Gransnet forums

News & politics

UAE threatening Burnham over Man City

(31 Posts)
Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 09:38:05

apple.news/AKDds4_4nTaavQjgecGf-yg

I don’t pretend to understand the machinations of premiership football but I do know that the owner of Man City is the brother of the UAE President.
So now that it has been discovered that this top drawer football team has been breaking rules/the law, the team faces punitive measures, as does any premiership team caught doing something they shouldn’t.
But now the UAE has been threatening Burnham with a withdrawal of funds aimed at developing a hi tech hub between Cambridge and Oxford called the UKs version of Silicone Valley.
If the UAE succeed in manipulating Burnham what does that mean for the PM and for premiership football??
Tbh the whole Man City debacle leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with regard to how the Premiership is run. This is not so much the beautiful game as a game sullied by big businesses, uber rich owners, and dirty tricks.

Sarnia Sat 03-Oct-26 16:12:47

fancythat

The UAE has threatened to pull billions of pounds of investment out of the UK unless Manchester City are cleared of financial misconduct allegations, a report has claimed.

Well, the UAE are saying loud and clear that financial misconduct means nothing to that Country.

The UAE can stick their money.
Instead of blackmail they should look closer to home and make a start at putting their own house in order starting with their woeful human rights record.
Leave our national game alone!!!

LizzieDrip Sat 03-Oct-26 16:13:20

No implied subliminal message Casdon.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:17:58

Visgir1

He has no option, Burnham can not bend to the "Blackmail" of the UAE, even though he let money in from the UAE to invest in his beloved Manchester.
He has a lot more to loose than a Football club. Going to be interesting when HMRC puts their oar in, ohh dear what an almighty mess.

I agree.
AB needs to be firm with the UAE on this, we aren’t some third world country with little choice.

Casdon Sat 03-Oct-26 16:40:07

Sarnia

Casdon

I can’t see Burnham conceding goals in this case, he won’t allow bribery in football to go unpunished.

Burnham made a crass statement during the week saying that he would not want the owners to sell the club. Granted, they have done much for the regeneration of Manchester, a cause very close to our PM's heart but it sounded as if he hoped the FA would go easy on them.
They have been found guilty by an independent inquiry on 115 charges concerning FFP (Financial Fair Play) which all teams must adhere to, sham contracts and 35 instances of where City refused to cooperate or answers questions.
They have appealed which must be concluded within 60 days and then strict sanctions must be imposed on Manchester City. Other clubs have had huge fines, deduction of points and enforced relegation.
The FA must make their final decision on the facts they have in front of them and ignore remarks from other sources. For the future of the game they have to come out of all this with transparency, integrity and fairness to all the other clubs who have to stick to the rules.
This isn't over yet.

I’m not sure why you related what had happened so far (except what Burnham had said yesterday) Sarnia, did you think I wasn’t up to speed with what had happened so far?

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 20:11:17

A few months ago I asked on this forum where AB got the money from for Manchester.
I have tried looking for the thread but cant find it.
I think peeople said on it, growth or something?
Recollections may vary, so I may have got that wrong!
But I dont remember anyone saying UAE?