Gransnet forums

Chat

Getting taken short when in the middle of nowhere.

(81 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 22-Jun-20 13:16:44

This is really aimed at the cyclists and walkers who often find themselves miles away from the nearest toilet but it could be useful to anyone because toilets aren't always as clean as we'd like.

Last week we walked to Haworth Waterfall ….beautiful place and well worth a visit if you're in the area. The problem was that it's a mile to the waterfall and a mile back with no toilets anywhere. It's OK for men when they get taken short. All the have to do is find somewhere to have a discreet wee but we can't do that. It's impossible for us to be discreet like the men can. So I looked on the internet for the answer and sure enough there it was. I bought a SheWee (yes it's what it sounds like). You can stand just like a man and it's totally liberating. I really think we women drew the short straw in that department grin. If you walk, cycle or even travel to where there are no or unpleasant toilets then try one. I should add that I'm not advertising SheWee. Other lady aid apparatus are available.

tattygran14 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:03:36

I always referred to my partners campervan as the Mobile Commode.

Evie64 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:47:27

I once had to have a wild wee in Spain years ago. I went behind a large hedge and there was a row of coaches, all dark and no-one in them. Yes, you've guessed it. The coach immediately in front of me, the light came on and it started filling up. The shame! blush

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:07:58

Dear late hubby and I spent many happy holidays cycling round Brittany and Normandy in the beautiful countryside. Lovely - but toilets were few and few between. We dodged behind many a hedge for a wild wee - the edges of some fields were strewn with bits of toilet paper as they obviously provided good cover.

If you risked going somewhere a little more open which seemed to be deserted you could bet your boots a coach load of tourists would pass by as soon as 'you dropped your kecks'.

One trick was to open up a large road map and appear to be studying it while the other did their business at some distance behind the hedge. Sadly, your cover is blown if another cyclist stops by and asks if you're lost.

Stoker48 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:07:45

Coincidentally, I had same conversation with a group of female friends yesterday.
Now lockdown is easing, she was planning trip to see family three hours drive away.
We were debating whether service station loos would be open.
She responded, if it’s a long journey, she takes a receptacle with cat litter in it and uses that.
It’s 60 years since we had a cat so I was bit surprised....
However, apparently there is now a gel type, absorbent, non smelly, cat litter which is very successful in an emergency.

Dancinjay Wed 24-Jun-20 11:16:40

My DH had problems with his bowel for years and so did his mum before him. I eventually gave him an ultimatum to get sorted as it was really affecting our ability to go out even on short 5 min walks. After some investigation it turned out that the cause was Metaformin (sp?) prescribed for his diabetes. after consultation with the GP, he is now off of it and all problems resolved. Might be worth asking if you are in a similar situation.