Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal baby name predictions here please.

(183 Posts)
shysal Tue 02-Jul-13 11:12:33

Can I be the first to predict the name? I think they will go with traditional.
Alice for a girl.
George for a boy.

annodomini Tue 02-Jul-13 16:05:34

Isn't Kate's brother called James? I'm betting on Victoria Mary Diana, (if it's a girl) though royal babies often have four baptismal names.

nightowl Tue 02-Jul-13 16:07:36

Carole or Mike.

shysal Tue 02-Jul-13 16:08:33

Sook, James would be my second choice prediction if they have a boy.

annodomini Tue 02-Jul-13 16:13:12

They abandoned tradition when they named Princess Margaret Rose.

feetlebaum Tue 02-Jul-13 16:20:07

Dwayne for a boy and Doreen if a girl. No? Norman and Tracy?

No?

'Course not!

Gally Tue 02-Jul-13 16:51:09

Matilda or Catherine; George or Frederick

Oldgreymare Tue 02-Jul-13 16:59:02

Something really trendy and to go with the surname..... Blue.....
A reminder of Dad's happy days in his big yellow bird..... Pilot smile

GadaboutGran Tue 02-Jul-13 17:08:10

How about going back to the real old names - Ethelbert, Aethelflaed, Friedeswide or even, given Aethel means 'well born' or 'royal', just plain Ethel.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jul-13 19:42:19

I've got an actual cold hard cash bet on Matilda, Gally! And a whole English pound each on Arthur, Albert, Alfred and Frederick, all temptingly long odds.

Iam64, Diana's middle name was Frances - this is my daughter's name and I love it of course - it's very aristocratic too, but I don't think it scans well with Princess....

Henrietta Tue 02-Jul-13 20:50:51

How about something sort of Scottish, bearing in mind that they met at university in St Andrews? Neil, Graeme, Alistair, Iain, Fraser or Andrew for a boy; Kirsten, Isobel, Lindsay or Heather for a girl? All good solid traditional names. What about Princess Fiona - now there's a good Scottish name!! Can't see them using it though....

Nelliemoser Tue 02-Jul-13 21:27:04

Royal first borns called Arthur have a bad record of not surviving child hood. Its a nice name though!

Oldgreymare Wed 03-Jul-13 08:50:02

Better steer away from Blodwen... hasn't that been used before hmm I think one of the 'code names' for Camilla was something like that!

dorsetpennt Wed 03-Jul-13 08:57:49

Maybe Diana for one of the middle names, but Alexandra,Victoria, Elizabeth are the usual suspects. Edward,James, Henry, Albert or Arthur if the baby is a boy. As long as they don't give it a name like the one chosen for Peter Phillips baby - Savannah - then we are in trouble as we could get all the silly names.

GadaboutGran Wed 03-Jul-13 16:50:55

Poor things. It's bad enough for new parents to have all the relatives & friends speculating, never mind the wider world. How about Boudicca/Boadicea? - Matilda was a pretty fiery woman too.

Granny23 Wed 03-Jul-13 18:05:06

I hope they avoid any of the previous English Monarch's names so that we don't have the arguments we had with Elizabeth - II in England but the first Elizabeth, Queen of Scots. Victoria would be fine (II throughout the UK) but please not Edward (Hammer of the Scots) or Henry (IX in England but just Henry, King of Scots in Scotland). All this is of course hypothetical - there may not be a monarchy by the time this child inherits from his/her father - hopefully some 60 years into the future.

Bags Wed 03-Jul-13 18:30:50

Victoria's daughter, Princess Louise, married the Duke of Argyll. Louise is allright. Victoria would be allright if it didn't remind one of the Beckham pout.

annodomini Wed 03-Jul-13 18:35:11

Princess Anne has Louise as one of her names - as well as Elizabeth and Alice.

Joan Thu 04-Jul-13 06:46:55

I suppose the name is a bit political, really. I was peeved when William got his name, because I have never forgiven William of Normandy for 1066 and the hundreds of years of misery that followed.

I like James: it is the name of my eldest lad. I would think they will go for real names, not modern made-up ones with weird spellings. Elisabeth would be a safe bet.

MiceElf Thu 04-Jul-13 06:55:05

What about Clement (after Atlee) or Barbara after (Castle) grin

Mamie Thu 04-Jul-13 07:14:19

Intrigued by your comment about William the Conqueror, Joan. Why particularly? I realise you probably mean the years of Anglo-French wars, but wouldn't something similar have happened anyway?
I think the English language would be infinitely poorer without the French words that came with the Normans.

Aka Thu 04-Jul-13 08:06:21

Maud or Arthur

Sook Thu 04-Jul-13 08:40:53

Hells Bells Joan that's a long time to hold a grudge grin.

anno Isn't Prince Edwards daughter called Louise?

feetlebaum Thu 04-Jul-13 08:49:18

Adolf or Eva for an outsider bet? Kevin or Fifi?

Bags Thu 04-Jul-13 09:45:55

Edward has daughters!?? Well, I'll be...

Notso Thu 04-Jul-13 10:10:39

Bags grin