to submit all material they obtain to the CabOff. Its officials saw diary entries that suggested maybe Covid laws were broken at Chequers events hosted by the then PM. If this was a possible breach of the law, official were obliged under the civil service code to pass info to the police for investigation. It had no choice or discretion in doing this. Its actions were not politically motivated, but were obligatory under the code. It's now for the police to assess whether the law was broken. Johnson's supporters will see this as the "revenge of the blob", but officials - the blob - deny this

twitter.com/Peston/status/1661061779743555598

MayBee70 Wed 31-May-23 20:11:16

I don’t think he took covid seriously at all which is why he probably should have gone to hospital sooner. Or perhaps he didn’t want his father to think he was soft.

MaizieD Wed 31-May-23 17:16:29

maddyone

^No playacting hospitalisation needed.^

What a shocking comment! I was hospitalised with Covid and I was very ill. Nobody was hospitalised with Covid unless it was needed, there wasn’t the capacity.
I can only assume that anyone who can make such a comment didn’t have Covid seriously. I can also only assume that anyone who can make such a comment about another human being is devoid of any humanity.

Hang on maddyone. I said that and it was strictly in the context of Johnson and Starmer. Not a general observation.

How dare you make such horrible insinuations about me. An apology would be appreciated.

growstuff Wed 31-May-23 14:07:07

maddyone

^No playacting hospitalisation needed.^

What a shocking comment! I was hospitalised with Covid and I was very ill. Nobody was hospitalised with Covid unless it was needed, there wasn’t the capacity.
I can only assume that anyone who can make such a comment didn’t have Covid seriously. I can also only assume that anyone who can make such a comment about another human being is devoid of any humanity.

Think about that logically.

Nobody is disputing that you were ill with Covid and that hospitalisation no doubt saved your life.

However, it doesn't follow that Johnson was as ill as you were.

Those early days were fairly chaotic because nobody really knew what to expect. Johnson was the PM of the UK. Of course, everything would have been done to give him the best treatment available at the time. That was in hospital and it's no surprise a place was found for him.

I have absolutely no idea whether he needed a bed in ICU. Apparently, he didn't actually receive the treatment associated with ICU, so I have no idea why he was there. His age and weight would (I guess) have meant he was a high risk and nobody would have wanted the PM dying on their watch.

At the time, hundreds were dying every week - hundreds who could maybe have been saved if they'd had the same precautionary treatment as Johnson. Quite honestly, I had no sympathy whatsoever for Johnson. He boasted about shaking hands with Covid patients and shoed no concern for his own protection - as though the pesky virus knew to leave him alone because he was so important.

Whatever the truth, I remember at the time that the whole thing was over-dramaticised. There were thousands who were just as ill (or more ill) than Johnson. So how did he react? By showing contempt for the rules which he had put in place. By ignoring guidelines. By listening to wacky theories about herd immunity. By authorising the silly "eat out to help out" program.

Johnson, personally, had the very treatment the NHS is able to offer, but he was the PM. He treated the population as beneath him.

maddyone Wed 31-May-23 13:20:02

No playacting hospitalisation needed.

Parsley3 Tue 30-May-23 19:33:25

twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1663501665251606528?t=n5vfksm1lL1jFcaLNUFmPQ&s=19

Just in case we are wondering how the ex PM is passing his time, he regularly tweets to keep us informed. I am not sure how he can cope with reading some of the responses.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-May-23 18:22:54

Oreo - if it had been Keir Starmer would you be so dismissive?

I am not dismissive, and personally think he was ill with Covid - but I'd still be more likely to believe words from Starmer's mouth than Johnson's.

MayBee70 Tue 30-May-23 18:16:50

As his father said at the time’ he took one for the team’. What a hero.

growstuff Tue 30-May-23 17:48:13

I confess that I haven't been following this sage in detail. However, could somebody please explain something.

I was under the impression that the Covid enquiry and the referral to the Met for alleged breaches of lockdown were separate. Have I got that wrong?

It seems to me that there's a deliberate attempt to confuse us with smoke and mirrors.

As far as I know, the enquiry will look at issues such as the country's preparedness for a pandemic, the handling of contracts and much more. In that case, why the heck does it matter whether Johnson was ill with Covid or not?

Let's all be grateful he rose (from his bed) on Easter Sunday and the country was saved. Ahem!

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 30-May-23 17:33:30

In what way is BJ's Covid illness relevant to allegations of breaches of lockdown?

Nandalot Tue 30-May-23 16:41:12

Apparently, Boris Johnson’s evidence for the Covid enquiry is ‘missing’.

www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/may/30/covid-inquiry-boris-johnson-government-messages-deadline-rishi-sunak-conservatives-labour-uk-politics-latest

Casdon Tue 30-May-23 16:20:07

Ronib there was a huge amount of sympathy for Carrie, and nobody was wishing Boris ill, I think the country was shocked. Just look back on the chat thread history to when he was admitted to hospital, you can read it for yourself.

MayBee70 Tue 30-May-23 16:00:49

HousePlantQueen

Whitewavemark2

Today is the last chance to give in the requested evidence.

Legal proceedings can be started tomorrow.

I do hope that they give Johnson no leeway. He is a chancer and a liar.

and a traitor. See my reminder regarding his trip to Lebedev's villa. I think Putin has something on Johnson, although given his usual lack of morals, the mind boggles just what it could be that is being used to blackmail him

There seems to be some sort of collective amnesia about this incident. People see it but never seem to quite take in the seriousness of what happened. If any other politician behaved in the way that Johnson has with his lies affairs and indiscretions they would be toast but he constantly gets away with it because ‘it’s just good old funny man Boris behaving the way he always does’. I don’t understand it. Never will.

ronib Tue 30-May-23 15:47:47

Also wasn’t Carrie pregnant with their first baby at the time BJ caught Covid? I don’t remember any public sympathy for the Johnson family at that time. No so they didn’t milk it for all it was worth.

rosie1959 Tue 30-May-23 15:26:37

MaizieD

^if it had been Keir Starmer would you be so dismissive?^

Kier Starmer has had covid twice. No playacting hospitalisation needed. If he had been hospitalised I would have believed that he needed to be.

As it is, Johnson couldn't lie straight in bed. Hard luck if people don't believe him if he's telling the truth.

I have had covid twice as well not even a sniffle and not in the least ill does that mean that everyone who has it who are extremely poorly are pretending.
But this was after the vacination program. Its scraping the barrel to infer Boris Johnson was not seriously ill.

HousePlantQueen Tue 30-May-23 15:24:32

Interesting.....

Casdon Tue 30-May-23 15:19:08

HousePlantQueen

Whitewavemark2

and a traitor. See my reminder regarding his trip to Lebedev's villa. I think Putin has something on Johnson, although given his usual lack of morals, the mind boggles just what it could be that is being used to blackmail him

It’s been delayed untilThursday, in the article I posted above. They wanted until 5thJune, but that was rejected.

MaizieD Tue 30-May-23 15:17:28

if it had been Keir Starmer would you be so dismissive?

Kier Starmer has had covid twice. No playacting hospitalisation needed. If he had been hospitalised I would have believed that he needed to be.

As it is, Johnson couldn't lie straight in bed. Hard luck if people don't believe him if he's telling the truth.

HousePlantQueen Tue 30-May-23 15:10:11

Whitewavemark2

HousePlantQueen Tue 30-May-23 15:06:43

Whitewavemark2

ronib

Jenny McGee lead intensive nurse at the icu said Boris looked very very unwell. Etc.

Looking very unwell, is a far cry from deaths door, - as his PR would have you believe

Johnson looked very unwell when he was photographed, hungover, dishevelled, no security detail, after his weekend at the ex KGB officer's home in Italy.

ronib Tue 30-May-23 14:45:49

Yup the voice of reason Oreo. Bit rare but don’t give up.

Oreo Tue 30-May-23 14:43:09

About ICU and Boris Johnson.
There are private rooms for privacy if a well off / well known patient needs it, ICU is for patients who are worryingly ill.
I believe he was very ill, and think of this, if it had been Keir Starmer would you be so dismissive? I would believe Boris or Keir needed it if they were put into ICU because it’s not the patient who decides on this it’s the hospital staff who know what they’re doing.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-May-23 14:20:20

Whitewavemark2

Just heard on the news in the car that they have extended the deadline until Thursday pm.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-May-23 13:44:19

Casdon Tue 30-May-23 13:14:17

Something is clearly going on regarding the additional evidence. Delays will alway increase suspicion that some massaging is going on behind the scenes.

www.itv.com/news/2023-05-30/covid-inquiry-legal-battle-looms-over-johnson-whatsapp-requests

MaizieD Tue 30-May-23 11:52:02

ronib

The Caribbean not NZ….

She is a New Zealander but was going to work in the Caribbean.

www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/18/nurse-who-cared-for-boris-johnson-resigns-over-lack-of-respect-for-nhs-workers