Gransnet forums

Chat

Golden Wedding anniversary gift.

(42 Posts)
Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 08:36:52

Our friends will be celebrating their Golden Wedding anniversary next month, and I haven't got the foggiest idea what to get them as a gift.
Any ideas, anyone?

NannyEm Sat 23-Nov-19 08:20:03

I also bought my friends a rose called Golden Wedding or Golden Anniversary as they are both keen gardeners. Their son did the same thing as well.

Marelli Sat 23-Nov-19 05:41:24

Grammarretto - 75 years married? That's amazing. I can't think of anything to give them as a gift, other than taking them for a meal, which you're already doing. Maybe suggest to them that they may like to go for a really nice afternoon tea in a few week's time, once the anniversary excitement has calmed down?

Grammaretto Fri 22-Nov-19 23:23:47

We have a 75th wedding anniversary coming up . It's my parents in law not me!
They've already got dozens of cards but I'm sure they don't want more things. Any suggestions?

We are taking them out for lunch with as many of their descendants as can make it.

I hope you find a nice gift. The rose sounds lovely.

Lilypops Fri 22-Nov-19 23:15:02

We were also given an enamel coloured bird bath , and two Yankee candles to light in the evening when we sat outside , they were both lovely gifts as we do love being in our garden.
Just more ideas for you to think about Marelli , let us know on here what you decided on .

Lilypops Fri 22-Nov-19 23:11:16

Marrelli, I am so glad you liked my suggestion of the Golden Wedding rose for your friends gift , it really is a lovely rose,
When we got ours last year, my daughters had put the rose into a large planter and planted colourful begonias around the rose , they lasted till late Summer, I hope you find one in your local garden centre, am sure your friends will love it , Good luck

Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 22:52:53

Some really original ideas here. I think we may go to the garden centre at the weekend to see if there are any Golden Wedding rose bushes. If no luck I'll go through the list of ideas you've all given me. Thanks so much. ?

cas58 Fri 22-Nov-19 21:30:26

How about a personalised sundial that they put in the garden. Try this place: themetalfoundry.uk

Looking can't hurt. Pretty good stuff and it's traditional sand casting. Solid brass or aluminium.

Friends have one and it works and looks pretty sweet.

annodomini Fri 22-Nov-19 21:27:11

My sister and BiL's golden wedding in June had me scratching my head, but, knowing that their son and DiL were expecting twins within two weeks, I sought and found a gold-edged photograph frame which couldn't have been more appropriate. They were thrilled, and the frames were soon filled. The twins (one of each) are now flourishing!
Another old friend specified 'no gifts' when she sent out invitations to their GW party. I took her aside and asked her quietly if they had a favourite charity to which I could donate.

Lizbethann55 Fri 22-Nov-19 20:46:38

Years ago when it was my in laws golden wedding and my children were quite small as the children's gift we got a cardboard box covered it in gold paper and filled it with all sorts of random bits and bob's which were either yellow or gold in colour or had "gold" in the name. Eg. All Gold chocolates, Gold Blend coffee, some daffodil bulbs, a bottle of yellow coloured shampoo, some gold doilies, a box of yellow tissues ( it was ages ago!). My mum even found some gold matches she had had for decades, a yellow candle. It was great fun looking for stuff and for ages after we kept seeing things that would have been ideal.

rizlett Fri 22-Nov-19 18:31:38

We put together a hamper filled with supermarket goodies that had 'gold' or 'golden' in their names - so golden syrup, gold blend tea, golden grahams cereals etc etc.

Caro57 Fri 22-Nov-19 17:51:48

Tree / shrub with golden / yellow leaves........

chrissyh Fri 22-Nov-19 16:46:25

Doesn't help you, Marelli, I'm afraid, but I am in the process of writing invitations for our golden wedding next year. I have said 'no presents please' but there will be a box if you wish to give a small donation to Alzheimers. I think if you just say 'no presents' some people still feel obliged or want to buy a gift.

Coconut Fri 22-Nov-19 16:31:40

A medal ?

Calendargirl Fri 22-Nov-19 16:01:53

okimherenow

Your presents all sound lovely.

okimherenow Fri 22-Nov-19 15:43:52

Celebrated our 60th in the summer and amongst the lovely gifts we so appreciated were
A painting of our house.. Artist came sketched and produced
Afternoon tea for 2 at a local Warners venue
Garden vouchers
A ready planted pot with Acer center piece
Local theatre tickets x 2
Lutyens Garden bench
Roses by the half dozen including one named with our surname
Picnic basket complete with champagne and plastic glasses etc

All wonderful and much appreciated..
Hope that helps

4allweknow Fri 22-Nov-19 15:24:31

Gave a friend Silver Wedding rose in a pot. Still going strong after 23 years.

mbody Fri 22-Nov-19 15:14:53

John Lewis or M&S vouchers - you can’t go wrong.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:21:07

We gave my husband's sister and brother-in-law a carafe and two wine glasses that had been made the year they married and something to enjoy drinking from the glasses as well.

JackyB Fri 22-Nov-19 14:02:33

I had sweatshirts printed for my parents saying "This shirt was a present from my grandchildren for my Golden Wedding Anniversary"

Apparently they were too big so my Dad wore the one that was meant for Mum and she took in the larger one to fit her. We have photos of them wearing them but am not sure they wore them much really.

Humbertbear Fri 22-Nov-19 13:50:42

We set up a Just giving page and as a result £1000 was donated to our local hospice. Some people gave us champagne and one lovely friend embroidered a personalised sampler

Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 12:26:59

BladeAnnie, that also sounds a lovely idea - bringing back Golden anniversary memories each year.
They got married on Friday 13 December, (but thankfully haven't been dogged by bad luck)!

BladeAnnie Fri 22-Nov-19 12:17:37

When my mum and dad celebrated their golden wedding a number of years ago, I bought a Christmas ornament shaped as a tree made entirely of gold baubles (it was a December anniversary). It was very well received and makes an appearance every year

Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 12:15:09

I do agree with the 'stuff', no doubt given with much love at the time of the anniversary, that has to be moved on due to lack of room in cabinets, etc. In fact, this particular friend had the problem of 'moving on' Silver and Golden anniversary china that came from her in-laws' home. My friend is 80.
She is an animal lover, but he isn't, otherwise a donation in their name to an animal charity would be good.
annsixty, that would've left lovely memories for all the friends involved.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-19 12:13:53

Few ideas on this Golden Wedding anniversary gifts page too. smile

Noni Fri 22-Nov-19 11:59:45

We invited a couple to a meal out, with us. We agreed a date with them and spent a lovely lunch in a special place. They are still talking about it and it was 2 years ago. So enjoyable for us as well as them. And no more "things" that they probably didn't need, just lovely memories.