Gransnet forums

News & politics

cyclists meet King Charles out for a walk at balmoral

(73 Posts)
lemsip Thu 21-Sep-23 18:37:27

King Charles Tells Cyclists 'I Like My Walking' After They Meet Him Hiking Solo in Scotland

:https://people.com/king-charles-cyclists-likes-walking-solo-hike-balmoral-7972612
A group of cyclists were left stunned after bumping into the royal hiking alone on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland and captured the moment on a GoPro video shared to McTrail Rider’s YouTube channel on Monday.

all over the news

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-23 15:21:05

Who would you choose to replace the King ?

Jaxie Sun 24-Sep-23 15:23:34

That was a cheap crack, saying somebody sounded envious. It isn’t envy of the wealthy that makes some of us seek social justice - but compassion.

Parsley3 Sun 24-Sep-23 15:24:59

I would prefer it if the Head of State actually had a choice in the matter. Charles, William and George destined from birth to be kings whether they wanted to be or not. I hope that if George decides that it is not for him, then he can pass the buck to one of his siblings, who is up for it,without a great outcry of duty from the British public. Who would want a lifetime of scrutiny? It is really quite cruel.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Sep-23 15:31:10

Jaxie

That was a cheap crack, saying somebody sounded envious. It isn’t envy of the wealthy that makes some of us seek social justice - but compassion.

Do you truly think that being a monarchist automatically means that I am lacking in compassion?

Do you actually think that by being a Republic the poor would immediately become richer?

nadateturbe Sun 24-Sep-23 15:33:13

Agree with all those against the monarchy. Not envy.

Jaxie Sun 24-Sep-23 16:17:49

Do you think I’m an idiot?

nadateturbe Sun 24-Sep-23 16:35:12

If the monarchy returned their unearned wealth and lived off their generous allowance for their 'job' the NHS would definitely be richer.

Jaberwok Sun 24-Sep-23 17:20:18

I'm puzzled. What Estate has the King? or is it the RF collectively bought? When did he ask for a pay rise to purchase it? I can only think of the Balmoral and Sandringham Estate that the King actually owns, both bought by Prince Albert and Queen Victoria. The king does have Highgrove House, but that was bought by the Dutchy of Cornwall in 1980, so hardly recently. Most royal properties belong to the State.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Sep-23 17:26:23

nadateturbe

If the monarchy returned their unearned wealth and lived off their generous allowance for their 'job' the NHS would definitely be richer.

Do you really think that?

Any Government can put more into the NHS if it wants to, it is in no way related to the Privy purse

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-23 18:52:28

Nothing from the republicans re what they want to replace the monarchy.

nadateturbe Sun 24-Sep-23 19:23:57

I just don't see the point, Annie. We've debated this for ages. I just couldn't resist a little comment. smile

Same with the privy purse. Maybe research where it comes from. Greed is a sin.
Grany you deserve a medal for perseverance. I'm off.

nadateturbe Sun 24-Sep-23 19:24:40

2nd comment for GG13.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 20:13:02

Do you actually think that by being a Republic the poor would immediately become richer?

Of course they wouldn't.

Anyone thinking a republic is the answer to the country's problems needs to do some research about other countries.

LindyB Sun 24-Sep-23 21:47:02

Why do so many nice conversations on Gransnet end up with people making very nasty comments. It can be so depressing to read, so maybe I just should not!

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 21:58:51

LindyB

Why do so many nice conversations on Gransnet end up with people making very nasty comments. It can be so depressing to read, so maybe I just should not!

Nice conversations about the Royal Family?

No, there can be no nice chats because republicans take over with their propaganda.

V3ra Sun 24-Sep-23 22:02:00

Anniebach

Did the royal family not give Osbourne House to the nation ?

We visited Osborne House over August Bank Holiday weekend.
It's run by English Heritage.

TiggyW Mon 25-Sep-23 01:22:19

Parsley3 - Prince Harry has seen the light. I don’t blame him for wanting to leave the Royal Family. Their treatment of his mother and his wife have affected him deeply.

HiPpyChick57 Mon 25-Sep-23 01:32:27

The posters asking who would we have if we didn’t have a royal family have obviously forgotten that we have a government ruling us and not the royal family. I didn’t think the rf had much power if any. We would be the same as France, Greece, Bulgaria, Italy, Malta, Portugal and all the other countries in Europe and the rest of the world that don’t have a monarchy. We would either have an elected parliament headed by a prime minister, president, or some kind of head of state that we could vote out if they proved to be rubbish but it seems we are stuck with the monarchy whether we like it or not.

Parsley3 Mon 25-Sep-23 07:33:30

Yes we are stuck with whoever happens to be next in line regardless of whether we want them or not. The poor beggers don't have a say in it either. The late Queen's father was distraught when he was forced to become king.

nanna8 Mon 25-Sep-23 07:42:17

You don’t know what sort of person they might choose instead. Better the devil you know. The record for choosing PMs isn’t that good for a start. There are some horrible rich creeps around and chances are one of them would get the Presidential nod.

HiPpyChick57 Mon 25-Sep-23 08:00:58

nanna8

You don’t know what sort of person they might choose instead. Better the devil you know. The record for choosing PMs isn’t that good for a start. There are some horrible rich creeps around and chances are one of them would get the Presidential nod.

Yes I agree with all you say but if something was put in place that we didn’t have to put up with them for a full term if we the people didn’t think they were up to the job.
Also if the country had the right to call a general election instead of the politicians then they would be more liable to do the right thing for the country instead of lining their own pockets.
Transfer the balance of power to us and we may end up having a government that actually does good for ALL of the people not just their chums in high places.

Daddima Mon 25-Sep-23 12:23:18

HiPpyChick57

nanna8

Yes I agree with all you say but if something was put in place that we didn’t have to put up with them for a full term if we the people didn’t think they were up to the job.
Also if the country had the right to call a general election instead of the politicians then they would be more liable to do the right thing for the country instead of lining their own pockets.
Transfer the balance of power to us and we may end up having a government that actually does good for ALL of the people not just their chums in high places.

That sounds admirable, but I can’t see any way it would work in practice. How would ‘the people’ let it be known they don’t think the head of state is up to the job? And how would they call an election?
I’m also not sure how much difference the money paid to the royals ( bearing in mind that a President would need to be paid for too) would actually make to the NHS or the homeless.