Gransnet forums

News & politics

We were right to leave the EU

(78 Posts)
BevSec Thu 18-Apr-24 09:54:16

I have just read a letter published in a national newspaper which states that the meeting of minds at the National Conservatism conference in Brussels was peaceful and simply expressing a different point of view from the EU. This was then threatened with closure, after speeches by Nigel Farage and Suella Braverman, amongst others. The letter writer goes on to say the EU is acting like a communist state and proves how right we were to leave. I thoroughly agree.

Siope Thu 18-Apr-24 09:58:04

Er… it was one mayor who asked to have the event closed, and nothing whatsoever to do with the EU (or even the Belgian government).

halfpint1 Thu 18-Apr-24 09:59:55

Grasping at straws there

Wyllow3 Thu 18-Apr-24 10:01:22

Yes, and there is a whole thread about it already
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1334617-Brussels-police-ordered-to-attend-a-right-wing-conference-attended-by-Braverman-and-Farage

Bumface Thu 18-Apr-24 10:07:53

Hmm. I don't want to offend anyone but the only advantage we gained from not being in the EU, as far as I can see, was purely accidental in that we probably got our covid vaccines sooner.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 18-Apr-24 12:29:49

Oh, but how can you forget the blue black passports which we could have had at any time while in the EU ??

Dickens Thu 18-Apr-24 12:57:02

BevSec

I have just read a letter published in a national newspaper which states that the meeting of minds at the National Conservatism conference in Brussels was peaceful and simply expressing a different point of view from the EU. This was then threatened with closure, after speeches by Nigel Farage and Suella Braverman, amongst others. The letter writer goes on to say the EU is acting like a communist state and proves how right we were to leave. I thoroughly agree.

The letter writer goes on to say the EU is acting like a communist state

... the entire EU organisation?

Or just one mayor?

Greta Thu 18-Apr-24 13:22:42

The EU has always been a difficult concept for some Brits. A caller to a phone-in programme asked " what is the capital of EU?"

HousePlantQueen Thu 18-Apr-24 13:26:48

halfpint1

Grasping at straws there

Indeed. As if this was the motivation for those who voted to leave, unless they are blessed with the gift of prophecy of course.

Cossy Thu 18-Apr-24 13:34:36

Oh so right that I’ve just heard a news report strongly suggesting that we are suffering from shortages of medications now much of which is due to Brexit, a pharmacist was interviewed in this country, along with an Israeli supplier, both of whom stated Brexit has had a detrimental effect on the delivery of drugs to the UK

maddyone Thu 18-Apr-24 13:41:23

Wheniwasyourage

Oh, but how can you forget the blue black passports which we could have had at any time while in the EU ??

Do you care what colour your passport is? I don’t. It can be sky blue pink with a yellow border for all I care.
I do care that I’ve got a valid passport so that I can travel.

M0nica Thu 18-Apr-24 14:06:53

I love these people who reach sweeping global (or EU wide) conclusions on a sample of one. In this case an decision made by the mayor of one city in one country, that few, even in the same country, agree with.

There is one thing one can say about these Brexiteers, they are a living thinking justification of why all children should study maths until they are 18.

The OP like many others like her could do with doing a basic course in statistics, with the emphasis on probability.

Dickens Thu 18-Apr-24 14:08:41

Greta

The EU has always been a difficult concept for some Brits. A caller to a phone-in programme asked " what is the capital of EU?"

A caller to a phone-in programme asked " what is the capital of EU?"

I've been told, in the past, to actually move to the EU as I seemed to like it so much - but I'm not sure which part of the institution would be willing to accommodate me, or where.

The concept of wanting to be both a member of the EU but remain in the UK is also a difficult concept for some.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 18-Apr-24 14:08:48

As Siope says - this is a matter for one mayor of one city. I am puzzled as to how this is seen as an EU matter.

growstuff Thu 18-Apr-24 14:19:35

Chocolatelovinggran

As Siope says - this is a matter for one mayor of one city. I am puzzled as to how this is seen as an EU matter.

It was in Brussels. People also have difficulty with the concept of correlation.

vegansrock Thu 18-Apr-24 15:46:55

You don’t expect people who think Brexit was a good thing to have a grasp of economics do you? Let alone the difference between correlation and causation.

pascal30 Thu 18-Apr-24 15:51:31

vegansrock

You don’t expect people who think Brexit was a good thing to have a grasp of economics do you? Let alone the difference between correlation and causation.

sadly so true...

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Apr-24 15:58:18

I thought there were riots in the street at this conference?
Am I wrong then?

Was the EU just being mean??
grin

ronib Thu 18-Apr-24 16:23:25

NotSpaghetti were the riots for or against the conference being held?

BevSec Thu 18-Apr-24 17:04:19

Vegansrock, the thick brexiteer comments have been made many times, how arrogant and superior is that comment.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Apr-24 17:10:16

If we get a Labour government I will be astounded if they don’t take the sensible course and at a minimum ensure closer working at a military level, and certainly at an economic one.

Let’s see what happens after that.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Apr-24 17:19:08

Whitewavemark2

If we get a Labour government I will be astounded if they don’t take the sensible course and at a minimum ensure closer working at a military level, and certainly at an economic one.

Whitewavemark the U.K. works extremely closely with European countries across all three of its Military Forces, including Officers/personnel from all over the EU based in England.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Apr-24 17:23:45

ronib

NotSpaghetti were the riots for or against the conference being held?

No, I have looked this up now.
I am mistaken. The reason given for changing venu (twice) was the risk of riots I understand, apologies, I clearly got that wrong.

But of course the local mayor did try to get it shut it down in case of problems with anti-fascist groups but it was deemed lawful so went ahead.

I think it's a storm on a teacup actually.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Apr-24 17:26:16

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

Whitewavemark the U.K. works extremely closely with European countries across all three of its Military Forces, including Officers/personnel from all over the EU based in England.

I know

Cossy Thu 18-Apr-24 17:30:34

Whitewavemark2

🙏🙏🤞🤞