Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do the polls influence how you vote?

(111 Posts)
Starblaze Sat 07-Dec-19 21:11:24

I've seen a few people say they will vote Conservative because they are ahead in the polls.

Do you base your vote on being on the "winning" team?

Do you vote by policy?

Do you stick to a political party like this is football and support your team no matter how badly they play?

Do you think you shouldn't bother voting because the polls say your party won't win? (you should anyway)

Do the polls impact you?

jura2 Sat 07-Dec-19 21:12:51

No, not at all. But this time I voted tactically - anything but to get Boris at the helm ad hard Brexit and all that goes with it.

M0nica Sat 07-Dec-19 21:22:36

I have a broad party allegiance and membership, but I have rested uneasily within it for several decades.

Each election I look at the policies of the other parties and think long and hard. I have twice come close to voting for another party, once Labour and once Conservative, but at the last moment something has stuck in my craw and I have backed off and voted for the same old same old. I am comfortable with the underlying philosophy of being neither committed to the state running everything nor believing that the market economy is inherently virtuous and efficient.

I do not take any notice of, nor read the polls and only have the vaguest of idea about what they are predicting at any point. Frankly I am beyond caring.

growstuff Sat 07-Dec-19 21:26:08

No

Doodle Sat 07-Dec-19 21:27:27

Not in the least. I got for the party I think will do the best for the country.

SirChenjin Sat 07-Dec-19 21:28:02

No - I’ve always made my mind up well before the voting day.

growstuff Sat 07-Dec-19 21:37:08

How I've voted has never made any difference to anything. I've always voted for the "losing side". So much for democracy! Ha ha ha!

I vote for the party which best matches my own values.

FlexibleFriend Sat 07-Dec-19 21:41:57

No, I made my mind up who to vote for before they started electioneering.

Starblaze Sat 07-Dec-19 21:42:47

It does Growstuff. Huge amounts of people think their one vote doesn't matter but political parties do look at who is voting, where, age etc and that can change policy

Calendargirl Sat 07-Dec-19 22:01:08

No, the polls don’t impact me. I vote for who I want to win,

Anniebach Sat 07-Dec-19 22:03:18

No

Oopsminty Sat 07-Dec-19 22:07:04

Nope

Opal Sat 07-Dec-19 22:33:29

No, not at all

AllotmentLil Sat 07-Dec-19 22:38:16

No and I think I’ll be on the “losing” side whichever way I vote this time. sad In Scotland, but against independence and against leaving the EU, I feel that I’m between a rock and a hard place ...

Grannybags Sat 07-Dec-19 23:19:26

No I don't take much notice of the polls.

I have a postal vote and have already posted mine

Chestnut Sat 07-Dec-19 23:27:56

I hate polls with a vengeance. I think they should be banned in the month before a GE. I take no notice of them myself, but if they change the way some people vote then that is always going to be a bad thing. People should enter the polling booth with no idea whatsoever who is likely to win. Then the result is more likely to be what people genuinely want.

Starblaze Sat 07-Dec-19 23:30:29

Agreed Chestnut

GagaJo Sat 07-Dec-19 23:38:15

Nope. Only policies.

varian Sat 07-Dec-19 23:49:33

Not at all. I will vote for the LibDems because I believe in what they stand for and because that ids the best way of deafeating our utterly useless ERG Tory,.

oldgimmer1 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:36:07

Nope.

But my stance rarely changes. I always vote for the same party, in the end.

For those who are easily swayed, on the fence or otherwise "floating", I don't think polls are a good idea.

I think they undermine democratic process.

I'd be interested to know how polls have influenced how people then go on to vote (or not vote).

NfkDumpling Sun 08-Dec-19 08:43:38

Nope. I listen to their policies at the start of the campaign but that’s it really. Polls certainly have no influence, and neither do head to heads or dishing the dirt on leaders private lives - provided they haven’t killed anyone or assaulted children.

LullyDully Sun 08-Dec-19 08:47:35

No because they are not water tight.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:47:48

No, but those who produce the polls think it does, so I guess there is some truth in it.

The herd mentality plays a part.

The worry is that the polls appear lately to be being either manipulated or weighted incorrectly.

We shall find out on Friday.

Poppyred Sun 08-Dec-19 08:49:31

No

travelsafar Sun 08-Dec-19 08:49:33

Friday the 13th is defo going to be an unlucky day for some and a lucky day for others!!! smile