Gransnet forums

Chat

My beloved cat

(30 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 29-Apr-19 19:54:42

I had my 18 year old cat put to sleep today. Im missing her so much. She had overactive thyroid and was on medication for life.she went downhill rapidly in the last 2 days so i had to take her this morning. The house feels empty. My other cat is not affectionate like holly was so im going to be lonely. Has anyone alse been so attached to a cat or am i being daft. I just want a little body to cuddle

moggie57 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:14:53

i miss each and everyone of my cats. my tommy was extra special he came from a house of 90 cats all inbreeding., he had 5 toes on each paw.one eye.and a was a bully. but after a year he was starting to mellow, in time he became a lovable boy ,he died may 2017 and i miss him so very much...i do have another cat after i said i wouldnt ,but this one was advertised on facebook for a home for a 17 yr old black cat.so muggins me took him in..he hadnt been to a vet in 15 years,got bad teeth and a lump in his tummy.and never been out ,hes making up for lost time and goes out after 2 months of harness walking.and eats like a horse... yes all cats leave pawprints on our heart.i expect your cat didnt want to go to rainbow bridge either. have you read the poem ,it does help..make a fuss of your other cat .in time he will become lovable.and he will miss his friend who has gone.

Deedaa Tue 30-Apr-19 21:17:00

Of course you aren't daft ethelbags1 The ashes of DH's favourite cat are up on the shelf waiting to go in his coffin one day. We've had a lot of cats over the years but some of them really stand out. I still remember the first one very fondly. I think you may find your surviving cat becomes more cuddly now.

fizzers Wed 01-May-19 14:53:38

I was 63 yesterday and since the age of 12 I've had cats 'on and off' so you can imagine I've had the heartbreak of losing many, many cats. The last time one passed away I swore no more, as I couldn't do with the loss and heartbreak, yet here I am again with 3 cats..... I had one and decided to foster cats, I could love them and look after them until they were well enough to go to new homes, however I 'failed' twice and don't foster anymore!

SalsaQueen Wed 01-May-19 20:19:02

I've had cats ever since I left home (40 years ago), and my little 18yr old cat was put to sleep a year ago. She, too, had been on medication for an overactive thyroid and kidney failure, and she went rapidly downhill just the day before we had to have her put to sleep. She was very vocal, and I found the house really quiet (despite having another cat, who now loves being the only one).

Your little cat, like mine, had a long and happy life. You loved her, cared for her, and enjoyed having her around - but she was old and unwell. It was her time to go.

You could think about having another cat, from a shelter, perhaps (all of mine were rescue cats, and my boy now was a stray). Give yourself time, though, and don't rush into getting a new cat yet. x