Gransnet forums

News & politics

Please sign Prue Leith's petition on Assisted Dying

(84 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 25-May-23 19:40:31

Some of you will have seen the TV programme that Prue Leith and her son made earlier this year, looking at the pros and cons of assisted dying.
Prue has written a letter to call on party leaders for a national debate on assisted dying. Here is the link if you would like to sign it:
action.dignityindying.org.uk/page/127582/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=Prue_Letter_Kicker

sharon103 Fri 26-May-23 17:27:26

Signed

Riverwalk Fri 26-May-23 17:54:18

It's a no from me.

Who are you expecting to do the assisting?

DiamondLily Fri 26-May-23 18:08:45

I've got a degenerative disease, and I support it. But, I don't trust governments, whoever they are, so I've got a Living Will, and a stockpile of the drugs I would need to end it.

Shame that it's not easier though. 🙁

Hithere Fri 26-May-23 18:11:25

I have put to sleep several cats as it was the best for them

I would do the assisting part for a loved one if that gave quality of life and dignity

fancythat Fri 26-May-23 18:57:27

I think people need to be careful what they write on here.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-May-23 19:00:17

Why do they need to be careful?

Smileless2012 Fri 26-May-23 19:50:58

Of course it's appropriate Bella. It gives those of us who are in favour the opportunity to 'nail our colours to the mast'.

I can only hope that I would have the courage to do the same Hithere.

GrandmaKT Fri 26-May-23 23:10:51

They have 38,772 signatures just now - trying to get to 50,000

nanaK54 Fri 26-May-23 23:17:56

Signed

biglouis Sat 27-May-23 00:42:23

she decided that her life had been well lived but time to depart this world

This remainds me of my much loved grandmother at 96. Not bedridden or incontinent but riddled with arthritis so she could no longer even do the needlework she loved or read because of the headaches. Her only pleasures were chatting and listening to the radio. Her mind remained very sharp to the end.

She would never have taken her life - she would have regarded it as a sin. But she said she would be grateful for "the Lord to take her" in her sleep and I know she prayed for her life to end.

Hetty58 Sat 27-May-23 07:20:23

Signed - as we really need a full debate and many open discussions about this. (Living will and DNR given to GP for medical notes too.)

Galaxy, my concerns for the vulnerable are rather different, having witnessed three ambulance crews spending over an hour trying to resuscitate my dear friend.

She had advanced terminal secondary brain tumours - yet their reply to our questions was 'It's our job, we have to try everything'.

So, we just had to watch the torture. What's the point of dying - to be brought back, black and blue with broken ribs, to die again? The world has gone mad and common sense flew out of the window.

GrandmaKT Sat 27-May-23 17:31:24

Hetty flowers
I think it speaks volumes that the majority of us, who are nearer to the end of our lives than the beginning, and more likely to be at risk of being 'vulnerable' are in favour of assisted dying legislation. (Many through life experiences with parents and loved ones, as mentioned in this thread).
Nearly there! 40,423

VioletSky Sat 27-May-23 17:34:45

I think it needs to be personal choice, just like it is personal choice to be a doner or have a DNR

Surely any well trained professional doctor could be trusted to agree with a patient that their quality of life has lowered enough to enable this decision?

I don't think it would be right to ask any doctor to perform this but enabling a patient to instigate this process themselves in some way?

Smileless2012 Sat 27-May-23 17:41:20

I agree VS just as not all doctors who are qualified to do so should be expected to carry out abortions if that goes against their personal beliefs.

When someone goes to Dignitas, they have to be able to take the medication themselves, it cannot be administered by anyone else.

Hithere Sat 27-May-23 17:51:17

Medical personnel dealing with chronic and/or end of life cases have a much different point of view

It is refreshing how much they value the input of the patient and the family

Bella23 Sun 28-May-23 10:26:06

I agree VS. I think it is a VERY personal choice and a very difficult one deciding to end a loved one's life ,is much more difficult than taking a much-loved pet to the vet.
When my mother was ill I was given 3 options by the Dr's let her fade away with morphine. A small invasive operation under local anaesthetic or major surgery that he did not feel her heart was strong enough to take. We had a long discussion and I chose the middle road which unfortunately did not work.
Should I have gone for the third and let her stand her chance relations seemed to think so, or the first where she would have slept her life away or the one I did? I still wonder if I made the right choice.
I made it the Dr gave me information and as many options as he could. Why should we ask health workers to make that choice for us when all their training is to preserve life.

PiscesLady Sun 28-May-23 11:31:12

Signed

Smileless2012 Sun 28-May-23 11:36:47

I don't agree that supporting Assisted Dying requires health workers to make the decision on our behalf Bella. The decision is made by the individual and those in the medical profession who are legally (in other countries) able to prescribe the medication required and are happy to do so, adhere to the wishes of the one concerned. They do not make that decision for them.

Kalu Sun 28-May-23 12:03:06

Signed

VioletSky Sun 28-May-23 12:05:08

Bella I think it should be a decision made by the patient, like a DNR

But in your situation where you had to make a choice, that's incredibly difficult and I'm sorry anyone would make you feel bad for trying to give your mum the best chance. Please don't let this haunt you

gardenoma Sun 28-May-23 17:15:18

Signed.

Bella23 Sun 28-May-23 17:34:09

Thanks, VS but unfortunately my mother was heavily sedated and could not answer the question. I had never discussed such a situation with her, she wasn't the most approachable of people and I knew when asked about my father she had said no. If she had been conscious would I have wanted to ask the question and frighten her?
Other relations seemed to think I should have let her undergo surgery which would almost certainly have had the same outcom
Questions about assisted dying need to be discussed as a family when everyone is able enough to understand the implications

VioletSky Sun 28-May-23 17:40:20

I'm sorry but that's not what I mean

We don't have assisted dying currently, that's what I'm talking about

moggiek Sun 28-May-23 17:44:06

Signed

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-May-23 17:51:24

Bella23

Thanks, VS but unfortunately my mother was heavily sedated and could not answer the question. I had never discussed such a situation with her, she wasn't the most approachable of people and I knew when asked about my father she had said no. If she had been conscious would I have wanted to ask the question and frighten her?
Other relations seemed to think I should have let her undergo surgery which would almost certainly have had the same outcom
Questions about assisted dying need to be discussed as a family when everyone is able enough to understand the implications

Indeed they do, and written instructions left so that anyone having to make this decision knows it’s what their loved one wanted. Never leave that for another day - tonight may rob you of the ability to do so.