Gransnet forums

News & politics

cyclists meet King Charles out for a walk at balmoral

(73 Posts)
lemsip Thu 21-Sep-23 18:37:27

King Charles Tells Cyclists 'I Like My Walking' After They Meet Him Hiking Solo in Scotland

:https://people.com/king-charles-cyclists-likes-walking-solo-hike-balmoral-7972612
A group of cyclists were left stunned after bumping into the royal hiking alone on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland and captured the moment on a GoPro video shared to McTrail Rider’s YouTube channel on Monday.

all over the news

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Sep-23 21:18:03

I think I have had this discussion with you before Anniebach and as we are never going to agree, I will not be going to go through it again.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Sep-23 21:19:10

icanhandthemback

I think I have had this discussion with you before Anniebach and as we are never going to agree, I will not be going to go through it again.

Oh, what a shame, I just made popcorn in the microwave!

🍿

Anniebach Fri 22-Sep-23 21:19:54

Selective picking of quotes

henetha Fri 22-Sep-23 23:25:10

Got that one wrong, Grant. Yay!

henetha Fri 22-Sep-23 23:25:37

Whoops...Grant...grin

henetha Fri 22-Sep-23 23:26:37

My phone does not like the word
G r a n y........I wonder why? 😁

Anniebach Fri 22-Sep-23 23:35:56

Did the royal family not give Osbourne House to the nation ?

henetha Fri 22-Sep-23 23:37:07

I think they did..

Catterygirl Sat 23-Sep-23 00:07:24

Must admit, wondered where his security was. When I met the Queen at the Baltic Exchange where I worked, couldn’t miss the snipers on every roof in St. Mary Axe.

Jaxie Sun 24-Sep-23 11:50:26

I cannot understand the deference shown to the royals. King Charles does not need 14 houses & palaces when his subjects’ children are dying, lungs ruined by having to live in mould-ridden rented accommodation.

Buttonjugs Sun 24-Sep-23 11:54:38

I can’t think of him as a king. I respected his mother but now it seems time to give up the notion of a royal family. It’s archaic. The money they are given would be very helpful to the poor and hospitals etc. We could turn their residences into tourist attractions and make money from it. It’s appalling that these people are so rich when others are struggling to eat.

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-23 11:56:20

Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace is open to the public
for part of the year

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Sep-23 12:02:02

Anniebach

Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace is open to the public
for part of the year

As is Sandringham and Kensington Palace

HiPpyChick57 Sun 24-Sep-23 12:50:51

@Buttonjugs I entirely agree with everything you say. It’s terrible that they live opulent lives in clean residences (ivory castles) while people are fighting to be heard about the state of their houses and flats that are causing children to be sick and dying. It’s heinous it really is and it makes my blood boil 😡

Tamayra Sun 24-Sep-23 12:53:44

Time to give them all the boot I reckon !

Jaxie Sun 24-Sep-23 13:09:47

Yippeee, posts from people who agree with me. Usually royalists trot out moth-eaten arguments about how much revenue the Royals generate from tourism and how if we went republican we should end up with a crook for a president. I don’t think crooks are in charge of France or Germany.

Grany Sun 24-Sep-23 13:11:06

Buttonjugs

I can’t think of him as a king. I respected his mother but now it seems time to give up the notion of a royal family. It’s archaic. The money they are given would be very helpful to the poor and hospitals etc. We could turn their residences into tourist attractions and make money from it. It’s appalling that these people are so rich when others are struggling to eat.

This

Grandma70s Sun 24-Sep-23 13:20:01

They are nowhere near the richest people in the country. Rishi Sunak is richer than the king, and so are many less known names. Do you resent them all?

Grany Sun 24-Sep-23 13:44:47

Grandma70s

They are nowhere near the richest people in the country. Rishi Sunak is richer than the king, and so are many less known names. Do you resent them all?

They get 85 million funding from treasury soon in 2025 to go up to 125 million 45% increase. Both Charles and son William get over 40 million a year from Duchies. No inheritance tax from Queen said to be 650 million All told we give this family 345 million soon to be 390 million a year! This funding goes up not down Rents from their estates. Don't pay tax only voluntarily. Money in off shore tax havens. Use of 14 grand houses castles palaces. Transparency law exemption hides their wealth.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 24-Sep-23 13:59:44

Grany

Where did they get the money to buy that huge estate with many, many acres. Asked for an increase in funding and bought it with that. No inheritance tax paid. There are calls for RF to pay reparation for their colonial past and in which the Windsors benefited enormously and still do. In 70s Queen had a transparency law changed to hide her embarrassing wealth. RF looking after own interests its all they do.

If you are talking of Balmoral, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert bought it out of her private fortune, which had nothing whatsoever to do either with the Duchy of Lancaster or any government funding of her day.

Balmoral is still a private estate, and whether you believe it or not, no state funding goes to its upkeep. The royal residence in Scotland is Holyrood House in Edinburgh.

Grany Sun 24-Sep-23 13:59:57

They waste tax payers money daily getting ferried around to where they want to go. Don't work, a few engagements a year. Proven they don't help charities. Tourism not dependant on them. Only supports the government, so we are denied an effective head of state for the country. A republic can do pageantry.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Sep-23 14:06:59

Grany

They waste tax payers money daily getting ferried around to where they want to go. Don't work, a few engagements a year. Proven they don't help charities. Tourism not dependant on them. Only supports the government, so we are denied an effective head of state for the country. A republic can do pageantry.

You are beginning to sound rather envious Grany 🥹

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-23 14:28:01

A republic means a president, a president means a politician, given our prime ministers, Johnson, Truss, Sunak etc , or leaders of the opposition, Corbyn, Miliband , Kinnock, Foot etc,

Pointless saying it doesn’t mean a politician, only a politician or
a very wealthy person would stand.

HiPpyChick57 Sun 24-Sep-23 15:09:50

Grandma70s

While there are people struggling to feed their families,and I’m not talking about people on benefits, but low earners, then yes I resent them

HiPpyChick57 Sun 24-Sep-23 15:11:20

Tamayra

Time to give them all the boot I reckon !

Definitely!