Gransnet forums

News & politics

Please sign Prue Leith's petition on Assisted Dying

(84 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 25-May-23 19:40:31

Some of you will have seen the TV programme that Prue Leith and her son made earlier this year, looking at the pros and cons of assisted dying.
Prue has written a letter to call on party leaders for a national debate on assisted dying. Here is the link if you would like to sign it:
action.dignityindying.org.uk/page/127582/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=Prue_Letter_Kicker

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-May-23 17:53:55

We do have assisted dying VS. Withdrawal of feeding and/or heavy doses of morphine.

VioletSky Sun 28-May-23 17:55:22

Germanshepherdsmum

We do have assisted dying VS. Withdrawal of feeding and/or heavy doses of morphine.

I did not know this

Hope it helps my comment make sense now

Hithere Sun 28-May-23 17:56:11

Withdrawal of feeding with morphine does not equal dignity for me

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-May-23 18:02:39

Nor me Hithere. It’s what happened with my Mum. There was no other way but I wish there had been. Naturally this was not disclosed on her death certificate.

Hithere Sun 28-May-23 18:11:32

So sorry you had to go through that, gsm

VioletSky Sun 28-May-23 18:14:34

I'm sorry you went through that too GSM

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-May-23 18:51:59

Thanks. It is still very painful 23 years later.

seadragon Sun 28-May-23 19:47:22

I wrote to our local Liberal Democrat MP, Liam McArthur about Assisted Dying and he emailed me on 11/10/22 to say he is now in the process of presenting a bill on the subject. He also sent me the link: to his proposal: www.parliament.scot/bills-and-laws/proposals-for-bills/proposed-assisted-dying-for-terminally-ill-adults-scotland-bill I realise I am probably one of many who wrote to him and he was unable to say how long the process will take. I have also recently read Jenny Worth's book: " In the Midst of Life". (She also wrote "Call the Midwife".) It gives an alternative view whilst at the same time expressing reservations about how medical science may be extending life in certain cirumstances to the point that it is beyond unbearable. I used to believe that palliative/hospice care was the answer but I have read books by Palliative Care consultants where they have been unable to alleviate terrible suffering while another person preferred to undergo all manner of indignities and suffering while fiercely clinging to life. It is very much a matter of personal choice. That is the important thing: that we have that choice with effective safeguards to protect the vulnerable.