Gransnet forums

Chat

Stepchildren, family events & ex-wives

(108 Posts)
Emilymaria Thu 23-Jan-20 21:19:42

I met my husband 2 years after he and his first wife separated. We married four years later. He had two children, I had none (sadly, we didn't have a child of our own). We lived 200 miles distant from them, something that was neither his choice nor fault. We spent years flogging up and down the motorway once a fortnight to see the children who vacillated unpredictably in their reactions and feelings towards us. This, I learned, was due to a regular drip of poison from the ex and her family. Poor kids. They were used as meal tickets, weapons, leverage and excuses, but rarely treated simply as children. The ex sat in a well of self-pity for years, as a highly qualified woman, wouldn't even take part-time jobs in her field and wouldn't consider meeting someone else because her ex husband had 'ruined her life'. She lied to the children, cheated over money and didn't let up on demands even when my husband was being treated for cancer. Her reasoning over the last? "Nobody asks me how I am." Eventually, when my mother died, she wanted a lump of my inheritance. After much soul-searching I agreed to turn it over in exchange for full and final settlement (she even lied about that to the children, saying she 'didn't know' it was my inheritance - but we have the solicitors' letters proving, unequivocally, that she did). All this from a 'committed Christian' - her words. My problem is that, ten years later, it still eats away at my soul that I gave a woman, for whom I have nothing but contempt, money that my parents worked for. My husband and his, now, adult children say "Let it go, move on". Easy to say. I would love to. Even so, with all I've done for the kids, time I devoted to them, gifts, advice, shoulder to cry on over 25 years, I was excluded from their graduations and treated as nothing but an ordinary guest at the first wedding. The second one is coming up. I've been told I won't be at the top table. I didn't expect it. But I'm so throughly pee'd off with the whole ghastly saga I feel that I don't want to attend at all and have to put on a brave face, yet again. Not keen on acronyms, so interested only in reactions/advice/commiseration from others who've been there, too. Maybe I won't feel so isolated, angry and guilty for using my parents' hard earned money so wantonly. And I do want to move on, but I don't know how.

Hawera1 Sat 25-Jan-20 01:55:57

I wouldn't have handed my inheritance over to her. It was despicable that she asked but I'm not surprised. I would suggest counselling to help you get rid of your anger over it. It's never easy in the step situation. You need to.be able to talk openly and honestly with your husband.

Hawera1 Sat 25-Jan-20 01:57:07

Just remember this is not your wedding and whats happening is the norm in these situations.

Nannan2 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:52:39

I would not have given her any money in the first place,so it wouldn't be an issue years later,as for his kids,well they sound as bad as their mother! Why would you give her your money? It was your husband who got divorced from her not you,it was up to him to have 'settled it' before you even met him,if he hadnt,then tough titty for her! You need your own inheritance now for your future,pension ,etc old age ! Sorry,i feel for you but you should never have handed her anything and dont understand why your hubby even let you or even entertained the idea- in fact,how did she even know you had it? Cause it was none of her business in the first place. Im divorced,i certainly wouldnt expect any 'new wife' to hand me over any of her own money, years after my divorce,in fact ive never heard of such a thing before!hmm

Madmaggie Sat 25-Jan-20 13:36:32

You did what you felt you had to do at the time. Many of us have been there too and regretted it with the benefit of hindsight. It's hard not to re run these injustices in your mind especially as more continue to arrive. Tell yourself firmly that you are not going to permit it any more, what's done is done, but no more. It's time to put number one first - and that my dear is you! Finding someone to talk to about this is essential, a trusted friend or a counsellor. I wish you well.

annd16 Sun 26-Jan-20 07:43:58

Is your husband on the top table? If so then you should be with him, not sitting alone on another table. If you are separated I would simply not go. What is your husband doing to support you ?

Harri1 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:33:07

What is done is done and what you did was extremely generous.... but the only person that is being harmed by rehashing is you.... go to the wedding looking as glamorous and happy as you can..imagine you are acting a part...even if you are gritting your teeth. People will look and think...ah I can see why he left his wife for her ?

hollysteers Sun 26-Jan-20 23:19:11

There is a saying: “Take the word ‘should’ out of your vocabulary”, which is rather wise. You can’t do anything about the money, but with all your heart and soul, you do not want to be at that wedding, which sounds like something out of the Adams family. Your whole being resonates against it, although you feel you ‘should’ be there. Think of yourself. There comes a time in life when we must do as we wish rather than pleasing others. What a weight off your shoulders if you are not going! Invent something, it’s only one day.
I haven’t seen a very close family member for years, it’s far too toxic and no good would come of it. Yes, it’s like a death, but for the best.
I think you should have a clean break from that side of the family and I wish you a happy future.?