Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tax Cuts

(92 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 04:57:03

So Hunt is looking to cut taxes at the Budget.

Putting aside whether or not tax funds public spending, we know that historically the Tories have used the excuse that tax revenue drives public spending.

So cutting taxes has meant cutting public spending.

What cuts would be welcome by the public I wonder?

dragonfly46 Tue 27-Feb-24 06:44:07

Personally if the money raised was used responsibly I would be willing to pay more tax.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 27-Feb-24 07:12:06

Hear Hear dragonfly!

rosie1959 Tue 27-Feb-24 07:15:56

I personally have no desire to pay anymore tax than necessary what with personal tax corporation tax and tax on about everything we buy.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 07:21:25

rosie1959

I personally have no desire to pay anymore tax than necessary what with personal tax corporation tax and tax on about everything we buy.

Does that mean that if tax is cut you are happy to see cuts in public services?

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 08:00:43

Don’t be daft- wrong end of the stick here. Hunt will say that he has x billion somehow saved through his careful accounting and that no cuts are needed. The economic recovery is on its way. Have no fear, blah blah. How else is he going to win over voters?
This tax cut was very obvious months ago.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:03:43

That isn’t what the IMF are saying. They are warning that Hunt has no fiscal room for tax cuts of any sort.

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 08:10:01

Well the IMF wants us to spend more on net zero. Who runs this country?

petra Tue 27-Feb-24 08:11:30

Whitewavemark2

That isn’t what the IMF are saying. They are warning that Hunt has no fiscal room for tax cuts of any sort.

The FT have a different view.

www.ft.com/content/60581224-3335-11e8-b5bf-23cb17fd1498

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 08:12:41

Yes I read that article petra and I don’t swallow it.

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 08:15:38

Sorry not that article- a different one.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:16:04

Oh! I quoted the IMF but should have said the IFS - sorry ronib no wonder I could “get” your replies!

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 08:17:46

Nice try

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:20:10

I ought at really to say that I don’t buy anything Hunt says frankly. I’m not that daft😄.

But the OP is what may be the “facts” put before the voting public, and it is interesting to see how people will react.

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 08:25:00

The IFS doesn’t want badly hammered working people to benefit from tax cuts but instead stamp duty on shares and property tax should be lessened.
I prefer that people who see most of their earned income stripped away be helped. We all know that share income is vastly undertaxed anyway. Who are these clowns?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:31:11

Quote from the Guardian.

“The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) calculates that Hunt would need to find £35bn of cuts from already threadbare public services if he plans to use a Whitehall spending freeze to pay for pre-election giveaways.

A fresh round of austerity in unprotected departments would boost the chancellor’s war chest for tax cuts, the independent tax and spending watchdog said, but an increase from an expected £15bn of headroom to about £50bn over the next five years would come at a high cost.

The IFS called for vague pledges to reduce spending to be replaced with concrete plans on where savings could be achieved, given the likely hardship and difficulty of achieving further reductions. Its report said: “The economic case for tax cuts is weak. The public finances remain in a poor position.””

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:35:28

He really should increase the personal allowance which would help all who are struggling.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:45:23

GrannyGravy13

He really should increase the personal allowance which would help all who are struggling.

People really are struggling aren’t they?

I sit here in a very comfortable position, able so far to absorb all the cost of living rises, but millions are finding life extraordinarily difficult at the moment , especially those with family still at home.

The U.K. is only ranked 17th out of 34 of the high earning countries when it comes to welfare services, and we know that housing costs are probably the highest in Europe.

I am looking for the next government to have costed, realistic and achievable policies to sort this out.

winterwhite Tue 27-Feb-24 08:46:40

There’s a separate threadbare running about inheritance tax. Doesn’t sound as though that would be a popular area for a future tax-grabbing chancellor 😂
Someone will be along in a minute to refute the link between taxation and funding public services but seems real enough to me.
Reforming council tax would be a good place to start.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 08:51:48

winterwhite yes maizie which I sort of agree with, but my point is that whatever the truth, the tax cuts are constantly used as an excuse to cut public services and I see no reason for it to be any different this time.

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 09:03:29

Surely the IFS doesn’t think Hunt will be in government this time next year? So Labour will reverse all the tax cuts in their first budget?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Feb-24 09:06:08

ronib

Surely the IFS doesn’t think Hunt will be in government this time next year? So Labour will reverse all the tax cuts in their first budget?

Which is why some people will not vote Labour at the GE

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 09:11:54

Indeed it is GG.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 09:12:59

What do you mean by ‘reforming council tax’ winterwhite?

ronib Tue 27-Feb-24 09:13:27

Good tactical play then by one party at least!