Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you reading right now?

(673 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:33:00

Always fascinating to know what people are reading and what they are making of it. I am deep in the Herries Chronicles by Hugh Walpole. A wonderful sweeping panoramic look at English history through the prism of a family from the Lakes. Highly recommended

Annobel Wed 14-Mar-12 16:02:14

Our book of the month - Joanna Trollope's Daughters in Law. And I hope nobody ever suggests that I am the kind of MiL portrayed in this novel!

Elegran Wed 14-Mar-12 16:26:34

How did you get a whole forum topic to yourself, *CharlotteOldie? Not just a conversation or thread, a whole topic?

Seventimesfive Wed 14-Mar-12 20:58:55

We already have a thread on this.

BeaSotted Wed 14-Mar-12 21:15:59

"Old Men Can't Wait" by Simon Gandolfi, the second of his odysseys that I've read: this septugenarian rides a 125cc Honda 'pizza delivery' bike from Tierra del Fuego to New York.

We met Simon recently when he gave a talk to a Shropshire motorcycle club: very inspiring, lovely man. As he says, "It's never too late"!

Carol Wed 14-Mar-12 21:18:45

Getting a bit confused here - is the idea that we join the oldie borum discussions but they don't join ours? There is already a thread for this one.

susiecb Thu 15-Mar-12 09:16:19

A Week in December by Sebastian Faulkes - about the banking crisis.

BeaSotted Thu 15-Mar-12 11:31:57

The Oldie Borum is a new Forum for readers of The Oldie Magazine ...

glammanana Thu 15-Mar-12 12:19:10

There is already an ongoing thread on GN.

feetlebaum Thu 15-Mar-12 15:43:16

Mansfield Park (Jane Austen)

How to Teach Quantum Mechanics to your Dog

and I have two unread as yet on my Kindle - one of the 'Bindle' novels by Herbert Jenkins, and 'The Doorbell Rang' by Rex Stout (a Nero Wolfe novel)

I like a bit of variety...

silversurfer Fri 16-Mar-12 13:07:33

I am reading Faye Kellerman's "Blindman's Bluff" a good read from the crime thriller genre.

Carol Fri 16-Mar-12 14:10:02

Geraldine!!

Quote from this thread 'The Oldie Borum is a new Forum for readers of The Oldie Magazine ...'

Please can we end this segregation - it's unpleasant - let's all be Gransnetters on Gransnet and Oldies on The Oldie magazine. Please??

nightowl Fri 16-Mar-12 14:52:13

But can we please just have one thread about what we are reading at the moment as it's too confusing to have all these duplicates. And that's my last contribution to an 'Oldie Borum' thread.

Pancha Mon 19-Mar-12 22:34:00

I am reading 'Call the Midwife'. I loved the TV programme; I cannot get over how excellently cast Miranda Hart is as Chummy.

Annobel Mon 19-Mar-12 22:37:38

carol and nightowl I do so agree. I contributed to this one early on by mistake because it had the same thread title as 'ours' - there's no good reason for this confusion.

Carol Tue 20-Mar-12 06:46:02

It dies down every now and again Annobel, and we are all as one, which is really nice. We have such a lot of new posters contributing and dividing us up again with Oldie threads is really not necessary.

Elegran Tue 20-Mar-12 11:18:09

Surely GNHQ could amalgamate the two "What are you reading/" threads into one?

Carol Tue 20-Mar-12 11:23:19

They won't Elegran. The Denied Contact and Cut Out Of Their LIves threads are still running, despite a request to amalgamate them.

I think we have integrated most of the welcome newbies from the Oldie Borum now, and proved we have no need of this heading. It's like going over to Grannynet and slapping Gransnet headings all over their threads - unnecessary and divisive. The Oldie newbies (who aren't all that new now) are welcome and equal on here without needing that title smile

Elegran Tue 20-Mar-12 11:33:16

I think we should apply pressure to amalgamate duplicate threads. If there is enough demand, it might happen.

jeni Tue 20-Mar-12 12:29:26

I demand

jeni Tue 20-Mar-12 12:30:06

I ask very politely!grin

feetlebaum Wed 11-Apr-12 15:29:14

Having finished Mansfield Park, I am now well into Roy Hudd's A Fart In A Colander autobiography. And I am amazed that we never met, as I knew so many of the places and people he mentions, from the Fleet Street Jazz Club to the Babbacombe Theatre... fascinating, if, like me, you are interested in entertainment and the people who provided it.

Ariadne Wed 11-Apr-12 15:40:43

Have started indignant thread on this "Oldie" thing, and told HQ what I think. Bit cross.

Carol Wed 11-Apr-12 16:00:15

Ariadne ((hugs)) It will go away again - it did the other week! smile

Ariadne Wed 11-Apr-12 16:17:01

Carol smile