Gransnet forums

News & politics

The matter of Angela Rayner's house sale isn't going away.....

(593 Posts)
LovesBach Fri 12-Apr-24 14:58:54

Angela Rayner is now to be investigated for breaking electoral law. It seems she has said that she married, and then lived in her ex council house for the next four years, while her husband lived in his nearby ex council house with her brother. Neighbours at her address said that her brother lived in her house alone, and that he referred to her as his landlady. This issue seems to be getting bigger by the day - surely electoral rolls show where people are registered to vote, and this should clarify the matter.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Apr-24 15:01:10

All will be revealed, I guess, but I'll be really disappointed if she turns out to be as bigger fraudster as the rest of them.

Torricella4 Fri 12-Apr-24 15:28:02

Very sad,however, the present chancellor of the exchequer managed to dodge a hefty sum of stamp duty a few years ago and the conservatives seemed to have brushed that under their somewhat threadbare carpet methinks...Just saying.

Grandmabatty Fri 12-Apr-24 15:44:24

I spy a dead cat

Urmstongran Fri 12-Apr-24 15:49:35

1) Did Angela Rayner commit tax fraud by providing false information about her main house of residence when she sold her council house, in order to evade paying Capital Gains Tax?

2) Did Angela Rayner commit council tax fraud by providing false information about her main house of residence on any council tax forms?

3) Did Angela Rayner commit electoral fraud by providing false information on any electoral register forms about her main house of residence?

I would be very interested to hear Angela Rayner's answers to these direct questions.
And whether Keir Starmer can state categorically that he believes that she can truthfully answer "no" to all three.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Apr-24 15:53:12

I saw,her on tv the other morning, and she said she is perfectly happy to be checked out, because she has done nothing at all wrong.

She did look a,bit shifty, perhaps, though.

Casdon Fri 12-Apr-24 15:56:38

Urmstongran

1) Did Angela Rayner commit tax fraud by providing false information about her main house of residence when she sold her council house, in order to evade paying Capital Gains Tax?

2) Did Angela Rayner commit council tax fraud by providing false information about her main house of residence on any council tax forms?

3) Did Angela Rayner commit electoral fraud by providing false information on any electoral register forms about her main house of residence?

I would be very interested to hear Angela Rayner's answers to these direct questions.
And whether Keir Starmer can state categorically that he believes that she can truthfully answer "no" to all three.

The best way for these questions to be answered is through a police investigation. It should be very straightforward to identify either way, job done.

LizzieDrip Fri 12-Apr-24 15:57:06

Agree Grandmabatty! This is the Tories and their client media up to their old tricks. Boris Johnson attends numerous parties during lockdown … but look, Keir Starmer has a beer and a curry not during lockdown. Nadhim Zahawi ‘comes to an arrangement with HRMC’ to pay £5million in unpaid taxes and penalties … but look, Angela Raynor may / may not owe £1k in tax from 10 years ago, before she was even an MP. William Wragg sends d* pics and discloses colleagues phone numbers to a stranger online, potentially causing a security risk … but look, AR may / may not have given an incorrect address. Why were journalists questioning AR’s neighbours anyway - smacks of a Tory / media witch hunt to me. They’re trying to create the create the narrative that ‘all politicians are as bad as each other’. Well, they’re not!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Apr-24 15:59:59

The Tories are desperate aren’t they?😀

But saying that, the police investigation should sort it one way or another.

LizzieDrip Fri 12-Apr-24 16:00:53

She did look a,bit shifty, perhaps, though.

Not sure that stands up in a court of law🙈

DiamondLily Fri 12-Apr-24 16:02:59

I must admit I don’t really care what house she was living in and when.🤷‍♀️

LizzieDrip Fri 12-Apr-24 16:04:24

Same DiamondLily!

MissAdventure Fri 12-Apr-24 16:04:56

LizzieDrip

^She did look a,bit shifty, perhaps, though.^

Not sure that stands up in a court of law🙈

Thankfully not.
I'm rooting for her to be found as honest as the day's long.

Casdon Fri 12-Apr-24 16:05:31

I don’t suppose she had a mate to lend her £800k like Boris did either.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Apr-24 16:07:49

Nothing as yet from Labour's Andy Burnham. Stockport in Manchester so he's got skin in this game, as both ex council houses ( and now there are two house sales and CGT in question) are in Stockport.

Wonder if he'd prefer it if Angie hit the buffers so he'd have a better shot at the leadership after Starmer - because one thing for certain, Starmer's not going to be around for long.

Casdon Fri 12-Apr-24 16:10:59

Have you got a hotline to Labour HQ Urmstongran, or are you fantasising? Seriously, Andy Burnham is not going to be Keir Starmer’s replacement, I bet you.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Apr-24 16:13:15

I can dream Casdon! Yes just speculating as one does on a Friday tea time up North….
😁

Also … listen to Mr Lammy, that pinnacle of intellectual genius. As he explained, as Rayner is in Opposition not Government, she is not judged by the same moral criteria. Don’t you just love it?
Just hilarious!

Louella12 Fri 12-Apr-24 16:14:07

I wish Andy Burnham would replace Keir.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 12-Apr-24 16:15:54

It’s very strange that she refuses to publish the tax advice she claims to have received, and that Starmer says he hasn’t seen it.

Casdon Fri 12-Apr-24 16:20:17

Germanshepherdsmum

It’s very strange that she refuses to publish the tax advice she claims to have received, and that Starmer says he hasn’t seen it.

Why? No doubt she’ll disclose it to the police, which is as it should be.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 12-Apr-24 16:25:20

Why hasn’t she even shown it to Starmer, given all the fuss? Don’t you think that someone in her position, accused of criminal offences, should do that? Starmer could then say he’d seen it and believes all was in order. If the advice exists, of course …

One of her former neighbours, interviewed by the press, called her ‘a f***ing liar’. We shall see.

Casdon Fri 12-Apr-24 16:25:27

Urmstongran

I can dream Casdon! Yes just speculating as one does on a Friday tea time up North….
😁

Also … listen to Mr Lammy, that pinnacle of intellectual genius. As he explained, as Rayner is in Opposition not Government, she is not judged by the same moral criteria. Don’t you just love it?
Just hilarious!

Similar to the fantasies we all have in our idle moments then - but I tend not to fantasise about politicians, they aren’t attractive enough.
I agree David Lammy was out of order. I want the people in charge to have no skeletons in their closets, I don’t care which party they represent in that respect.

zakouma66 Fri 12-Apr-24 16:28:24

How horrible we have all become. Rubbing our collective hands in glee at this.
I know very little about her but the fact that she did ,at one time, actually work for a living is a start.

growstuff Fri 12-Apr-24 16:30:40

Casdon

Have you got a hotline to Labour HQ Urmstongran, or are you fantasising? Seriously, Andy Burnham is not going to be Keir Starmer’s replacement, I bet you.

Quite honestly, I would have thought being leader of the Labour Party and/or PM is the last thing Burnham would want. He seems happy enough where he is (can't say I blame him).

MissAdventure Fri 12-Apr-24 16:31:29

I'd certainly keep everyone speculating, if I was her.
Just for the sheer pleasure of knowing I was telling the truth (if I was)