Gransnet forums

Chat

Live alone? Have this in your bedroom!

(39 Posts)
Tillybelle Sat 22-Dec-18 19:06:23

Last night I could not open my bedroom door. It had me firmly imprisoned inside my bedroom upstairs. I realised, being alone, do I have to call the Fire Brigade? I had a torch in the bedroom and could see that the catch was not moving when I turned the handle. It opened towards me so I could not kick it open. I had a "jemmy" or crowbar about two feet long in my bedroom (don't ask) so I tried to jemmy open the door but my jemmy was too big to fit between the door and the edge.
I looked around and found - aha! a screwdriver! which I used some time earlier to put up a shelf and didn't put away. Thank God I am untidy! I unscrewed all the screws round the door fastener, eased the screwdriver into the gap and somehow managed to force the catch back! I then had to take the entire door catch mechanism off the door in case it locked me in again!

the lesson from this experience therefore is:

always have a screwdriver in your bedroom, especially if you live alone!

Deedaa Tue 01-Jan-19 22:38:22

DH and I have only recently realised that, with only two of us in the house, there is no need to lock the bathroom door! If the door is closed one of us is in there and unlocked is much safer if one of us is taken ill.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 20:49:11

but not as cuddly ……
although I would prefer a retriever myself.
It could also retrieve the crowbar from under the bed

lemongrove Tue 01-Jan-19 17:54:19

Cheaper than an alsation.

lemongrove Tue 01-Jan-19 17:53:22

Perhaps a golf club would be better though.??????

lemongrove Tue 01-Jan-19 17:50:01

I wouldn’t worry about the later consequences of clonking somebody on the head.They could kill you after all, so getting a good clonk in first would be my goal.
If they are creeping about your bedroom that’s a chance they must be prepared to take.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 01-Jan-19 17:43:16

I hope everyone is joking about clonking an intruder on the head with a crowbar.

If not, please remember that you could be charged with manslaughter if the intruder dies due to being hit on the head with your crowbar.

Legally, you can use "reasonable force" to prevent someone from harming you, but I doubt any procurator fiscal would find thumping someone with a crowbar "reasonable force"

A fully charged mobile phone would be a safer option!

BlueSapphire Sun 30-Dec-18 18:50:21

I'm a bit late to this thread, aren't I? (Only just found it and had a good chuckle). DH used to have to work abroad for weeks at a time, so I used to keep a steak basher/tenderiser under the bed. Then he bought me a German Shepherd who would have had a good go at anyone who broke in. Especially as she slept on the bed next to me...although she wouldn't have been much good at opening stuck doors!

Buffybee Fri 28-Dec-18 12:36:54

Haha! Nice one, Rufus!
You do make me laugh!

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Dec-18 10:04:40

Two of my DC managed in their turn to lock one of their siblings in a room when off to school (probably accidentally tchwink). One had to ring me to dash home from work (after failing to climb through a window) as they’d set the house alarm off, the other escaped by kicking out a panel in the door, Wonder Woman style.

Neither escape as dramatic as DH’s when he was in his teens and locked in. He went down in the cellar and tried to squeeze through the coal hole, got stuck halfway, and had to call weakly for help till a passing pedestrian hauled him out. Oh, how I wish I could have been there!

Rufus2 Fri 28-Dec-18 09:32:03

I also have a crowbar in my bedroom, under my bed
Buffybee; Try the subtle approach and have some of your famous Taquila Sunrises to hand. You know; "1 Taquila , 2Taquila 3Taquila, floor! Then hit him with your crowbar! When he comes to, he'll think it's a huge hangover as you kick him out the door! tchgrin
wine wine wine

Buffybee Thu 27-Dec-18 17:01:07

She would probably bark Jalima then jump under the covers with me. ?
I'm not too worried as Dson has assured me that they target houses with all the top technology.
I should be ok then with my old tv and CD player.

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 16:41:50

That's the answer - a dog!
Although I know one or two who would welcome them with waggy tails.

Buffybee Thu 27-Dec-18 15:41:43

I know Jalima, it's more bravado really.
Hopefully the dog would see them off while I put my head under the covers. ?

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:04:46

Oh dear me, no, please don't do that!!
a burglar could wrest it from you and clonk you on the head.

Buffybee Thu 27-Dec-18 13:45:01

I also have a crowbar in my bedroom, under my bed Tillybelle.
Dson was tidying the garage out a few years ago and I spotted it and rescued it from being thrown out.
Fast forward, perh and Dson is kindly cleaning my bedroom carpet with a Rug Doctor and moved the bed and much to his amusement found it.
I explained that if anyone broke into the house, it was for "clonking" them on the head.
He laughed and said, "Well done, Mum!" .?

Rufus2 Thu 27-Dec-18 13:17:34

I requested my post be deleted because the source contained several filthy items hidden behind links which I failed to vet.!
My apologies! sad

Rufus2 Thu 27-Dec-18 12:13:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 12:05:35

I got caught in the utility room once because the handle came off in my hand.
And I have been locked in the bathroom, which has a silly little lock on the handle - which would not unlock.

Fortunately someone else was in the house to rescue me each time.

Nandalot Thu 27-Dec-18 12:01:59

My DD has a track record for this. First time, she undressed and went into the bathroom for her shower. The bathroom door lock jammed. She had to lean out the window, with a towel round her. She refused to shout ‘Help’ but shouted ‘Hello’ to get someone’s attention who then phoned a locksmith for her.
The second time she went out of her Yale front door into the porch area before realising she didn’t have her keys with her so couldn’t open mortise lock to street or Yale lock to get back into house. Fortunately she had a phone with her so called long-suffering mum and dad.

bikergran Thu 27-Dec-18 11:31:21

many moons ago my dad had a gun cabinet and kept it inside the wardrobe.in the bedroom .the law was he had to keep it locked so the bedroom door was ALWAYS locked..

One morning he got up very early automatically locked the bedroom door...yes fine!! (BUT MY MUM WAS TILL IN BED FAST ASLEEP)!

At some point during the day I rang my mum a few times but no answer.thought oh she must have gone out for part of the day,.(no mobiles then and no phone upstairs)

Wasnt until my dad came home later on that he realised she was still in bedroom, no drinks no nothing on very quiet street that no one passed by shock

poor mum we do laugh about it now... smile

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 10:33:27

Seriously, anyone living alone must be very careful about this possibility.DH once got locked in the bathroom all day,
A few years ago, I was out for most of the day, and neither of us carry a phone about with us.Something had gone wrong in the door handle.He couldn’t get out, and although the best room to be locked in ( loo and water to drink!) was quite upset by the time I got home.
It did make me think, and we had all the interior door handles changed.A jemmy in every room makes sense.grin

Nelliemoser Thu 27-Dec-18 10:16:58

The house doors in my cloakrooms have a push in button that Locks the toilet doors but they can be tricky.

My garden shed has a key lock and an outside slide latch.
If I am in the shed and the latch blows closed I can get stuck there. Lots of rattling the shed latch can work but it can takes time.
Or I shout in the hope that someone is in the house or next doors in the garden. If all else fails I would have to keep banging ot until the latch fell off.
At least we usually have a bucket in the shed if caught short .

grannyactivist Sun 23-Dec-18 17:33:37

Yes, Chewie, me too. I immediately get curious when someone says 'don't ask'. tchgrin

Chewbacca Sun 23-Dec-18 17:21:10

I want to know why Tillybelle has a jemmy in her bedroom? Come on Tilly, spill the beans!

Tillybelle Sun 23-Dec-18 17:07:58

Marydoll. THANKS! and everyone else! You've opened my eyes to more things to be careful about!!

I may actually take all these door handle off the rest of my rooms. They are not very reliable. I am hooking a bit of dog's lead onto a hook to stop the bedroom door from banging to and fro (it does this on a windy day) and am rather proud of the hooks I put up and the little hole I drilled with my lightweight cordless drill.

I have been a widow since I was 41, when I still had children at home, so I have had to manage. I do get a bit of satisfaction from achieving little things without "needing a man"! I've also noticed that the jobs themselves, such as putting up the shelves, painting, mowing (when I was able) and many other "man's job's" that my late husband regarded as his alone and he clearly regarded I would no be able to do properly, are actually quite easy! The hardest part is the preparation. Getting the area clear, moving things out of the way, all the jobs "the woman of the house" had to do, and the cleaning and clearing up afterwards of course while he sat back with a drink and was told what a good job he had done!

Now I am old and disabled, I have lost my confidence very much and have had a few rather horrible things to deal with. I do find it very helpful to have your kind encouragement when I manage something on my own. Even if it is childish of me, the kindness of others and the understanding of friends I have not met but who relate to my predicament and support me so kindly is so valuable!

Thank you everyone!