Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can a woman have a penis?

(1001 Posts)
maddyone Wed 24-May-23 11:16:35

Ed Davey says they can. Keir Starmer isn’t sure. Can women have a penis?

Foxygloves Tue 30-May-23 05:12:23

VioletSky

I'm pro choice

Some of the stories I have read about women denied an abortion recently have absolutely broken my heart

I really hope if there was ever a chance the law could change here we would be able to stand against it in numbers so great we couldn't be denied

I never thought I would see that change anywhere. It's like a bad dream

What @VS does that have to with the price of sliced bread? Or are we determined to reach 1000 posts at any cost?
We've had repetition, possibly even hesitation- now deviation?

Ailidh Tue 30-May-23 05:57:11

Mornington Crescent.

FannyCornforth Tue 30-May-23 06:34:21

grin Ailidh, very good!

DiamondLily Tue 30-May-23 07:10:29

Abortion has nothing to do with this. That should always be a woman's choice.

Thankfully trans women can't hijack this debate - as whatever they think they are, they cannot conceive, bear or give birth to a child.

Because they are biological men. 🙄

Mollygo Tue 30-May-23 08:03:08

I’m pro feminism- an advocate for the rights of women.

Some of the stories I have read about death threats, harm and intimidation of natal women by women have really broken my heart.

I really hope that following the decisions of some sporting bodies, the only people with penises (males) will cease to attempt to hijack female safe spaces.

I never thought we would be in a world where some females would argue against biological fact to support the misogyny of people with penises (males).

I certainly never envisaged the horror of people advocating the arming of children.

I wouldn’t have believed anyone would advocate that for children confused about their gender, especially since, according to reports, many of these children are ASC and might have difficulty understanding the ramifications of their actions.

It’s an evolving nightmare.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-May-23 08:05:18

Well said Mollygo 👏👏👏

Iam64 Tue 30-May-23 08:09:13

Another shout for your post mollygo 👏👏👏

Mollygo Tue 30-May-23 08:16:47

Iam64

Another shout for your post mollygo 👏👏👏

Thank you. I do realise that I may be reported for that post. So if I’m not here tomorrow. . .🤗

Iam64 Tue 30-May-23 08:18:20

Mollygo - I do hope not. I can see nothing in your post that warrants reporting, much less deleting

Aveline Tue 30-May-23 08:33:55

I read a good suggestion today. Develop new admin forms with two categories: biological sex at birth and also preferred gender. Preferred gender can be altered and amended if necessary but biological sex is permanent.

Mollygo Tue 30-May-23 08:36:14

Aveline

I read a good suggestion today. Develop new admin forms with two categories: biological sex at birth and also preferred gender. Preferred gender can be altered and amended if necessary but biological sex is permanent.

Good idea, especially in hospitals. It would ensure people were not offered inappropriate treatment.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-May-23 08:50:25

Great post Mollygo and nothing reportable.

That is a good idea Aveline, but will it ever be implementedhmm.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-May-23 08:59:30

Aveline

A good idea especially for sex specific medical problems like prostate, uterine/ovarian and even heart attacks present differently in women as they do in men…

Doodledog Tue 30-May-23 09:09:07

Iam64

Mollygo - I do hope not. I can see nothing in your post that warrants reporting, much less deleting

Me neither, but there is often no obvious reason for posts being deleted.

You're right about the evolving nightmare. Just as you think the misogyny and child exploitation couldn't get any worse, this happens.

Obviously the arming of children will stay illegal, and it is just a lunatic fringe who are suggesting that it should happen. But it is telling that the first reaction on here to the banner was that it must be fake (although it just takes a very quick GIS to see that was not the case), a suggestion that it must be 'ironic' and an attempted deflection into the rights and wrongs of Posie Parker and her views on things other than trans issues. Not actual support for the sentiment, but a refusal to condemn it outright. And that's just on here - there will be others out there who see the face-hiding banner holders as heroes.

One of my many worries about this whole issue is that support for things like this plays into the hands of those who want to undo the tolerance that has evolved into other areas of life in the UK. I saw GB News for the first (and probably last) time last night, and was struck by the number of times the word 'woke' was used as a sneer and an insult. It was a constant refrain - a drip, drip, drip. In this case it was ITV who were accused of being 'woke', and the 'solution' suggested was to close it down, or replace the people at the top, presumably with less 'woke' people. Maybe they do need to be replaced, but not, IMO, because of 'wokeness', yet the more incidents like this get support, the more ammunition is given to those who want to 'ban', to close down, to silence others, and that is a lot more likely to happen than armouries in nurseries. It's all part of the same cancel culture that closes down dissent.

Galaxy Tue 30-May-23 09:17:09

You took one for the team there doodledog, I just read your comments on GB news and didnt have to watch it smile

Doodledog Tue 30-May-23 09:22:26

It is atrocious grin. The set is like one of those pop-up shops selling cheap tat, and the general atmosphere is similar to local news websites that have ads and other click-bait getting in the way all the time. And that's without the utter drivel being talked. It was so bad it was almost comical.

FannyCornforth Tue 30-May-23 09:23:54

Doodledog someone stupidly persuaded me to listen to Piers Morgan’s podcast (I can’t stand to actually look at him).

And that’s exactly what I thought;‘woke’ this, ‘wokery’ that, and not to mention ‘the war on woke’. 😣

I won’t be doing it again for quite a while…

FannyCornforth Tue 30-May-23 09:25:04

Doodledog it’s actually 100% better than it was when it first started! Honestly!

Galaxy Tue 30-May-23 09:26:58

I havent watched it but I do like Andrew Doyle who I think is on it. He is intelligent and has interesting things to say.

Foxygloves Tue 30-May-23 09:28:03

Ailidh

Mornington Crescent.

👍🤣

DiamondLily Tue 30-May-23 09:57:29

Looks like there will be another ruck tonight at the Oxford Union.

Funny how that place used to be known as the bastion of free speech, where subjects were debated, often disagreed with, but, generally, with a mature attitude without all the screaming, shouting and threats.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12137743/Rishi-Sunak-says-gender-critical-feminists-speech-Oxford-UniversityTrans-ahead.html

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:04:50

If women can have a penis, does that make men redundant, superfluous to requirements?

Be careful what you wish for, Keir and Ed.

Galaxy Tue 30-May-23 10:09:50

Keir is rowing back as quickly as he can, he is sending out the women to say it at the moment but that's not really a long term strategysmile.

VioletSky Tue 30-May-23 10:13:14

If 40 people say yes and 100 people say no but it goes ahead... Where is democracy?

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/29/kathleen-stock-says-she-is-a-moderate-as-protests-planned-over-oxford-debate

Doodledog Tue 30-May-23 10:16:22

The Oxford Union thing is troubling too. I know that true 'free speech' has never been allowed, and often for good reason, but the current trend of cancelling, banning, and otherwise silencing people simply for disagreeing is very troubling, and IME when it comes to this issue the vast majority of that comes from the trans lobby.

Galaxy yes - something a lot of us have been wondering about for some time is how the LP will roll back from their captured state when the scales fall from their eyes. It won't be easy, but it seems to be starting.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion