Gransnet forums

News & politics

Security for all MPs

(155 Posts)
fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 10:19:56

I have copied and pasted the following from another thread.

QuoteCossy Tue 14-Jul-26 10:12:06
fancythat

Farage is a man who so far
has survived being hit by a car, testicular cancer, a wheel coming off his car on a French motorway and a plane crash.

Now the very sad murder of Ann Widecombe has happened.

No one can hardly blame the man for being a bit alarmed for his safety, going forward.

I think all MPs should be very aware of their own safety.

Are you suggesting, that all those events you’ve mentioned are somehow deliberate politically motivated acts? Surely not?

Add comment | Report | Private message | Quotefancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 10:15:42
No.

Add comment | Report | Private message | Quotefancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 10:17:31
Do you think the more outspoken , and the MPs more in the public eye should have better security than the others?

This may well be better talked about on a new thread, so as to take it off the Ann Widdecombe one.

Graphite Wed 15-Jul-26 09:20:57

Reform need to clean up their act and their use of language.

Tice, and Yusuf, in particular, frequently refer to Conservative and Labour politicians as traitors.

Farage said Lord Hermer was betraying national interests. More recently he said the the public should respond with cold rage to the murder of Henry Nowak.

Yusuf wrote: I view Tory and Labour politicians as traitors to their country. A reckoning is coming.

and:

A mortal blow to the Tories. Nothing less that these traitors deserve.

He "liked" a far-right anti-semitic tweet which called Jenrick a traitor and criticised his Jewish wife and family.

Lee Anderson in a Westminster debate: Labour MPs are all traitors.

Human rights barrister Andy Wagner wrote:

Words have consequences – and riling people up on the basis that lawyers and politicians are ‘traitors’ can lead to worse things than critical posts from me.

On June 16, 2016, Nigel Farage unveiled is UkiP "Breaking Point" anti-migrant poster. It was widely condemned by MPs from other parties.

Hours later. Thomas Mair shot MP Jo Cox twice in the head and once in the chest with a modified .22 hunting rifle then stabbed her 15 times. He shouted "This is for Britain", "keep Britain independent", and "Britain first”.

As his trial he said he was death to traitors.

Do you see the connection, Sunshinegirls?

LemonJam Wed 15-Jul-26 09:20:11

The police have cybercrime units that work directly with Internet Service Providers and. email providers to analyse email metadata, server routing logs and IP addresses.

Thus. they are well positioned to track and identify the sender of such threats Zia Yousef claims. The police arrive at the person's home unannounced arrest under a suspected Malicious Communications charge- then bring in the individual for police interview etc.

Malicious Communications Act 1988 is the legislation and it is an offence to send a letter, electronic communication that contains a threat.

Pretty slam dunk once the evidence trail is secured.

LemonJam Wed 15-Jul-26 09:13:27

Casdon

That doesn’t actually mean much unless it’s compared to the number of threats received by other leaders and politicians though, Sunshinegirls, does it? We have no idea whether it is exceptional or not without comparators. There also isn’t an explanation regarding what happens when people make death threats, presumably they are passed on to the police for investigation - we do see people prosecuted quite often as a result of them making threats against politicians.

I’m not minimising the potential risk to Nigel Farage, I just don’t think it’s helpful for snapshots like this to be released with no context.

I agree.

As posted earlier Farage needs to report his actual online threats ( and any other threats) to the police for investigation and potentially prosecution.

Information from Zia Yousef is hearsay with all due respect. Actual reporting and handing over said online threats to the police will verify and quantify the level of online threats Farage receives. Then his numbers can be compared to other MPs who receive online threats.

On line threats cannot be dealt with by a man in a suit standing beside him and the police and/or state can only respond if they are informed and Farage avails himself of his star. funded security- which for some bizarre reason he has declined. His choice.

fancythat Wed 15-Jul-26 09:03:39

I wonder if there are people researching and writing thesis in about the Uk, on all this.
It would be an enlightening read.

Casdon Wed 15-Jul-26 08:04:59

That doesn’t actually mean much unless it’s compared to the number of threats received by other leaders and politicians though, Sunshinegirls, does it? We have no idea whether it is exceptional or not without comparators. There also isn’t an explanation regarding what happens when people make death threats, presumably they are passed on to the police for investigation - we do see people prosecuted quite often as a result of them making threats against politicians.

I’m not minimising the potential risk to Nigel Farage, I just don’t think it’s helpful for snapshots like this to be released with no context.

Maremia Wed 15-Jul-26 08:01:57

Fact check
Farage is entitled to and has been offered the official amount of protection given to British politicians.
Fact check
Farage himself DECLINED this protection.

Sunshinegirls Wed 15-Jul-26 07:56:11

Posted from Zia Yusuk Reform Party

Sunshinegirls Wed 15-Jul-26 07:54:29

As we learn Ann’s murder WAS politically motivated, The Times has revealed the scale of the threat to Nigel’s life.

Nigel has received 1,577 threats since February this year.

Including 597 death threats.

The most persistent individual targeting Farage sent 6 directed threats to him on Facebook between June 24 and July 6, including a message telling him to “get the f* out of Wales before I just kill Nigel Farage … you can die at any f***ing moment.”

Another individual posted on X last month saying: “Execute the striking Traitor Nigel Farage. TODAY,” followed by two further escalating posts within eight hours.

A third individual wrote on X: “Can someone shoot Nigel Farage? Make him a self-fulfilling prophecy?”

All the ‘journalists’ and MPs who attack him for accepting a gift to fund his security should hang their heads in shame.

The government still provides him with no security.

They did for a short while after the general election. Then - astonishingly - they cut it by 75% within weeks of the assassination of Charlie Kirk and sent David Lammy out to say Nigel “flirted with the Hitler Youth”.

Reform stepped in to provide him with a detail of the original size, appropriate to the enormous threat.

The establishment doesn’t want Nigel to have the required security for a reason.

They incite violence against him for a reason.

It’s exactly what it looks like. FROM X REFORM

Casdon Wed 15-Jul-26 07:48:07

MayBee70

Casdon

I take it as a compliment actually, to be called a woke leftie, but I just don’t think that, or other names we bandy about on here towards politicians or each other make any difference to anybody else.

I fear the murder of Ann Widdecombe is something much more sinister than some saddo in his bedroom targeting her, and I really hope that fear is unfounded.

Suppose you can't really call someone a slightly left of centre wokie which applies to people like me..

Me too, but it doesn’t bother me at all to be called a woke leftie, I just think it shows how far from reality the name caller is.

Calendargirl Wed 15-Jul-26 07:28:49

Honestly, do people not read all posts on a thread

No, they don’t, I’m afraid.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Jul-26 00:09:17

Casdon

I take it as a compliment actually, to be called a woke leftie, but I just don’t think that, or other names we bandy about on here towards politicians or each other make any difference to anybody else.

I fear the murder of Ann Widdecombe is something much more sinister than some saddo in his bedroom targeting her, and I really hope that fear is unfounded.

Suppose you can't really call someone a slightly left of centre wokie which applies to people like me..

Graphite Tue 14-Jul-26 23:28:08

I rather liked this tweet from Edwina Currie:

The slight problem with close protection, of course, is that the police then keep a log of everywhere you go, and everyone you meet .. Bit restricting, isn’t it? Unless you’ve nothing to hide..

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 20:01:01

“MaizieD

Luckygirl3
woke lefties .... what a silly phrase.
It was meant in part as a joking reference to the labels that anyone slightly leftish gets. But I seriously don’t recall people of that persuasion calling for violence against Farage or his followers.

Perhaps I’m not looking in the right place…”

I’m pretty sure us woke lefties or us righties, at least on here, would never ask for, encourage or otherwise instigate violence, particularly the vile murder of a defenceless 78 year old woman.

Extremists on both sides of our political spectrum, mentally very unwell people or just plain evil people, commit these atrocities. I know of no one fitting these description on here.

Though at times we may “spat”, frustrate, irritate and disagree with each other, those on here are thoroughly decent people, in my opinion, of course grin

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 19:52:37

GrannyGravy13

Maybe, just maybe both sides of the political divide should stop with these silly names and insults 🤷‍♀️…

Yes need and perhaps the entire government and country can please do the same!

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 14-Jul-26 19:50:35

My understanding was that the police, who have interviewed the suspect, say that this awful event was not related to Ms Widdecombe's previous career.
Have I misunderstood?
If that is so, then the risk factors/ security concerns here might relate to women in their seventies who live alone.

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 19:49:58

I take it as a compliment actually, to be called a woke leftie, but I just don’t think that, or other names we bandy about on here towards politicians or each other make any difference to anybody else.

I fear the murder of Ann Widdecombe is something much more sinister than some saddo in his bedroom targeting her, and I really hope that fear is unfounded.

LemonJam Tue 14-Jul-26 19:05:12

I agree "woke lefties" is a silly phrase assigned to people of left leaning opinions- I don't get the value or meaning in describing people who are not right wing as "woke lefties"- but thats just me.

What other silly names and insults have been made that I may have missed?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Jul-26 18:50:07

Maybe, just maybe both sides of the political divide should stop with these silly names and insults 🤷‍♀️…

fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 18:47:50

I dont know what the answer is to it all.

LemonJam Tue 14-Jul-26 18:44:00

MayBee70

LemonJam

I agree with Cossy, and state funded security should only be available for state funded MP role

What proportion of his time does Farage spend on public service MP role for Clacton and what proportion on all his other activities here in the UK and abroad?

Does he worry about security when he's in America supporting pro gun Trump?

Perhaps- maybe? I simply don't know what he worries about when he goes to the US.

It would be ludicrous to expect the UK to fund his US/ state side security or for the time he spends at GB news, making Cameo videos, marketing for Gold bullions and Cryptocurrencies etc in my view.

Grantanow Tue 14-Jul-26 18:38:46

And all retired MPs, all who lost their seats, all members of the Lords???

MaizieD Tue 14-Jul-26 18:27:54

Luckygirl3

*woke lefties* .... what a silly phrase.

It was meant in part as a joking reference to the labels that anyone slightly leftish gets. But I seriously don’t recall people of that persuasion calling for violence against Farage or his followers.

Perhaps I’m not looking in the right place…

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 17:56:15

Casdon

I think we can safely say that Russian communism is not comprised of UK described ‘woke lefties’. I think we should stay away from discussing Russian politics and potential involvement in this altogether, it’s a whole different world.

Blimey! I always thought it was 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 17:53:59

Honestly, do people not read all posts on a thread.

I’m not sure how times it has to be repeated, Farage was offered fully funded security at the same level as all other party leaders.

Farage decided this wasn’t good enough and declined it.

In order to get more publicly funded security than he was offered, there would have to be documented evidence that he was at far greater risk than any other party leader.

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 17:52:11

I think we can safely say that Russian communism is not comprised of UK described ‘woke lefties’. I think we should stay away from discussing Russian politics and potential involvement in this altogether, it’s a whole different world.