Gransnet forums

News & politics

Its not Boris's fault!

(175 Posts)
Alegrias1 Sun 23-Jan-22 11:35:23

I knew that title would draw you in!

Rory Stewart on why its not only Johnson we should be blaming. A leopard doesn't change its spots.

Boris Johnson is a terrible prime minister and a worse human being. But he is not a monster newly sprung from a rent between this world and the next. Twenty years have passed since the Conservative party first selected him as a candidate. Michael Howard and David Cameron made him a shadow minister, and Theresa May gave him the Foreign Office. Thirty years of celebrity made him famous for his mendacity, indifference to detail, poor administration, and inveterate betrayal of every personal commitment. Yet, knowing this, the majority of Conservative MPs, and party members, still voted for him to be prime minister. He is not, therefore, an aberration, but a product of a system that will continue to produce terrible politicians long after he is gone.

Rosalyn69 Sun 23-Jan-22 11:37:05

I think it’s “rend” but I agree.

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Jan-22 11:51:02

Agree. I think it should be "rend" too.

Boris was voted in because he was enthusiastic and happy and positive. A breath of fresh air in all the gloom and doom and nay-sayers. I don't believe it was anything much to do with his politics.

He has brought to the fore how terrible our government system is and how much the media and civil service actually run the country. Only big headed, self-opinionated idiots with rhinoceros hides would ever consider going into national politics. Not the best people to run a country. Or are they?

Alegrias1 Sun 23-Jan-22 11:54:11

It's rent.

Anyway, Boris...?

Beckett Sun 23-Jan-22 11:56:02

Oh good - I was wondering what had happened to the daily anti-Boris, anti-Tory post hmm

GagaJo Sun 23-Jan-22 11:56:47

I couldn't agree more. He is a duffer and the rest may have a little more slickness (not Gove, that video of him drunk as a skunk in the HOP was a disgrace) but they're much of a muchness. All multi-millionaires who don't give a sh** for anyone outside their overprivileged sphere.

Not fit for purpose.

Baggs Sun 23-Jan-22 11:57:26

I listened to Rory Stewart yesterday and am glad I did because when he was an MP he gave me the creeps. If I remember correctly it was because of facial contortions while he was speaking. Those did not occur yesterday and what he said clearly and succinctly made perfect sense.

Baggs Sun 23-Jan-22 11:58:14

Beckett

Oh good - I was wondering what had happened to the daily anti-Boris, anti-Tory post hmm

That gave me a good giggle, Beckett ??

GagaJo Sun 23-Jan-22 12:01:23

Baggs

Beckett

That gave me a good giggle, Beckett ??

You could always counter with a pro-Boris/Tory post. Not sure it'd have a lot of credibility, but if it's something you believe in...

MaizieD Sun 23-Jan-22 12:05:55

It's a rent in the fabric between the two worlds... a hole to escape through.

Can't disagree with Stewart''s judgement, but dammit, he's been a solid government supporting tory all the time this evil was being nurtured.

Of course the civil service run the country in one sense ; they're the ones who keep the wheels turning. If we had no government at all the country would still run. Belgium ran for two years without a government a few years ago.

But civil servants can only do what the government of the day tells them to do. They can advise on courses of action, they can point out flaws, possible unintended consequences etc, but ultimately it is their job to implement government policies/legislation. They are non political in their professional lives.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Jan-22 12:07:15

I was not a fan of Mr, Stewart but I read this extract from the FT yesterday and I do agree with it.

In my opinion there is still a core of support out there for Mr.Jonson because he is flawed and gaff prone it makes him more like one of them I guess they would also say that he doesn’t lie but is just economically with the truth as well.

I am beginning to feel that Mr. Johnson will hang on to the PM job as I cannot see anyone from the Conservatives (front or back bench) willing to take on the top job at this time.

Baggs Sun 23-Jan-22 12:25:39

I am beginning to feel that Mr. Johnson will hang on to the PM job as I cannot see anyone from the Conservatives (front or back bench) willing to take on the top job at this time.

I think a lot of people feel this. We do not have many politicians who strike one as being prime minister material. And I'm not just talking about Tories. Better the devil you know?

Calendargirl Sun 23-Jan-22 12:27:51

Boris was voted in as leader because he said he would “Get Brexit Done!”.

poshpaws Sun 23-Jan-22 12:31:29

Johnson's got Narcissistic Personality Disorder (if you don't know the symptoms, Google it and you'll see he ticks every single box) but I believe he's also actually evil - like Rees-Mogg and Patel and it "boggles my mind" that apparently 34% of the electorate STILL think "he's doing his best" and "he got us through Covid". The Conservative Party in my opinion is itself an evil entity, so it doesn't surprise me that they made him PM. I saw the Rory Stewart video and was quite amazed and impressed.

MaizieD Sun 23-Jan-22 12:42:40

Baggs

^I am beginning to feel that Mr. Johnson will hang on to the PM job as I cannot see anyone from the Conservatives (front or back bench) willing to take on the top job at this time.^

I think a lot of people feel this. We do not have many politicians who strike one as being prime minister material. And I'm not just talking about Tories. Better the devil you know?

It's not really a 'better the devil you know', it's the fact that the rightwinger's programme to deregulate, to suppress dissent and to supress voters will continue whoever is PM. They are the group who comprise the government's majority.

Remember, 100 MPs voting against continuation of covid restrictions? Pouf! Majority erased, just like that. They'll do it to any 'leader' who doesn't bend to their will.

There is also the prospect that more years of Johnson misrule will turn people to more reasonable parties that have the welfare of the whole country at heart, not see it as a place for them and their friends to plunder. If we get another GE (something I'm sure the tories will do their best to evade) it might well destroy the tories altogether.

westendgirl Sun 23-Jan-22 12:46:34

Rent means tear,split on this occasion.
I do agree with every word Roy Stewart says in this piece and like many others in this country fail to see why they still make excuses for Johnson, probably the worst PM ever
Goodness knows how long it will take the country to recover from his mismanagement..

Lincslass Sun 23-Jan-22 12:49:41

poshpaws

Johnson's got Narcissistic Personality Disorder (if you don't know the symptoms, Google it and you'll see he ticks every single box) but I believe he's also actually evil - like Rees-Mogg and Patel and it "boggles my mind" that apparently 34% of the electorate STILL think "he's doing his best" and "he got us through Covid". The Conservative Party in my opinion is itself an evil entity, so it doesn't surprise me that they made him PM. I saw the Rory Stewart video and was quite amazed and impressed.

Ridiculous comment. Honestly people are really getting outrageous in their anti Tory rants. Pol Pot, Hitler , Stalin, Mussolini were all murdering tyrants. When our Gov sends in the army to murder it’s own citizens, then you can call Johnson a tyrant.

Blossoming Sun 23-Jan-22 12:53:28

I blame his parents. If only they’d used contraception.

Baggs Sun 23-Jan-22 12:54:54

it's the fact that the rightwinger's programme to deregulate, to suppress dissent and to supress voters will continue whoever is PM

Deregulation from Tories should not be a surprise even without their being all-out libertarians.

Could you give examples of suppression of dissent and of voters, please, maiz?

HolySox Sun 23-Jan-22 12:55:44

Following this reasonong it is actually our fault, well that of the Brithsh electorate as they voted him / the Tories in. Shame there wasn't anything better on offer at the time ... nor since.

vegansrock Sun 23-Jan-22 12:55:45

He’s not a tyrant he’s just useless.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 23-Jan-22 12:56:09

This is getting so boring now. Honestly, we get it. You don’t like Boris.
Watch the film ‘ Don’t look up’. Says it all I think.

HolySox Sun 23-Jan-22 12:57:35

Brithsh sorry meant British. My keyboards got a lisp this morning. No Spellchecker.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Jan-22 13:05:13

Rosalyn69

I think it’s “rend” but I agree.

According to Chambers Dictionary chambers.co.uk/search/?query=rent&title=21st
the noun is definitely rent, said she fussily.

However, the sentiments expressed about Boris Johnson are sadly accurate.

Alegrias1 Sun 23-Jan-22 13:07:23

Following this reasonong it is actually our fault, well that of the Brithsh electorate as they voted him / the Tories in.

You might think so. I couldn't possibly comment.

I was going to include your spelling correction, but thought this one worked better.

Following this reasonong it is actually our fault, well that of the Brithsh English electorate as they voted him / the Tories in.