Gransnet forums

Chat

Coroners Inquests

(131 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 04-Feb-18 13:13:29

The inquest into my darling daughters death is on .Tuesday. I am not going. What can I expect? , have never attended one, didn't go to my husbands inquest . I am getting very anxious about it.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Feb-18 23:43:02

Annie flowers

silverlining48 Mon 05-Feb-18 14:18:46

Thinking of you today annie. sad

gillybob Mon 05-Feb-18 14:32:17

I am thinking of you too Annie I have never been involved in, or attended an inquest so can't offer any advice except to say I guess this will be your one and only chance to find out what happened on that tragic day. Are you able to put questions via a third party? S-i-L or S-i-L (who isn't)?

Again I have no experience, just thinking as I type.

SueDonim Mon 05-Feb-18 14:39:31

flowers for your daughter's birthday. There's no need to 'shut up' about your dd, Annie. She's a big part of your life and always will be, so if you want to talk about her, then do.

Wrt the inquest, I'm glad someone is going from your family. Even if you don't want to hear or read anything about it now, it can be put to one side so that if you later change your mind, it will be there for you.

Anniebach Mon 05-Feb-18 15:28:02

Thank you x

The coroners clerk has just phoned me and asked if I was attending , explained no . There are no witnesses called so just be the coroner , coroners clark, my son in law and son in law who isn't. The coroner will reach a verdict by reading the statements . I said we had received a copy of the statements and there nothing said about her mental illness , this is unfair .She had a look on the computer and said there were statements from the health board but they received these after the statements had been sent to us . I said unless her mental illness is taken into account there will no justice for my daughter , the illness led to the drinking not the other way around ,I had said this in my statement. So the coroner will decide if her death was an accident or she took her own life. Son in law is furious, he wants to speak at the inquest, hope he will be allowed to.

I have also had a long talk with the director of the local Mind branch today , they work with the surgery and the mental health team, she is putting my objections to them shutting out families of people with mental illness to the doctors and the mental health unit , I can only hope this will help others in the future , too late for my darling child but she would want others to receive better care than she did.

So just the internment of her ashes with her darling daddy in the Spring and that's it.

winterwhite Mon 05-Feb-18 16:11:03

Oh, Anniebach, how very harsh about the mental illness. But your son -in-law and not-son-in-law will make sure that that's heard. Like everyone else on here, I'll be thinking of you. flowers

Galen Mon 05-Feb-18 16:37:36

Sil should be allowed to speak. But tell him to keep it short and factual. Try not to get over emotional.
Best of the clerk is informed first that he wishes to speak. Any paper evidence should be submitted in advance if possible.
You may not get the verdict on the day, but should get an interim order to allow registration
My father was a deputy coroner for many years.
Hope this helps.

Anniebach Mon 05-Feb-18 16:49:09

He will not show emotion , we have given written statements and there was an interim death certificate last November , thank you Galen

Thank you Winterwhite x

If the local newspaper is there my son in law just wants to say my daughter was let down by the medical services, the coroner will not refer to this but the local rag certaintly will

starbird Mon 05-Feb-18 16:52:18

From what you’ve told us, no one can or will ever be sure exactly what happened. So whatever the Coroner says, it will just be his best judgement given the facts at his disposal, but there will be unknowns that he and you can only guess at. So whatever the verdict, the main thing is that it will draw a line under what happened. Everyone will move on with sadness and regrets, only time will gradually heal the pain of losing your daughter and make it a bit easier to bear. Like others I will be thinking of you. God be with you. ?

Anniebach Mon 05-Feb-18 17:01:53

After reading the statements starbird we know from the man who tried to help her she didn't respond by word or any facial expression , she was blank then jumped . What will remain unknown is why police called at her house four hours before she went to the bridge, they said in a statement it was unrelated to her death but not why they were there at one in the morning .

silverlining48 Mon 05-Feb-18 19:46:07

I know i would want an explanation from the police as to why they went to your daughters house at that late hour only a short time before your daughter so sadly died.
I dont understand why they they havnt especially given the tragic circumstances. Where is the compassion. ?Would this not form part of the inquest, i would have thought so.
We will all be thinking of you tomorrow. Bon courage anniebach..

Anniebach Mon 05-Feb-18 20:40:35

My daughter was chatting to her cousin at 9.00pm, at the end of the conversation she said - see you tomorrow. I don't know when she wrote the messages on the living room wall, she dated them 31st Oct, if she had the date right why didn't the police see four large messages each encircled , a small room in a cottage , if she had the date wrong then after the police called at 1.00am, she died just after five. There was no phone call made after 9, I have the itemised bill , this was very unusual. Three nights before she made three phone calls to the police , we don't know why. Will never know, doesn't help because I do not trust them .

Their statements for the coroner said their visit was unrelated to her death.

Yes please, kind thoughts tomorrow x

Auntieflo Mon 05-Feb-18 22:42:00

Annie, kind and loving thoughts to and for you, tonight and tomorrow especially. I know you will feel wound up and on edge, but remember all your friends on GN who will be wishing you well. Night, night, God bless.

Cherrytree59 Mon 05-Feb-18 22:56:36

Annie flowers
I pray that you will find the strength to get through tomorrow xxxx

Rosieroe Mon 05-Feb-18 23:11:53

Sending loving thoughts Anniebach. ?

I can understand your feelings towards the police for not telling you why they called with your daughter that night, and what happened. If they refuse to give you answers it sounds to me like a case for the Policing Ombudsman.

cornergran Mon 05-Feb-18 23:36:00

I’ll be with you in spirit tomorrow annie as will many other people. I’m afraid you may never get the answers to your questions stay strong, tomorrow will soon be here and then gone.

grannyqueenie Mon 05-Feb-18 23:47:32

Thinking of you tomorrow annie, so many unknowns to make a hard time even harder. x

MissAdventure Mon 05-Feb-18 23:51:18

You'll be in my thoughts Annie. X

Crafting Mon 05-Feb-18 23:55:10

annie another difficult day for you to get through. Thinking of you xxx

BlueBelle Tue 06-Feb-18 07:04:02

We re with you today Annie a big virtual handhold from us all xxx

kittylester Tue 06-Feb-18 07:06:17

Thinking of you today Annie.

M0nica Tue 06-Feb-18 07:43:39

Annie, This time tomorrow the inquest will be behind you. My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

OldMeg Tue 06-Feb-18 07:59:18

Thinking of you today Annie

NanKate Tue 06-Feb-18 08:03:30

Thinking of you today Annie with so many other Gransnetters. ?

Squiffy Tue 06-Feb-18 10:59:29

Thinking of you today Annie. Hoping that the outcome is one that will bring you some peace. ?