Gransnet forums

Chat

Dreading turning 60 tomorrow

(112 Posts)
MarieLL59 Thu 16-May-19 23:12:31

Sorry this is a very self indulgent post. I’m 60 tomorrow and I feel very scared about the future. I feel that it’s all downhill from now on. For me this is worse than turning 40 or 50. Please don’t berate me because I realise the alternative is obviously worse, plus many people aren’t lucky enough to get to 60. I’m divorced, single with grown up children and grandchildren, I work full time as a nurse. So nothing to be miserable about etc, but I can’t believe i’m 60!! In my head i’m actually 22 so I feel there must be some mistake! The good thing about being this age is the insight I now seem to have, plus I know some pretty fabulous post 60 ladies, but that hasn’t helped me stop the feeling that time is running out for me. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me if they felt the same, and does it get better?

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 09:26:17

Happy Birthday! ?
Do you feel any different from 12 hours ago? Thought not!
Ages ending in -9 always sound as if you are being “economical with the truth” anyway. grin
So enjoy 60 (and who says you have to change any more digits!)

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 10:02:45

Well if I feel like I do this time next year when I'm approaching 80 then I'll have a lot to be thankful for and my way of looking at it is " why should I feel any different ?"
Okay, one or two health problems but nothing to get excited about as the problem was sorted years ago and duly medicated since, so I certainly don't feel as though I have one foot in the grave. Fortunately I'm mobile, a brisk walker, eyesight okay and " on the ball " with lots of things.

Strangely enough when I was 60 I thought at the time that it was a huge leap from 59, and still do for some unknown reason yet the years that follow are a walk-over. However, if you're fit enough now there's no reason why you can't carry on and just allow the years to roll by while you enjoy them. You won't even notice !

Happy Birthday for tomorrow and enjoy your day. I was in Oz enjoying a champagne breakfast at the time smile

KatyK Fri 17-May-19 10:06:46

I wish I was 60! I'll be 70 this year. Enjoy your day.

SillyNanny321 Fri 17-May-19 10:08:01

Only problem i have with being 74 is that no one my age likes my kind of music ? I like metal,heavy rock & Blues. Do i worry? No! Just turn the volume up ?

Laurensnan Fri 17-May-19 10:12:41

I'll be 60 in 2 years and I dread it. I'm scared at how fast life is going and am scared of old age and all it brings. 60 to me means old age is getting closer. I will be so grateful to get to old age ( my son never even made it to 30) but 60 seems to be the turning point towards it in my head. So I know where you are coming from. I miss my past and fear my future. All of a sudden I realise how fast is all going. I need to change my thinking fast.

flaxwoven Fri 17-May-19 10:13:08

I retired from the NHS aged 66. Now I am 69 I thoroughly enjoy life - looking after my 2 year old grandson who is a delight, art classes, swimming group, walking group, coffees and lunches with friends, church community, free bus pass, Senior Railcard, library - if you have your health there are endless opportunities to enjoy life free of family ties. Get together with friends the same age. Investigate your town for the many activities you can get involved in. I wish I could have enjoyed life this much when I was in my angst-ridden teens and early twenties.

Minshy Fri 17-May-19 10:15:00

I’m 61.. I’d prefer to be 41.. but what the heck..
I’m still working and will until I’m 66. Very physical and stressful job ( NHS) need I say more!
But I’m thankful that I’m healthy enough to do it.
I do have those feelings some times that I’m probably ( if I’m lucky) in the last couple of decades of life. But I’m enjoying what I have.
I’m sure tomorrow won’t feel that bad. Embrace it.
Happy birthday

Miep1 Fri 17-May-19 10:17:39

I was 60 in January and couldn't give a hoot. It's only 59+1! Think of it it like that maybe? I'm on my own, but still try to get around and about! Happy Birthday!

JacquiG Fri 17-May-19 10:34:10

It's not so bad. If you keep an ee on your health and eat proper food, lots of veg, quality meat, the odd glass of wine, be careful about taking too many pills, you should be fine.

I suggest you keep mobile too. I'm well over 70 but still doing PPI in research, inspecting hospital units to be sure they are patient friendly, lots of research activities.

The odd hobby, too, like reading, sewing, gaming, and helping out children and grandchildren when needed.

Now I've had vision correction surgery I can go back to driving once all healed up and stable.

There's lots of good things still in life, and I'm busier than when I was working. So good luck, there's lots of life in you yet.

Lily65 Fri 17-May-19 10:37:23

I think it's pretty normal to stop and think at these milestones.....

It came on me very suddenly. I had my children late in life so I was doing the school gate stuff when I was in my 40's. I just kind of carried on then BOOM, menopause, very elderly parents everything changes.

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-May-19 10:37:50

The future, post 60, is bright. Halogen headlight bright.
Grab it and run. grin

Blinko Fri 17-May-19 10:40:41

As long as you have health and enough money to do more or less what you want in life, what does age matter? Just get on with it!

Samiejb Fri 17-May-19 10:48:31

My goodness me - just think more about the positives you mentioned and lucky you, from what you say, you're only 23 tomorrow

Chinesecrested Fri 17-May-19 10:52:49

Age is just a number! I'm 67 but don't feel any different from when I was in my 20s. Better, in fact. I've got more time to myself, more money(!) (Or at least it feels like it), grandchildren (the joy without the aggravation), security (house), AND apparently people in their 60s can expect to live another 20-30 years! grin

Grannyapple25 Fri 17-May-19 10:56:26

Happy birthday MarieLL59 ? ?
Hello everyone, first time poster here
I too was dreading my 60th birthday, since I hit 50 I've had both my hips replaced, my overies removed and a prolapse!!! I kept thinking what's going to fall off etc when I get to 60 (in a few weeks). My eldest brother convinced me (& my twin bro) to have a summer festival with a 60's hippy theme. We reluctantly agreed. Our family's can't wait wait to camp out, use portaloos (!!!) dress up and celebrate, and that's just the grown ups. I've learnt to embrace my age, after all you can't turn the clock back and I don't believe I'd really want to.
Enjoy your 60th birthday and remember we don't pay for NHS perceptions any more !

Helennonotion Fri 17-May-19 10:58:07

MarieLL59 Happy Birthday! Cherrytree59 I'm with you on the state pension thing! Turning 60 would be just that little bit sweeter if things hadn't changed! I'm 60 in a few weeks and my husband an I are taking ourselves off to the coast for a few days. A nice quiet time (and probably a few glasses of wine!) I struggled to cope with turning 40 and 50 but I feel different this time. In fact I'm a calmer person all round these days. I don't work anymore and the kids have left home. Perhaps thats why! MarieLL59 - go and look at some family photos of older relatives when they were 60. Then look at yourself. I bet theres a world of difference! Hope you are having a marvellous day!

Lancslass1 Fri 17-May-19 10:58:12

It sure beats the alternative!

Grannyapple25 Fri 17-May-19 10:58:17

P.s. We are actually looking forward to it. Please pray it doesn't rain.

Annaram1 Fri 17-May-19 11:02:49

Well, well, well! Happy birthday spring chicken!! I am 78 nd a few days ago I booked a last minute holiday to Egypt, A week's cruise down the Nile with lots of visits to wonderful sites, and then a week in a place called Hurghada. I am excited but totally terrified , as I always am whenever I travel to far-flung places. My dear husband died after a lengthy fight against Alzheimers and a stroke. Fortunately we had some good times together before he got ill.
Do exciting things while you have your health, make wonderful memories, and you will never feel old!

Gonegirl Fri 17-May-19 11:04:07

From sixty to seventy plus were probably the best years of my life. I suddenly got brave about foreign travel. DD2 had not yet met her one and only. So we had great times going for girly trips together. (She has met said one and only now, but it's ok because I am, at 77, feeling pretty knackered) smile

You have a lot to look forward to. Best wishes.

Gonegirl Fri 17-May-19 11:05:16

Annaram1 Respect!

LuckyFour Fri 17-May-19 11:07:52

Happy birthday MarieLL59. Enjoy it. I'm 72 tomorrow, yikes!! Anyway I'm fit, healthy, and very, very busy with all my clubs, groups, little (paid) jobs, volunteering etc. I've never had more friends and I feel really valued.
Try to stay fit and healthy (don't bother with the gym) walk, talk, meet friends, stay slim, join clubs, read books/poetry. Have a great time. Can be the best time of your life if you let it.

Lily65 Fri 17-May-19 11:12:39

If you feel positive and happy clappy good for you. If you don't that's equally acceptable.

MiniMoon Fri 17-May-19 11:14:25

Happy Birthday Marie. ? I hope you have a great day.
My family marked my 60th at my parents house. They all gathered there, and when I called in, we had a surprise party.
A lot has happened since then, and I'm happily approaching 68.
Life is full and good. Enjoy it while you're still fit and able. Happy day.

Nanny123 Fri 17-May-19 11:19:26

I know exactly how you are feeling as I felt exactly the same a couple of years ago when I turned 60. I told everyone no cards with 60 on and definately no party. The day came and went with afternoon tea with my 2 daughters and that was it - just another birthday which it was. I am sure once the day has passed you will feel better as thats all it is - another day! Saying that I do hope you have a lovely “birthday” and do something nice.