Gransnet forums

Chat

Dreading turning 60 tomorrow

(112 Posts)
MarieLL59 Thu 16-May-19 23:12:31

Sorry this is a very self indulgent post. I’m 60 tomorrow and I feel very scared about the future. I feel that it’s all downhill from now on. For me this is worse than turning 40 or 50. Please don’t berate me because I realise the alternative is obviously worse, plus many people aren’t lucky enough to get to 60. I’m divorced, single with grown up children and grandchildren, I work full time as a nurse. So nothing to be miserable about etc, but I can’t believe i’m 60!! In my head i’m actually 22 so I feel there must be some mistake! The good thing about being this age is the insight I now seem to have, plus I know some pretty fabulous post 60 ladies, but that hasn’t helped me stop the feeling that time is running out for me. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me if they felt the same, and does it get better?

mcem Wed 22-May-19 11:45:53

Even turning 70 was fine for me!
However, 2 months later I broke my hip. Recovered well and felt quite smug
having been told by physio's and GP that I was a fit, young 70!
Shortly afterwards I was hit by a nasty gastric condition which I found more debilitating than the hip op.
Have now been told I have osteoporosis!
Look after your health because good health will give you a happy lifestyle regardless of the numbers.
Happy birthday! Enjoy!

Resurgam123 Wed 22-May-19 11:41:35

So much depends on your health and the state of your joints. You can strive to live healthfully . But injuries etc are usually unavoidable.

jacq10 Wed 22-May-19 11:29:44

This has been such a great post to read! I'm galloping towards 73 and have currently been sitting on a bus (free) for 2hrs on way to have lunch with DD. I have all the time in the world to myself as DH passed away at the end of last year and I manage to fill my days and weeks. He was retired for nearly 22 yrs and we made the most of it and had many happy memories to look back on. He had his fair share of medical problems (latterly living with heart failure) but we were thankful to be able to enjoy our lives and family. The last few months have been hard but I echo a lot of the gransnetters (I am so glad I found you) and try to do the right things (get out and about, contact friends and family regularly and arrange things) although the best bit of my day is sitting in the garden with my thoughts and thankfully I have the energy and will to keep going and hopefully I will be feeling the same as I approach 80!!

Grannyknot Wed 22-May-19 10:07:32

Greengage I love that! Falling in love "in the old-fashioned way" (as I've heard said) is wonderful - and age is no barrier to that.

flowers

Greengage Wed 22-May-19 00:16:39

When I was 60 my husband died. Some rather mundane years passed. Then at 70, quite unexpectedly, I fell in love, and the last three years have just got better and better. I feel younger, fitter and happier than I have done in a long time!

Who ever knows what is around the corner?

allassinsane Tue 21-May-19 13:45:14

Hope you had a lovely birthday! I'll be 62 (how did that happen!) soon. Even writing that number down seems unreal! I do have a couple of health issues but as the song goes "always look on the bright side of life..." Inside I feel in my twenties but as someone else said looking in the mirror with my glasses on the proof is there that I am indeed 62! I'll stop looking in the mirror with my glasses on...

Grammaretto Tue 21-May-19 07:40:10

I hope you celebrated or intend to!
I changed the date of my birthday so that everyone of my AC and DGC could be at my big summer birthday party.
But that was 70.
At 60 I got my bus pass and travelled as far as I could go with it - to Orkney and what a magical place that is.
Here's to the next 10 years!!wine

MarieLL59 Tue 21-May-19 06:59:14

Thank you for your kind responses. The dreaded day has now past. I do feel different but not in a bad way. Or at least i’m pushing negative thoughts away and trying to feel empowered. I think I should just shut up really, be grateful i’ve reached this age and try to be the best I can be at 60. I had a ‘wobble’ and it still feels weird to be 60 when really I’m 22, but sitting moaning about it won’t change anything, but getting out there, making an effort with the life i’ve got will!

trueblue22 Mon 20-May-19 23:20:20

I've just turned 67.

I'm a widow as my DH of 35 years suddenly died 2 years ago.

I was elected as a local authority councillor last year in a 'safe' ward. I love being with my fellow councillors, who range in age from 25 to late 70s. And the stimulation of council work keeps me interested and busy.

I've also just taken up art and am completing a sketchbook course. I also sing in a singing group and have 2 lovely young grandchildren and a dog that needs lots of walks.

I really don't feel my age and live in the 'now'. We are all going to die one day, so just enjoy each day and be grateful for your family, friends and good health.

I think keeping yourself occupied and interested in life stops you thinking of your chronological age...it's just a number!

mothertrucker52 Mon 20-May-19 23:05:58

I met the love of my life when I was 61 (I am now 67), I still do a demanding ohysical job -HGV driver - and I have never been happier, touch wood! ??

Allegretto Sun 19-May-19 23:51:34

I’m 60 and it’s fabulous!

Baloothefitz Sun 19-May-19 01:28:06

Oh Happy Day Marie x

Jabberwok Sat 18-May-19 17:55:34

60?!! That's no age at all!! I'm 76, DH 79! We are, I will admit, a little creaky, but still have our marbles, love life, adore our three grandchildren and are enormously proud of, and grateful for our two middle aged children. Heavens, you've got years yet to make hay!! Enjoy!!!!

Deedaa Sat 18-May-19 17:49:14

I found 50 was the worst one, it just sounds so boring! 60 didn't seem so bad in comparison and I could start working towards full on eccentricity. In my head of course I am still 21, or 18 on a good day. wink

pinkjj27 Sat 18-May-19 11:41:03

SStay healthy stay fit and if you feel 22 then carry on like that My best friend is 79 and looks about 40 has a very full life and enjoys it to the full, I am not there yet but we have an aging population so the idea of it all downhill from here is becoming a bit irrelevant.

Lilyflower Sat 18-May-19 10:33:47

It is just a day like any other. Nothing happens to you overnight!

Keep in mind that you feel 22 and go with that. Look after your health, wealth and beauty and keep optimistic. All the studies say that older people are happier.

I am 62 and life has never been better.

NanaPlenty Sat 18-May-19 08:19:22

I've had days when I feel like you do, I will be sixty in June. But who knows what the future holds ? There is always the possibility of a telegram from the Queen. Every day is a new opportunity- live life to the full - enjoy it. It's an age where we don't or shouldn't have so many hang ups or worry what others think. I still think I'm 30 I can't believe how time has flown. My mum passed suddenly at 74 and that worried me but let's not waste time worrying. No one will live forever and sometimes that's hard to accept but lots of very brave children have gone before their time so we must live the best life we can. Pension would be nice but seems a way off yet. Happy birthday - enjoy.

Dolcelatte Sat 18-May-19 06:04:45

I know exactly how you feel, having reached that milestone very recently. Of course, rationally, it's just another day, but I agree that it's a time when we take stock and wonder about the future. However, now that psychologically I have come to terms with it, I know think whoopee, no more milestones for another decade (if I am lucky). Happy Birthday! flowers

janeainsworth Sat 18-May-19 02:38:39

Lol marmight you’re not an old bat grin

marie my DMiL once said it was alright in your 50s with your 60s to look forward to, but not so good in your 60’s with your 70’s to look forward to.
All I can say is that at 69, I feel healthier, fitter and happier than I did at 59.
Don’t leave retirement too long, and enjoy every minute, it will never come againsmile

Marmight Fri 17-May-19 23:00:38

Happy Birthday you Spring Chicken! I was 71 this week. I can't believe it, but sadly it's true. Like everyone else, in my head I feel much younger, about 32! I'm reliably told I don't look my age although when I look in the mirror with my specs on I recoil in horror at the old bat looking back at me.
Enjoy your sixties, keep active and make the most of every moment, for in the blink of an eye you'll soon be 70 ?

CanadianGran Fri 17-May-19 22:03:56

On being a Seenager:
- I have everything I wanted as a teenager, but 50 years later
- I don't have to go to school or work (well maybe for a few more years)
- I get an allowance every week.
- I have my own pad.
- I don't have a curfew
- I have a drivers license and my own car
- I don't have to worry about getting pregnant
- I don't have acne

Got this from the internet - look on the bright side!

olive2709 Fri 17-May-19 20:48:30

In my family the females never get older then 39 or we reverse the numbers so happy 6th b/day

Avor2 Fri 17-May-19 20:32:32

I was dreading reaching 60, but it turned out to be just another day, I was lucky enough to retire just afterwards and found that I had lots more time for myself. Sometimes my body realises I am now nearly 68 but as long as I don't look in the mirror for too long I am ok smile As long as you have reasonable health, obviously bits will drop off as you age, but do things while you can, enjoy your life and family. Hope you have a lovely Birthday

grannylyn65 Fri 17-May-19 20:17:57

Yeah, 70 now! It’s ok

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 20:07:53

You're alive and in good health?? ( i hope)good kids/grandkids.. so try not to dwell on age its just a number...