Gransnet forums

News & politics

To sell antique ivory or ban it? Or, how to blacken a party by inuuendo.

(41 Posts)
Elegran Mon 22-May-17 10:23:34

To curb the killing of elephants for their tusks, ivory obtained from elephants after 1947 cannot be bought or sold. The ivory can be accurately dated, so convictions can and have been made when this law is contravened.

But old ivory from before that can still be traded. There is a vast amount of old ivory around, some of it beautifully carved. If it cannot be sold, what can be done with it? Binned? Burned? Exhibited in museums or stored away?

Do we ban the sale of antique furniture made from mahogany? Or old books made from heaven knows what?

In his 2015 manifesto, David Cameron said that he woukld press for a complete ban on the sale of ALL ivory.

Fast forward to 2017. The Tory manifesto makes no mention of the pledge, having instead a general vow to protect endangered species and the marine environment (which surely includes elephants and probably the old ivory too?). The labour party includes the ban.

So some campaigning media run headlines like "Conservatives quietly bin pledge to ban ivory trade in 2017 manifesto" giving the impression that they would be in favour of the sale of ALL ivory and backtrack on protecting elephants. Condemnation by innuendo!

Penstemmon Mon 22-May-17 10:49:22

I think that if ivory becomes 'popular' with the lifting of the trading ban on 'old' ivory that it could lead to an increase in new ivory trade.
I have two small ivory brooches which I keep in my jewellery box and never wear. They were given to my mother when we lived in E Africa. She never wore them either as they are carved into elephants, which is rather sick in my opinion, but were very popular.

Elegran Mon 22-May-17 11:06:50

I don't think the ban on trading OLD ivory ever went through in the previous years. It may do yet, but it wasn't specifically mentioned as an election promise.

I was struck by the smooth transition of some newspapers from the general manifesto aim of "protect endangered species" to "They plan to allow the sale of ivory" which to many readers will mean that NEW elephant ivory will now be on sale.

Media emphasis is on the most sensational interpretation, and a lot of people only read headlines.

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 11:09:22

elegran it was ever thussad

Elegran Mon 22-May-17 11:15:56

Indeed. You only have to read the thread on Motability cars to see a few people who have read the OP ranting about the taxpayers' money wasted "giving away" expensive cars, and rushed to agree with it before reading all the following posts explaining how the system works and how much they needed it (and how much it actually costs the taxpayer)

vampirequeen Mon 22-May-17 11:51:34

MSM has changed. It's no longer about informing the public about what is happening and far more about grabbing the reader with often misleading headlines.

Sadly the days of reporting an issue or event with a separate analysis are over. Newspaper's were always biased to some extent depending on the owner's point of view but now the TV news is just as bad.

It is impossible to get impartial news reports from the UK media.

paddyann Mon 22-May-17 17:25:16

be honest the tories dont need anyone else blackening the party,they're doing a very good job of it themselves.Boris this weekend still insisting the £350 MILLION a week thet was on their battlebus last year is true....what planet is he on! Targetting the old the sick and the disabled ,cutting benefits while the top earners get off without any tax rises .WHY do ordinary jo's vote tory? Is it because they aspire to be wealthy and think this is the way to do it..or are they just thick.

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 17:31:16

Thick

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:33:41

Pathetic comment ww

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:36:52

Yes Elegran it was worth you pointing this out. If it had been said against Labour then this thread would be full of (rightful) indignation, but as it is.........

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 17:44:03

Whatewave was only responding to paddyann.
Why does that make her comment pathetic? Or did you not read the whole of paddyann's post?

Paddyann, not only was he insisting it was true, but that it was in the manifesto! Hostage to fortune there.

Ana Mon 22-May-17 17:47:41

WHY do ordinary jo's vote tory? Is it because they aspire to be wealthy and think this is the way to do it..or are they just thick.

That's the post whitewave replied to wih her Thick.

No doubt you agree durj but it's bloody rude.

mcem Mon 22-May-17 17:52:15

Or selfish?
Is that rude too? There's some excuse if they're thick and just don't understand the implications of voting Tory!

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:52:24

It's on a par with all the 'thick' comments for Leave voters.All from supposedly intelligent people of mature years.hmm

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 17:53:31

Supposedly intelligent people of mature years vote Tory. No accounting for taste.

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:55:32

Do you all understand the implications of voting for Corbyn nad McDonnell I wonder? Yet I wouldn't dream of assuming you are all selfish or thick.

rosesarered Mon 22-May-17 17:56:26

Is this what it's come to on GN? Truly pathetic.

BlueBelle Mon 22-May-17 17:56:53

I was given some small beautiful ivory carvings by a friend many years ago I have no idea whether they were carved before the ban or after so they sit on a shelf gathering dust I don't particularly want to own them because of their connections with the dreadful ivory trade but they are too pretty and clever to be thrown away

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 18:10:31

I have a couple of bits of ivory, glovestretchers and a page turner.
Nobody in my family wants them. I wouldn't give them to a charity shop as I wouldn't want anyone to profit from them.
I suppose I could find out if Beamish want them.

Ana Mon 22-May-17 18:13:34

roses, perhaps we might be better doing so - it's the only way to explain it...

Ginny42 Mon 22-May-17 19:45:38

Charity shops won't take ivory.

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 19:56:31

Pleased about that, Ginny.

Penstemmon Tue 23-May-17 11:47:25

roses you are obviously a strong Tory supporter as I am a strong Labour supporter. We are not likely to change one another's core values which drive our political affiliations.

However,like you I do find the petty 'point scoring' and personal insults annoying as they detract from the important issues.

The issue of ivory sales is an environmental issue and a financial one. There will be some folk who have a vested interest in not having a ban on selling ivory i.e. realising capital on their stock of ivory, trading in ivory etc.
My concern, as implied in my earlier post , is that if ivory becomes a new 'must have' in some circles it could lead to illegal 'new' ivory and an increase in poaching of an already depleting numbers of elephants. It is a shame that the original pledge is not being endorsed by all parties as it should not be a 'political' issue.

janeainsworth Tue 23-May-17 11:55:54

Just for the sake of accuracy, paddyann, the £350million slogan was on the battle bus of the Leave campaign, aka UKIP.
Not the Conservatives, who campaigned to Remain.

Penstemmon Tue 23-May-17 12:07:01

As a young and naive 23 year old teacher on a "sink" estate in Battersea, Sth London I was surprised to see so many local families voting Tory. When I asked one mum why she said " Always vote where the money is" confused When I pointed out that whilst the Tories politicians may have money they were not very keen to share it with the likes of me or her, she just shrugged.