Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, are we all enemies of the state now?

(181 Posts)
DaisyAnne Wed 05-Oct-22 19:08:40

Labour
Lib Dems
the SNP
the militant unions
the vested interests dressed up as think-tanks
the talking heads
the Brexit deniers
Extinction Rebellion
and some of the people we had in the hall earlier
People on Twitter
People with North London townhouses
People who broadcast
People who podcast

These people are all anti-growth, according to Ms Truss. It's a standard extremist cry of "everyone's out of step but me."

So, no, Liz Truss. I am pro-growth, but not your sort of growth. Not growth for the very rich and your pals in the city while the poorest struggle to get by. I think there will be others who feel they see "growth" differently to that of a PM with no mandate to put hers through, too.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 19:24:18

My kind of growth doesn’t trash the sea, rivers, countryside, animal welfare and biodiversity.

My kind of growth has room for the care of the poor and sick. Those seeking sanctuary and freedom from oppression.

My kind of growth recognises the Christian virtues of empathy for desperate people without dreaming of sending them to a violent poor African country which will be as foreign to those desperate people as it is to me.

No I am not in with Truss’s crowd, thank goodness. I have not yet lost my humanity

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 19:40:48

TBH it felt very Trumpian at times.

welbeck Wed 05-Oct-22 19:44:35

is it ok to be north london if you don't live in a townhouse. ?
is it the style of housing or the location that is most damning, i wonder.

LizzieDrip Wed 05-Oct-22 19:46:16

DaisyAnne & WW2 I’m with you. I believe in growth for all, not just an already-privileged minority.

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 19:46:57

wow sad

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Oct-22 19:51:06

A society that promotes growth for those who are able along with a support network for those who aren’t.

I judge deeds and actions not words.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 20:03:27

GrannyGravy13

A society that promotes growth for those who are able along with a support network for those who aren’t.

I judge deeds and actions not words.

But everyone wants growth for goodness sake!

It is nothing special. Who on earth is going to stand up and say she doesn’t believe in growth.

Starmer promised growth last week. But growth with cooperation. Growth with green credentials and growth without disharmony.

God knows we need a period of strength and harmony.

What Truss promised was more disruption, (her words) more identifying the enemy. And tactics of shock and awe, which has been shelved but not gone away.

But what is clear now is the blue water between both her and Starmer. People have a real choice.

Casdon Wed 05-Oct-22 20:05:42

She talks out of her a..e, I’m not taking any notice whatsoever, and I doubt the rest of the population is either.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Oct-22 20:10:12

Whitewavenark2 when I said I judged deeds not word’s perhaps I should have said I do not believe what the PM said in her speech.

DaisyAnne Wed 05-Oct-22 20:24:32

welbeck

winkgrin

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 20:34:02

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavenark2 when I said I judged deeds not word’s perhaps I should have said I do not believe what the PM said in her speech.

Oh good oh - I thought you’d lost your good judgement??

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Oct-22 20:48:08

Words are cheap Whitewavemark2

Deeds and actions are what a government, any government should be judged on and remembered for.

The current PM in my opinion could be far more dangerous than her predecessor.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 21:06:34

Just listening to Rory Stewart. He agrees with you.

Skydancer Wed 05-Oct-22 21:16:24

How do we sustain growth on a planet with finite resources?

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-22 21:21:54

Yes, she is more stupid because she is just a glove puppet for those who call the shots, and most of them do not live in this country.

I think going for growth, unless it is in industries that will help reduce global warming and be environmentally friendly is going to kill us us all. Why not an enriched economy rather that a rich economy.

vegansrock Wed 05-Oct-22 21:32:43

She’s got a house in South London. So that’s alright then.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 05-Oct-22 21:41:28

If Liz Truss and her Chancellor are the state, I'm happy to be an enemy of the state.
I can't afford a North London townhouse.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:47:23

welbeck

North London has some of the poorest boroughs in the country. I guess they'd be OK if they didn't belong to one of the other categories.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:52:16

M0nica

Yes, she is more stupid because she is just a glove puppet for those who call the shots, and most of them do not live in this country.

I think going for growth, unless it is in industries that will help reduce global warming and be environmentally friendly is going to kill us us all. Why not an enriched economy rather that a rich economy.

Somebody told me about an article in the FT about American (and other foreign) influence on Truss. I don't have access to the FT, so I can't read the article, but it makes sense.

Truss and Kwarteng have been heavily influenced by American think tanks and big corporations. The ideas for growth with low taxes might work in America, which has a massive internal market and spare manufacturing capacity. Those ideas can't just be transposed to a UK context.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:54:10

Has Truss said anywhere what kind of growth she envisages?

growstuff Thu 06-Oct-22 00:00:22

There are cases where unpopular government measures could be effective for the country as a whole, but Truss has failed to show how the measures in the mini-budget would be effective.

One example might be government investment in a battery research and manufacturing plant, preferably in an area with high unemployment and a history of engineering (the North East?)

MayBee70 Thu 06-Oct-22 08:27:02

In his blog Rory Stewart says he thinks Truss and Kwarteng want to turn this country into a Singapore type economy.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Oct-22 08:29:30

It occurs to me that identifying most of the counntry as the enemy is not a particularly intelligent thing to do.

Everyone now understands that Truss is not gunning for them but a tiny minority, mostly the vastly wealthy.

She also tried to identify with white van man and hairdressers.? My hairdresser will have something to say about that I’m sure.

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 08:32:44

The current PM……….could be far more dangerous than her predecessor.

Oh yes indeed. Be careful what you wish for.