Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour Party Conference

(357 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 10:43:32

According to Labour List the three big issues set to dominate the conference this year.

1. Rule Changes. 2. Anti semitism. Brexit.

1. Comes under the democracy review proposals (plus open parlimentary selections ) another round which will be discussed and voted on by the NEC on Saturday.

2. Will likely crop up at fringe events !!!!

3. Mainly revolves around the idea of a second referendum
- termed ‘ a people’s vote’ by its advocates - and could change Labour .policy dramatically.

lemongrove Fri 21-Sep-18 13:51:14

Brexit should really be the first thing on their agenda, however Corbyn and friends seem peculiarly uninterested in it.

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 15:46:05

Sitting on the fence , they want a G.E. Difficult to imagine Corbyn dealing with the EU. Expect McDonald would step in for him

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 09:09:26

Labour will support vote on Brexit if members vote for it.

Tom Watson spoke out in The Guardian yesterday .

Corbyn gave a speech at the Womens conference yesterday, very long queue to hear McDonald at the Momentum Conference at the same time.

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 09:18:27

Change of mind on second vote. They will reflect on members vote for a second vote! But want a G.E.

Seems like ‘bugger Brexit, give me keys of No.10’

oldgoat Sun 23-Sep-18 09:19:42

Just like Boris Johnson then!

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 09:21:16

Yes, just like Johnson,

Jane10 Sun 23-Sep-18 09:38:06

Poisoned chalice! Who'd want them.

Diana54 Sun 23-Sep-18 10:48:01

Seems like ‘bugger Brexit, give me keys of No.10’

Well put Anniebach, but that is not what the Tories want, at present they call the tune. Regardless of Brexit the Tories want to stay in power they will do anything to ensure that.

TM is secure at present, when the final proposal comes to parliament it will be presented as " the best the EU will agree to", parliament will then make a decision, maybe after a second referendum and the Tories will abide by that decision, and stay in power.

That's Corbyns problem he has to win a vote of no confidence, only by persuading the Unionists to change sides is he likely to do that. Strange bed fellows, yes, but NI vested interests count first.

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 10:55:49

But will there a second referendum? Tories say no, Corbyn says no

Diana54 Sun 23-Sep-18 11:02:22

It's not up to them a majority in parliament will rule, there are certainly enough dissenters in all parties to ensure that

paddyann Sun 23-Sep-18 11:02:54

Wasting their time having a conference ,they'll go back to Westminster and back everything the Tories do!!Even if they abstain to do it.Why bother turning up at all,of course they want paid .None of these parasites has the country at heart just their selfish selfs.

Jane10 Sun 23-Sep-18 11:09:15

Most unfair comment paddyann! Many MPs are hard working and committed to their job. Just because you don't like Westminster is no reason to rubbish these people. It's a hellish job these days.

Diana54 Sun 23-Sep-18 11:20:21

Wouldn't expect anything else from a true Scot they don't like the sasenachs much, but in reality they hate each other even more than they hate the English.

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 11:22:15

Unfair? Not true , there are MP’s who care deeply , I know some and to say their concerns are their pay is definitely an untruth

Grandad1943 Sun 23-Sep-18 11:39:30

The only persons to get paid to attend party the Labour party conference are those directly employed by the Labour party or MPs being that all duties are part of their salary.

All others attending have their expenses only paid by their trade union branch, constituency or local Labour party branch.

Throughout the Labour movement major conferences are lay member led events and that is why the delegates at this conference will decide the party policy on having whether to have second referendum or not

And that is the way it should be.

nigglynellie Sun 23-Sep-18 11:53:00

Honestly paddyann your comments get more and more bizarre! If your irrational language is truly a sample of Scottish thinking, then the sooner you fall into the arms of the EU (good luck long term with that!) the better for all of us. I am though slightly puzzled, as my definition of the word independent means exactly that, no outside interference or influence, not being under any rules and regulations from an outside organization? Can't quite see how taking instructions from Brussels fits the image of 'independence'!

OldMeg Sun 23-Sep-18 11:54:43

Very rude and completely inaccurate Diane54

Grandad1943 Sun 23-Sep-18 12:19:05

Diana54 Quote[snip>>>>TM is secure at present<<<snip]

Diana54, as Harold Wilson famously stated: "a week can be a long time in politics". After all the so-called rallying around TM after the Saltzberg debacle, we already see the knives coming out again in the Tory party this morning.

Subtle and diplomatic at the moment but the factions are once again setting out their stalls for the party conference in a weeks time.

GillT57 Sun 23-Sep-18 12:25:49

GASP Lemongrove I agree with you!! grin. Brexit should be the most important item on all the parties' conference agenda, there is nothing more important or pressing.

Diana54 Sun 23-Sep-18 12:37:38

Grandad. Rabb was just on TV and revealed they there were no new proposals at present to solve the NI issue. That aside I don't see any point in replacing TM unless the policy is completely different. I don't really see that happening in the conference but as you say a week is a long time, TM is taking the hard line for now, are they going to vote for a softer line?.

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 12:40:38

Incorrect re payments to attend conferences, I paid my own exspenses .

Brexit should be top of the agenda this week not at the bottom.

As for knives out in the Tory party, a labour MP is having police protection due to death threats.

Anniebach Sun 23-Sep-18 12:41:59

With respect could we discuss the Labour conference please, the Tory conference is next week , thanks

varian Sun 23-Sep-18 20:37:54

I saw a tv interview with Tom Watson speaking from the Labour Party conference and I didn't 'recognise him- he has lost seven stones!

lemongrove Sun 23-Sep-18 21:04:59

Gill grin

Yes, Watson has lost so much weight, I wonder if it was intended, or he isn’t well?