Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson referred to the police for suspected further breaches of lockdown regulations.

(223 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 23-May-23 21:59:09

This story has been covered by several sources, but I think this Peston tweet explains it quite succinctly

Just to explain, because the Cabinet Office is paying Boris Johnson's multi-hundred-thousand-pound legal bills, it is technically the client in his defence against the privileges cttee. His lawyers are therefore obliged to submit all material they obtain to the CabOff. Its officials saw diary entries that suggested maybe Covid laws were broken at Chequers events hosted by the then PM. If this was a possible breach of the law, official were obliged under the civil service code to pass info to the police for investigation. It had no choice or discretion in doing this. Its actions were not politically motivated, but were obligatory under the code. It's now for the police to assess whether the law was broken. Johnson's supporters will see this as the "revenge of the blob", but officials - the blob - deny this

twitter.com/Peston/status/1661061779743555598

Wyllow3 Tue 23-May-23 22:02:45

I'm interested to see how it develops - storm in a teacup one or tow more parties or more serious -cant tell atm?

Doodledog Tue 23-May-23 22:09:32

How can it be ok to fine students for playing snowballs and women for walking together with a coffee, but turn a blind eye to the fact that the person forbidding these things is having parties?

The nearer we get to an election, the more damage this sort of thing must do to the Tories, surely?

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 22:26:42

Most people don’t care, they worry about paying the bills.

Rosie51 Tue 23-May-23 22:37:15

I think people are capable of being concerned about more than one thing at a time. Of course the cost of living crisis many are experiencing is top of their concerns, but it doesn't mean they can't also have concerns about law breaking by those who implemented those very laws. When families were unable to see loved ones even as they lay dying, when funerals and weddings were severely restricted on attendees, when a grieving widow was forced to sit 3 feet away from a comforting hand or arm, when these and all other restrictions were being obeyed by the general public, then people are perfectly capable of feeling the two finger salute from those enforcing these rules while breaking them themselves needs addressing, and not brushing under the carpet.

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 22:41:09

They may have cared if it had come out at the time but not now.

Rosie51 Tue 23-May-23 22:49:05

I'm happy to be the exception then. I'm still furious, especially the misery lockdown caused to my grandson with severe autism, learning difficulties et al. He did not cope well with being unable to keep to his normal visiting regime, and it set him back a great deal. Despite all his problems he knows rules have to be kept and didn't for one minute think he should break a lockdown rule. When he learned he could visit us in our garden he was overjoyed. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have struggled to inflict such misery on a vulnerable child.

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 22:51:25

Aww, poor little thing Rosie51 it must have been hard on him and others.

Greta Tue 23-May-23 22:54:54

I disagree, Oreo. People do still care. For many, especially those who lost family members, what they went through was traumatic and I don't believe they have now just snapped out of it.

Rosie51 Tue 23-May-23 23:04:26

Oreo

Aww, poor little thing Rosie51 it must have been hard on him and others.

It was Oreo and that's, in part, while I'll never be able to forgive Boris and co, not that he gives a toss about my or anyone else's forgiveness. I think the total lack of remorse or guilt just compounds what was a huge stain on them

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 23:04:52

The lockdowns were OTT
Awful times for those who lost family and friends. For those who didn’t tho, times move on and I can’t think of anyone I know who didn’t break lockdown rules even if just slightly, who’ll be bothered about events at Chequers.Some will, of course.

HousePlantQueen Tue 23-May-23 23:05:05

Well I still care. I am also concerned about the Cost of Living, the economic disaster that is Brexit and the planned destruction of the NHS.

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 23:05:46

Boris Johnson is an idiot and always was.

Siope Tue 23-May-23 23:10:48

I care. I care because this kind of casual and repeated lying and law-breaking damages trust in the government; because it has set the tone for current Tory politicians, including Sunak, who lies like a rug; and because I thoroughly despise anyone who thinks they are so important they are above the rules, whilst the rest of us are not.

I believe these gatherings and parties were happening - Johnson’s sister has already said she was there.

I hope the Privileges Committee do recommend a ten day minimum ban; I hope Sunak remembers his pledges about integrity and imposes it; I hope there is a by-election that Johnson loses; and I devoutly hope he never holds even minor political office again.

MaizieD Tue 23-May-23 23:39:16

One of the sources I read (can't remember which, there were several) said that this new information has been given to the Privileges Committee.
And two police forces have been informed, the Met and Thames Valley. Presumably this covers Chequers as well as Downing Street.

ronib Wed 24-May-23 04:59:42

From memory, the rules around lockdowns changed a few times over the months. We weren’t allowed to sit on park benches at some point but that restriction was lifted and we were allowed to meet more people outside with social distancing etc. So quite a difficult and traumatic situation and well documented.
Poor old taxpayer- gets hit again with BJ’s legal costs. Wonder how long it will take to resolve?

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 24-May-23 05:42:39

I didn’t suffer any loss during the height of covid but knew those who did suffer as well as having to have tiny weddings and funerals for loved ones. I also worry about the economy and the dreadful effects of Brexit. But, I still think this government and in particular Boris Johnson, deserve to be investigated and if need be, punished suitably for their failures and lawbreaking.

Ailidh Wed 24-May-23 06:11:30

Like Siope I too care because of the casual acceptance of lying.

And none of my friends, admittedly a small and select band, broke any of the Lockdown rules wittingly, and neither did I.

Even if we had, it doesn't excuse lying leaders.

MaizieD Wed 24-May-23 07:53:01

ronib

From memory, the rules around lockdowns changed a few times over the months. We weren’t allowed to sit on park benches at some point but that restriction was lifted and we were allowed to meet more people outside with social distancing etc. So quite a difficult and traumatic situation and well documented.
Poor old taxpayer- gets hit again with BJ’s legal costs. Wonder how long it will take to resolve?

You have missed the point, I think.

We know about these new breaches only because the country is paying his legal bills. If he'd been paying them himself this would never have come to light.

I don't think there will be any more legal bills to pay. The silly man is threatening to sue the Cabinet for defamation, but all the lawyer commentators I've read say that is nonsense. All the non lawyers say how can he possibly claim defamation when the whole country knows how utterly corrupt and mendacious he is? 😆

BlueBelle Wed 24-May-23 08:13:08

Boris Johnson is an idiot and always was.
….but that s just the point Oreo he’s not an idiot he’s a highly educated man who was deemed fit for the highest political role and he’s behaved idiotically but more importantly dishonestly throughout his whole life.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-May-23 08:22:03

We know about these new breaches only because the country is paying his legal bills. If he'd been paying them himself this would never have come to light.

Exactly Maisie
I feel this is a sort of Justice in itself

'tis the sport to have the engineer
Hoist with his own petard

As Johnson himself might have said! grin

ronib Wed 24-May-23 08:47:04

MaizieD yes but Sue Grey had produced a Partygate report which resulted in 120 fines, including one for Rishi Sunak. So how is it possible that Sue Grey didn’t have access to BJ’s diaries? Or did she?

Don’t tell me to hire a private detective - it’s just a discussion point.

I have of course noted two very interesting people working in the Cabinet Office but I shall spare my blushes ….

seadragon Wed 24-May-23 08:51:16

I predict a "Carry on" style newspaper cartoon featuring a Roman Emperor crying "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!'

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-May-23 08:55:26

ronib

MaizieD yes but Sue Grey had produced a Partygate report which resulted in 120 fines, including one for Rishi Sunak. So how is it possible that Sue Grey didn’t have access to BJ’s diaries? Or did she?

Don’t tell me to hire a private detective - it’s just a discussion point.

I have of course noted two very interesting people working in the Cabinet Office but I shall spare my blushes ….

I’m sure Gray had access to Johnson’s diary.

I’m not sure if your point.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-May-23 08:55:58

ronib - my understanding is that the diaries only came out because we are paying Johnson's solicitors.