Gransnet forums

Chat

writing a book

(46 Posts)
desjumeaux17 Sat 24-Aug-19 16:34:45

Has anyone here written a book and published it?
I have tried for sometime but just cant get past the half way mark. And if I do complete the story how can I publish it?

Paperbackwriter Mon 26-Aug-19 15:14:06

I've had 20 novels published by a mainstream publisher (It's been the day job for nearly 30 years now). My advice would be to join a writing group (in real life, not just an online one) if you have one nearby and to read MsLexia and Writing Magazine and to get some practice in by doing their competitions. It really hones the craft to have to write to a word-count and to do something smaller than an entire novel.

Another one I rather like and which I have contributed to is something called Paragraph Planet (Paragraphplanet.com) who publish a tiny 75 word piece every day. If you're stuck on your main work it's good fun to have something tiny to work on and have out there for all to see!

On a more major investment level, I also recommend doing a course at a retreat. Try Chez Castillon (google that one, I don't have the exact web address to hand) in SW France where the hosts are wonderful, you'll get expert advice and guidance and have a brilliant time as well.

And maccyt1995 I think BradfordLass72 was absolutely right - some people do go to courses already convinced their work is at genius level but many more go there for help and to boost confidence. I don't think she was mocking anyone, simply stating her experience.

Jane10 Mon 26-Aug-19 16:26:44

Apart from anything else there's no substitute for just plain luck! I know that the harder you get the luckier you can become but I've struck lucky in several occasions that were sheer flukes. I'm always aware of that and never take any success for granted.

trisher Mon 26-Aug-19 17:06:00

desjumeaux17 I too have half finished novels. I have done creative writing courses and even an MA. The novels remain unfinished. One of my tutors once said that everyone has their particular difficulty when writing, some it's plot, some character, some voice, for me its finishing. Writing got me through some really difficult times in my life and I am eternally grateful to those who read and critiqued my work. I'm now not sure I want to be published, I know its supposed to be the ultimate aim but actually I find the writing enough for me. And I've always been a bit lazy, so I do the bit I enjoy and not the hard bit!

Valski Mon 26-Aug-19 17:59:47

Hi BradfordLass,

Can I ask which genre of novel you write? I am struggling with the intensive background research needed for a time slip story. You could carry on researching for ever I feel and rather daunting for a debut novel. Thanks, Valski

HazelG Mon 26-Aug-19 18:03:42

My best friend was writing a short story just for her own and her nieces enjoyment, I drew a couple of pictures to accompany it at her request.
In her story there was a large and beautiful oak tree and one day, whilst I was visiting her, I commented on how impressive the sycamore across the street was, I hadn't realised her tree in her story had been based on it.
A minor argument then ensued as she was convinced the tree across the street was an oak as her husband and FiL had both referred to it as such. I agreed to differ and went home only to later get a phone call of apology as she had checked it out and I was right.
The whole thing was probably not helped by the fact I had also pointed out that lightning precedes thunder. She had asked me to proof read it before she gave it to her nieces.
My friend is in no way un-intelligent but she had obviously gotten carried away by her creative burst and the euphoria that can accompany it.
It is so easy at times be swept away when we impress ourselves. Constructive criticism is not always painless but it should be never be dismissed.
Just saying like [grins]

Jane10 Mon 26-Aug-19 19:09:48

Valski background research is, of course, important but the story is what keeps readers turning the pages. How about getting on with that and checking details at the end?

Nanny41 Mon 26-Aug-19 19:35:30

I write a non fiction book last year and did self publishing, I had a great publisher, so helpful,and things went very well.The hardest part is now for me to market the book, I have sold fifty copies, mostly to friends and other people who know me but I woud like to branch out and reach more people I dont know how to do this.
I hope you will be very successful desjumeaux17, never give up,when you are holding your book in your hand for the first time, that will be a moment to remember.Good Luck.

BradfordLass72 Tue 27-Aug-19 00:42:01

Maccyt1955

Let me just explain a little.

Everyone who signed up to the class, which incidentally I taught free, the money went to our local library, wanted to improve technique, that's what the classes were for.

It was also my job to judge, like it or not, which books a publisher might be interested in. Publishers are business people and what they take on board must sell to make a profit.

People who join a class, are given exercises and helpful advice. If they then just laugh and say, 'But I'm waaaaaay beyond that sort of thing.' They don't want to learn.

Often they have sent their manuscript to Random House or Harper Collins and their collection of funny things their pets did, or poems their children wrote, is not what a publisher is looking for. So they were rejected.

The writers could not understand why, when they and their family thought it was so amazing, a publisher didn't leap at it, offering a huge advance.

Should I have lied about what publisher are looking for?

Instead, I told the whole class that New Zealand was a small market and often, in order to make a profit, a publisher has to sell thing internationally as well as at home and therefore will choose only the best of a very large pool of enthusiastic NZ writers.

When you join a writers group - and I have sat in on many, prior to giving talks, what you get is praise. 'Oh, that's wonderful Betty!'
And Betty thinks it is - but there are glaring mistakes and weak writing and a lack of all the absolutely necessary things which make a great story and good writing - and what a publisher is looking for. If publishing is the goal which in 99% of cases, it is.

If you don't know what 'scene goals' and 'story goals' are; if you don't know how to build up tension and move from one peak of conflict or danger to another; if you can't build convincing characters; if you haven't done your research correctly; if you can't edit effectively - then you need to learn more about your craft.

And that is what my classes were supposed to do - help.
Criticism was never, ever given unkindly.

I wasn't running an ego-stroking writers' group but a creative writing class which was billed as a learning device.
I never tried to put any writer down, I only offered help.

BTW, three of the young writers who came to my classes and worked diligently at their homework are now published and doing very well.

None of the arrogant 'I'm waaaay better than that' writers are.

I hope you get a really GOOD tutor who will be honest about what's needed and guide and advise you on your way.

Molly10 Tue 27-Aug-19 07:03:48

I'm enjoying reading this thread. There are some very good tips on here.

One thing that is very obvious in the current age is that the internet has caused a huge turn around in how publishing works.

If you have the talent and nouse you could literally write, publish and promote a book while sitting in your P J's and not leaving the house.

I haven't written or tried to publish a book so I have no tips to offer but I'm very impressed by the amount of responders that have written and published books, indeed many of them.

Would any of you like to name the books or genres? I would be very interested to read any or all of them. P M if unable to post on forum.

CarlyD7 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:18:34

An elderly friend of mine (aged 92) has just written a book on her life story - she's had a very interesting one (including 3 different careers) and has seen a lot of changes over the years in society. She wrote it for her family only and self published it. I think it depends on what kind of book it is and why you're writing it. If you're writing about your life then it has to be something VERY unusual or you need to have known famous people to get a wider audience.

CarlyD7 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:32:51

Both the wide ownership of computers and writing packages, and writing courses, plus the ability to self-publish has led to an overwhelming number of books being published (lots of them self-published). However, that doesn't mean that everyone has the talent or the skills to actually write a book that deserves to be widely read. Having been in writing groups in the past and done courses, I've realised that it's vital to put our fragile egos in the cupboard, and be prepared to hear some harsh truths about our prose if we really want to improve! Too many of us have had kind feedback from friends and family (who didn't want to hurt our feelings), or even too-kind writing groups, and therefore are bemused to get honest feedback from writing tutors. A friend of mine recently self-published her book and asked for comments beforehand from friends - she told us "I only want positive feedback!" Needless to say, when the book was published (on Kindle) it wasn't very good and hasn't sold any copies beyond immediate family (and she is at a loss to understand why ... )

Maremia Tue 27-Aug-19 10:33:18

So that's why you all write such interesting posts.

Hotmama Tue 27-Aug-19 10:36:00

I’ve written a children’s book based on characters that featured in bedtime stories told to me by my dad in the fifties. I so enjoyed them and the memory stayed with me, so much so, I started to put it all down on paper turning it into chapters with the little characters having adventures.
Family and friends keep urging me to get it published but I really don’t think today’s kids would enjoy it. I’m just so pleased I committed the memory to paper.

CarlyD7 Tue 27-Aug-19 11:29:21

desjumeaux17 Sorry - this thread seems to have diverted a bit from your original questions! I too have many half finished stories (and even a novel) as I'm terrible at finishing things. I read once that many novels comprise of "a beginning, a muddle, and an end" so I don't think you're alone in struggling halfway, when so many books seem to lose their momentum. What helped me was to think about other areas of my life where I struggled to finish things - it's an old pattern (for me). I looked at where I had managed to finish things and what had made the difference, and then applied those lessons to my writing (for me it was being accountable to another person). Am slowly starting to actually finish pieces of writing (which is a great feeling). Also, do you know where your book is going? (JK Rowling once said that she always knew how her Harry Potter books were going to end, and she wrote all her books to that ending). Good luck with your book x

Paperbackwriter Tue 27-Aug-19 13:42:32

Just another thing to add - if you can afford both the cash and the time, the Arvon foundation courses are terrific. You'd need to find one that fits with the genre you're writing in but you get intensive tuition and plenty of feed-back. Another writer and I taught a course at the Yorkshire Arvon venue and it was possibly harder work for us than for the students but very worthwhile all round. Most of us are still in touch with each other and the one we considered our absolute star pupil has had a major best-seller this year (not self-published) and sold it worldwide as well.

One word of warning - do NOT be tempted to publish with anyone who asks for a 'contribution' towards costs. That is vanity publishing (as opposed to self-publishing) and is very much to be avoided.

desjumeaux17 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:17:58

There are some brilliant comments and suggestions on here which I will remember and use. Unfortunately not the retreats as I have a husband to assist and a puppy to train.
Many times I feel like giving up, but I think I will continue and see how far I get, particularly now the days are getting cold short and damp. My thoughts are going towards Kindle publishing if and when I get to the end.
My sister sometimes reads my writing and is often a little surprised at my steamy bits but as a very elderly relative once said to me "you cant beat a bit of smut". Thank you for all your comments, now I must go and take half a roll of kitchen paper off my pup who is obviously getting bigger, so the kitchen roll must go higher, and take a cuppa in for hubby.

desjumeaux17 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:19:08

I forgot to say a big thank you for all your comments and support. Thank you xx

DanniRae Sat 05-Oct-19 10:46:50

This is a very interesting thread - I am impressed by the number of writers in our midst.

What a lovely dog desjumeaux smile

GabriellaG54 Tue 08-Oct-19 18:26:39

For 4 years, I wrote speeches for company bosses after one of them saw a piece I wrote on social media and the responses to that piece. He put me in touch with others via LinkedIn. It's a very lucrative business as people often know what they want to say but have little idea as to how to say it for best effect.
Writing books is, IMV, harder work as you need to be in a certain mindframe and have so much more research to do.

GabriellaG54 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:32:27

'Self' publishing is vanity publishing.