Gransnet forums

News & politics

The National Trust is under attack

(163 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Oct-23 11:08:55

Farage and Mogg are attacking the NT and its aim of the protection/conservation of the land that it owns. The Trust lobby’s on the issue of nature and has been labelled as “woke” (do they know what it means) by the likes of Farage and Mogg.

This together with the Trusts various displays of historical displays about how slavery helped build so many of the houses that the Trust owns.

This group of ultra-conservative individuals are attempting to infiltrate the Trust in order to ensure it retreats back in time. What they don’t want is for the Trust to progress with time.

If you are a member and don’t like that people like Farage etc are trying to stop progress please ensure you cast your vote by the end of October.

Fleurpepper Sun 12-Nov-23 21:21:14

We became members a long time ago, when we were young parents.

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Nov-23 21:33:51

Well, many of us couldn't afford it. 🙂

Galaxy Sun 12-Nov-23 21:35:07

We became members when we were parents but eventually just couldnt justify that expense.

Fleurpepper Sun 12-Nov-23 21:59:20

Callistemon21

Well, many of us couldn't afford it. 🙂

I get this. History was very much part of my B.Ed.Hons Degree as a mature student (I went to Uni at 29)- so the expense was worth it.

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Nov-23 22:07:59

Well, in my experience, small children are interested in some parts of history but visiting NT properties was not high on the list to enthuse them.

eazybee Sun 12-Nov-23 22:19:49

Exactly the same thing happened in an education authority in the Midlands over thirty years ago, 'because everyone knows the Christian festivals.' It was not repeated.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 04:27:51

Still, Christmas is certainly not excluded from the NT.

There looks to be some glorious settings and ideas.

I live relatively near a lot of their properties and Nymans for example has a “Nutcracker” Christmas - with huge nutcrackers placed around their divine gardens. Another has an “Ant” Christmas with huge decorated insects and so on. They’ve let their imagination go wild - excellent!

growstuff Mon 13-Nov-23 07:18:47

NT members have had their say now and they don't seem to have been very impressed with the rebels. Presumably, they're happy with whatever the NT is doing.

growstuff Mon 13-Nov-23 07:25:05

Whitewavemark2

Still, Christmas is certainly not excluded from the NT.

There looks to be some glorious settings and ideas.

I live relatively near a lot of their properties and Nymans for example has a “Nutcracker” Christmas - with huge nutcrackers placed around their divine gardens. Another has an “Ant” Christmas with huge decorated insects and so on. They’ve let their imagination go wild - excellent!

Here are some NT Christmas ideas:

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/christmas/historic-houses-decked-out-for-christmas

vintage1950 Mon 13-Nov-23 09:16:02

I should also say that members of the Board circulated during the refreshment breaks (there was a free lunch - sandwich, piece of fruit, cake, all with a choice, delivered in a paper carrier bag). They sat and talked to the members, all of whom wore a green lanyard. I had a very friendly and, I hope, productive chat with one Board member.

Siope Mon 13-Nov-23 11:33:36

growstuff I am not entirely, I think I mentioned upthread that I disapprove, for example, of them (us, I suppose) restricting access to public land via parking fees and closures that aren’t necessary for conservation purposes. Obviously, that kind of egalitarianism isn’t something that’s likely to trouble the thinking of the Reform Trust!

growstuff Mon 13-Nov-23 12:09:26

I see what you mean Siope, but as you say I don't suppose the Reform Trust is interested in that.