Gransnet forums

News & politics

The UK’s “one in, one out” migrant deal with France is on the brink of collapse, with a senior French immigration official claiming: “It’s over.”

(37 Posts)
Sarnia Wed 30-Sept-26 09:32:03

I live near Gatwick Airport which has an immigration detention centre for migrants being deported. Recently there have been lots of reports of unrest because the detainees claim they are given little to no information on what is going to happen to them.
Rwanda seemed the most feasible option to me but was shelved by Sir Keir Starmer for this 1 in, 1 out shambles.

Fallingstar Wed 30-Sept-26 09:28:28

My guess is that if this deal is about to end it is because it hasn’t worked rather than the French government simply pulling the plug for no good reason. So back to the drawing board, which I am sure both Burnham and Macron are eager to do.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:28:14

Rwanda was working.
Starmer lied
Now this 😡

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:23:00

The Guardian and The Times are both reporting that the French want to end this agreement.

(I have only had time to read the headlines)

Cossy Wed 30-Sept-26 09:22:19

Fallingstar

Yes links please.
The fact is Burnham promising closer ties with the EU in the aftermath of a disasterous Brexit will yield better results when it comes to controlling illegal migration than anything else.

👏👏👏👏👏

Cossy Wed 30-Sept-26 09:22:01

eazybee

It never worked anyway. The French took the money and paid little or no attention.

I think you’ll find that was back in Bumbling Boris’ time!

Fallingstar Wed 30-Sept-26 09:21:59

Yes links please.
The fact is Burnham promising closer ties with the EU in the aftermath of a disasterous Brexit will yield better results when it comes to controlling illegal migration than anything else.

Cossy Wed 30-Sept-26 09:21:27

nanna8

I thought it was 100 in, one out.

Oh hahaha!

eazybee Wed 30-Sept-26 09:20:30

It never worked anyway. The French took the money and paid little or no attention.

nanna8 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:18:52

I thought it was 100 in, one out.

Cossy Wed 30-Sept-26 09:18:45

Can you shows us a link or your source?

I’d like to read whole story please.

Not a good thing, if indeed true.

I’ll hold off my comments til I’ve read the whole thing. thanks

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:15:43

Well what’s surprise. Not.
And after all that trumpeting from Starmer at the time.