Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just how stupid do the Tories think we are?

(159 Posts)
CvD66 Fri 22-Sep-23 11:03:37

‘Keep people fearful and they are easier to lead’ is a long held, erroneous theory often espoused by politicians. Sunak’s latest claim to cancel 7 environmental policies were designed to make people fearful - and to be relieved that he ‘cancelled’ them. These 7 policies did not exist. There are vague hints of elements of these in some enviromental research papers but NO ONE has remotely suggested these will be implemented. Yet Sunak can blithely announce he has cancelled these so we are all supposed to be delighted. What he has done is provoke lots of derision and other ‘ideas’ of things he could cancel next eg: toothpaste tax., air tax etc Help people recognise they are being duped!!

growstuff Tue 26-Sep-23 22:51:56

MerylStreep

Casdon

It makes little sense to me, particularly in the current market. If you privately rent and receive housing support payment which is paid by the government (average private rental cost is example, say, now £800 compared with social rent of, say £500), the government is paying more every week towards your rental - to a private landlord. Social housing is ultimately more cost effective to the government as well as, of course, to the tenant.
See the figures below.

www.nimblefins.co.uk/business-insurance/landlord-insurance-uk/average-rent-uk

How true. A friend, now retired, was the maintenance manager for one of the largest private landlords in my town.
I know the eye watering amounts of money some of these landlords are earning.

As I've mentioned previously, my former husband is landlord with quite a substantial portfolio. Obviously, I am no longer privy to the details of his finances, but I do hear snippets from my children and I see the lifestyle he leads. He's a qualified graduate surveyor, but realised 20 years ago that he can make more money and do very little work from being a landlord.

growstuff Tue 26-Sep-23 22:53:33

Casdon

It makes little sense to me, particularly in the current market. If you privately rent and receive housing support payment which is paid by the government (average private rental cost is example, say, now £800 compared with social rent of, say £500), the government is paying more every week towards your rental - to a private landlord. Social housing is ultimately more cost effective to the government as well as, of course, to the tenant.
See the figures below.

www.nimblefins.co.uk/business-insurance/landlord-insurance-uk/average-rent-uk

I couldn't agree more. It's madness at every level.

Katie59 Wed 27-Sep-23 07:46:15

The problem is that social housing is being /has been sold and not replaced and the system is out of balance. I would like to think a labour government would change it but Blair didn’t.

Casdon Wed 27-Sep-23 11:33:36

Katie59

The problem is that social housing is being /has been sold and not replaced and the system is out of balance. I would like to think a labour government would change it but Blair didn’t.

Look to Wales Katie59. Both direct council housing and social housing schemes are being prioritised and funded here, under our Labour Government. It’s not easy to finance because it’s counter to the UK government’s policy, but it’s already happening regardless.

Norah Wed 27-Sep-23 13:43:55

growstuff

Norah

Out of interest, what is a better personal investment (for savings)?

If you're looking at it from a macro-economic viewpoint, investment in businesses, which employ people, would be a better investment. Apparently, business investment in the UK is at an all time low.

Look to all the people employed in housing maintenance. People who do plumbing, electrical, painting, window washers, gardeners. Then think of the accountants, solicitors, letting agents. Well run rentals have a plethora of people in businesses employed. Rentals are a business and can be run well.

Dinahmo Wed 27-Sep-23 18:25:27

Norah I'm sure that there are more landlords who do the maintenance themselves rather than employ the various trades that you mention.

growstuff Wed 27-Sep-23 18:44:20

Norah

growstuff

Norah

Out of interest, what is a better personal investment (for savings)?

If you're looking at it from a macro-economic viewpoint, investment in businesses, which employ people, would be a better investment. Apparently, business investment in the UK is at an all time low.

Look to all the people employed in housing maintenance. People who do plumbing, electrical, painting, window washers, gardeners. Then think of the accountants, solicitors, letting agents. Well run rentals have a plethora of people in businesses employed. Rentals are a business and can be run well.

I would agree with you about well-run rentals, but many rentals aren't well-run.

I don't accept your argument about the employment of plumbers, electricians, etc. If the work needs doing, it doesn't matter who owns the home - landlords or owner occupiers.

In any case, rentals always end up with a transfer of wealth from those who have least to those who have most, which isn't healthy for society.

growstuff Wed 27-Sep-23 18:48:32

PS. You really don't seem to understand what I'm talking about. If people have spare cash, all they're doing is playing real-life Monopoly if they buy property. Investing in a business which creates something redistributes wealth amongst a wider range of people and contributes to improvement in living standards.

PS. Have you ever thought of retail consumers as needy because they buy things from shops? Who do you think profits from the transactions?