Gransnet forums

News & politics

20mph speed limit....for or against?

(230 Posts)
Chestnut Sun 24-Sep-23 17:10:29

The 20mph speed limit has started in Wales and is supposed to be coming to England. Are you for or against?

I think the problem is not the statutory speed limit but the way people drive. We have speeding, drink driving and selfish behaviour on the roads, which have nothing to do with the speed limit.

I'd rather see 20mph near schools and hospitals and selected areas, not all built up areas. There is a petition in Wales with nearly half a million signatures and I'm not surprised.
www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1816115/wales-20mph-speed-limit-petition-protest

Casdon Sun 24-Sep-23 18:47:20

Salti

I will never visit Wales again. It is obviously run by people who do not share my views.

Oh dear Salti, are you going to emigrate if Labour win the next general election - that would be your only option?

CoolCoco Sun 24-Sep-23 18:53:26

I live in a 20 mph zone, it has been for ages . It’s not a problem., even though I’ve been done for speeding at 24 mph. Can’t understand why people are so incensed about it. It saves lives. But of course cars are more important than people in some peoples minds.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 24-Sep-23 19:04:52

I would be more likely to visit Wales with the 20mph limit, Salti, so we cancel each other out. Good for Wales, Casdon!

Mamissimo Sun 24-Sep-23 19:16:25

Against - last Monday we drove from Fishguard to Hampshire in the dead of night.....a stunt we often pull. This time it took 3 hrs to reach Bristol instead of 2.

We faced multiple 20's, the clean air 50's on the motorways, the road works 50's......

Usually when travel to Ireland we use this route. We spend money on the way. Never again because the only people driving were off the ferry! All children were asleep, all schools closed....all pedestrians comatose. Daft!

Katie59 Sun 24-Sep-23 19:17:13

On housing estates and near schools, yes, generally in built up areas no. Wales seems have done the opposite all built up areas and some exemptions.

M0nica Sun 24-Sep-23 19:39:36

Mixed feelings, we live in Oxfordshire, which is doing a Wales and I think the main problem is the speed limit needs to be applied selctively.

In our village, for example, no one is arguing about the residential areas going down to 20 miles an hour, but we have a major road going through the village, most of it between fields or our huge open green. Where it goes through the green there is a deep ditch either side. There has not been an accidents there in the nearly 30 years we have lived here. There is no reason why the mile or so of road going through open land should be reduced to 20mph.

In other villages, there are roads that just skirt the edge of villages, sometimes with no houses on them at all but because there is a village nameplate in two places, you need to slow down to 20 miles an hour.

As I said I am not opposed to the 20 mph speed limit in principle, I am all for it in residential roads, but I think where roads are in village boundaries but do not go through residential areas, they should be exempted.

MrsKen33 Sun 24-Sep-23 19:43:41

We live in Wales and we went out on the first day of 20mins. All very erratic as where it changes to 30, Long streams of cars moving through villages and some not caring at all and going 40. Perhaps it will all calm down. At the moment there is a massive petition to change back.

MrsKen33 Sun 24-Sep-23 19:44:04

20 m p h

ronib Sun 24-Sep-23 19:54:28

Any chance of speed limits for cyclists riding on pavements am wondering….?

lixy Sun 24-Sep-23 20:09:18

For - although our wide roads are fine at 30mph most of the day it's easier to have a consistent limit so everyone knows exactly where they are.
One road near here is 30mph for the most part but switches to 40mph for about 50 yards before going back to 30, no idea why!

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 20:19:27

I wish the signs were bigger. We keep finding ourselves on 20 mph roads and missing them even with two of us looking out for them.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 20:37:43

It's even been introduced on some trunk roads here.

People are joking about trying to keep up with 20mph in the rush hours.
Or asking if cyclists are allowed to go at more than 20mph because they keep overtaking cars.

In some places there is a 20mph sign but 30mph newly painted on the road 🤔

Some motorways are 50 or even 40mph.

Wales is grinding to a halt.

20mph around schools is a good idea.

Casdon Sun 24-Sep-23 20:44:38

Isn’t the 50mph M4 speed limit only for four junctions between junction 24 at the Coldra and junction 28 in Tredegar Park in Newport Callistemon21, because of pollution? I’ve not seen it on any other sections of the M4 in Wales but maybe it is.
I find that section a lot less annoying than the M5, which had roadworks near Worcester for ever, or so it seems, or the M42 which has constant lane widening work going on - I hate those concrete lane barriers they use.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 20:56:38

Casdon

Isn’t the 50mph M4 speed limit only for four junctions between junction 24 at the Coldra and junction 28 in Tredegar Park in Newport Callistemon21, because of pollution? I’ve not seen it on any other sections of the M4 in Wales but maybe it is.
I find that section a lot less annoying than the M5, which had roadworks near Worcester for ever, or so it seems, or the M42 which has constant lane widening work going on - I hate those concrete lane barriers they use.

The traffic grinds to a halt and the pollution must be far worse as a result.
It's 50 mph on the M48, which is not a busy motorway, which people believe is an experiment.

LadyGracie Sun 24-Sep-23 21:15:43

Definitely against, it's an absolute disaster.
We've had 20 mph around schools for a long time, I agree with that, but only that.

Casdon Sun 24-Sep-23 21:18:10

Callistemon21

Casdon

The traffic grinds to a halt and the pollution must be far worse as a result.
It's 50 mph on the M48, which is not a busy motorway, which people believe is an experiment.

I think it’s the Brynglas tunnels that’s the problem, I agree it’s a pain - but it is only four junctions, not the whole of the M4 in Wales as a whole?

I used to travel on the M48 frequently, and it was very quiet. I’m not sure what benefit there is in that being 50mph, if any, but to be fair I can see why they are having to do it for that stretch on the M4, I think that’s a necessity not a whim.

Siope Sun 24-Sep-23 21:22:28

I’m in favour.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 21:48:50

Siope

I’m in favour.

It will cost the economy £billions.

A 20mph limit near schools is a good idea.

Fleurpepper Sun 24-Sep-23 22:01:53

Near schools a good idea, but not generally.

lixy Sun 24-Sep-23 22:08:28

Yes school areas of course - and also near hospitals, nursing homes, care homes, police, ambulance and fire stations, doctor and dentist's surgeries - all being areas where pedestrians are distracted for one reason or another and drivers need to take extra care.
And anywhere near a pub of course - so make it everywhere so everyone knows the rules.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:12:41

Fleurpepper

Near schools a good idea, but not generally.

Obviously every journey takes at least half as long again, ok for those who are retired or travelling for leisure but as far as people travelling to and from work, making deliveries, carers going from patient to patient are concerned, it is making life difficult.

JenniferEccles Sun 24-Sep-23 22:55:43

To me this just smacks of another Labour money -making scheme, like the ULEZ fiasco in London.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:58:01

JenniferEccles

To me this just smacks of another Labour money -making scheme, like the ULEZ fiasco in London.

Why Labour? We’re in the borders and I assume the 20 mph speed restrictions here are in SNP areas?

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:59:32

….and ULEZ was instigated by Boris Johnson but I assume you know that?

CanadianGran Sun 24-Sep-23 23:17:57

We haven't heard anything about this here, but it seems very slow. It would definitely take some getting used to. Our default is 50 km (around 30 mi) in towns, 30 km (20mi) in school and playground zones, then higher for highways.

Just changing all the signs will be expensive! I wonder if they will see an improvement in accident rates; I do hope they publicize the differences after a period of time.