Gransnet forums

Chat

Getting taken short when in the middle of nowhere.

(81 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 22-Jun-20 13:16:44

This is really aimed at the cyclists and walkers who often find themselves miles away from the nearest toilet but it could be useful to anyone because toilets aren't always as clean as we'd like.

Last week we walked to Haworth Waterfall ….beautiful place and well worth a visit if you're in the area. The problem was that it's a mile to the waterfall and a mile back with no toilets anywhere. It's OK for men when they get taken short. All the have to do is find somewhere to have a discreet wee but we can't do that. It's impossible for us to be discreet like the men can. So I looked on the internet for the answer and sure enough there it was. I bought a SheWee (yes it's what it sounds like). You can stand just like a man and it's totally liberating. I really think we women drew the short straw in that department grin. If you walk, cycle or even travel to where there are no or unpleasant toilets then try one. I should add that I'm not advertising SheWee. Other lady aid apparatus are available.

Dancinjay Wed 24-Jun-20 11:16:40

My DH had problems with his bowel for years and so did his mum before him. I eventually gave him an ultimatum to get sorted as it was really affecting our ability to go out even on short 5 min walks. After some investigation it turned out that the cause was Metaformin (sp?) prescribed for his diabetes. after consultation with the GP, he is now off of it and all problems resolved. Might be worth asking if you are in a similar situation.

Stoker48 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:07:45

Coincidentally, I had same conversation with a group of female friends yesterday.
Now lockdown is easing, she was planning trip to see family three hours drive away.
We were debating whether service station loos would be open.
She responded, if it’s a long journey, she takes a receptacle with cat litter in it and uses that.
It’s 60 years since we had a cat so I was bit surprised....
However, apparently there is now a gel type, absorbent, non smelly, cat litter which is very successful in an emergency.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:07:58

Dear late hubby and I spent many happy holidays cycling round Brittany and Normandy in the beautiful countryside. Lovely - but toilets were few and few between. We dodged behind many a hedge for a wild wee - the edges of some fields were strewn with bits of toilet paper as they obviously provided good cover.

If you risked going somewhere a little more open which seemed to be deserted you could bet your boots a coach load of tourists would pass by as soon as 'you dropped your kecks'.

One trick was to open up a large road map and appear to be studying it while the other did their business at some distance behind the hedge. Sadly, your cover is blown if another cyclist stops by and asks if you're lost.

Evie64 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:47:27

I once had to have a wild wee in Spain years ago. I went behind a large hedge and there was a row of coaches, all dark and no-one in them. Yes, you've guessed it. The coach immediately in front of me, the light came on and it started filling up. The shame! blush

tattygran14 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:03:36

I always referred to my partners campervan as the Mobile Commode.

Bella51 Tue 23-Jun-20 22:51:44

Been there and got the tea shirt. We do walk a lot but thankfully we now live in the country. Thinking of going further afield now we have time so a camper could be on the cards.

Purpledaffodil Tue 23-Jun-20 22:31:30

We won tickets for the Prom at the Palace in the gardens of Buckingham Palace for the Golden Jubilee. A lovely picnic was provided with champagne and there were also tickets for beer and cider.Sadly the organisers had not provided enough temporary toilets. Massive queue built up and it became obvious the concert needed to start. Obliging palace servants held up the ropes so that we could disappear into the shrubbery, ladies one side, gentlemen the other.
We always wondered if that was the reason the next Jubilee celebrations were not held in the palace gardens? ?

bikergran Tue 23-Jun-20 20:38:22

For anyone who uses Imodeum the Instant Melts are great

Dearer but well worth it, don't need water to take them just put on your tongue

GreenGran78 Tue 23-Jun-20 18:02:08

Valels That really made me giggle. It can't have been one of the rolling stones that you perched on! smile

I am strange in that when I am at home I am constantly going to the loo. If I am out, though, I can happily abstain for hours. As soon as I see my front door I am suddenly desperate for a wee. It must be something to do with my brain, I think.

Valels Tue 23-Jun-20 16:55:36

Was caught short when walking in the Yorkshire Dales yesterday. Found a perfectly placed stone wall, with a convenient rock to perch on (squatting isn't possible with arthritic knees). Sat on the rock, oh, the relief!

Much later, at home, went to the loo and realised the seat and bowl had quite a scattering of moss! Goodness knows what had been crawling around in my underwear for the previous 2hours! ??

I'm now definitely considering buying a she-wee!

Flowerette Tue 23-Jun-20 16:20:04

I’m a rambler ( no comments thank you ?)
and I can go most places now ... ?

Rosiebee Tue 23-Jun-20 16:05:29

But what about when you get caught short in town? Since lockdown I've only been straight in and out shopping for food. Couldn't contemplate going for a browse unless I knew there was an available loo nearby.
Daily walks are limited to about half an hour now after an embarrassing incident on a towpath a few years ago. I had to squat, not very successfully behind a bush, when a barge came chugging round the bend. I was mid-stream, as they say, and couldn't move. blushDon't even think I could squat these days.

Greciangirl Tue 23-Jun-20 15:13:24

My late mother in law once told me that she always left her knickers of when going out for a walk, just in case she got caught short and could therefore squat down quickly.
She was rather eccentric.

She was rather eccentric

Kim19 Tue 23-Jun-20 15:03:33

As a youngster when I was caught short my unsympathetic Mum would say 'suck it up and cry'. This was undoubtedly after she had given me all the necessary advice before we left home.

Scottiebear Tue 23-Jun-20 14:41:19

You can buy disposable ladies travel urinals. Got them on Amazon. They solidify the wee. Pack of 3 cost about £7. Bit expensive, but am considering getting them for emergencies. Easy these days to be stuck in traffic jams.

Jillybird Tue 23-Jun-20 14:14:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosina Tue 23-Jun-20 14:12:55

A friend (no - it truly wasn't me!) was desperate to wee when out in the countryside with husband and children, on the way home at night. In a dark lane with no houses around she hopped out of the car and over a wire fence, feeling safe in the pitch black with only a tiny torch to assist when, mid flow, lights came on around her and cars approached - she had invaded the small outside perimiter fence of a major airport. When she relayed this tale to us there were several who could have done with a 'Shewee', so hilarious was the tale.

Rufus2 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:55:11

Try having a wild wee here in Australia. Ticks, snakes & cockroaches live in the wild too!
Tamayra If you're a fair dinkum Sheila, they'd all flee! grin
OoRoo

Kim19 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:48:43

Hope you're all remembering to take a poo bag as well!!!

Witzend Tue 23-Jun-20 13:48:14

I had to find some dense cover recently, when meeting dd and family at a country park - and get dh to stand guard. Added hazards were stinging nettles and brambles.
At such times it’d be useful to be wearing a skirt!

EmilyHarburn Tue 23-Jun-20 13:43:12

I have a she wee and a bottle with a female funnel which works if you cannot let your pee into the wild. I have also taken delivery of a pop up beach tent into which you can sit on a bucket for the other side of things!!! Nice and private like a sentry box. Hope no one knocks on the door if I have to use it. Otherwise it is for sitting in the garden in the rain if I am talking to a friend. I have a fold up chair which fits inside.

felice Tue 23-Jun-20 13:21:45

Nanny27 mine is like a man having a pee, just goes into the nearest bush. I have used them since the Scout incident and had only one soggy shoe.

BBJS Tue 23-Jun-20 12:59:37

the only time a full burka could come in useful is if you are caught short in the country.

Nanny27 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:57:07

I hadn't come across Shewee so I've just had a look on Amazon. OK, looks like a funnel thing with a tube thingy.
Please don't all laugh at me but... Where does the wee go? Do you have to have a container or something?

Ilovedragonflies Tue 23-Jun-20 12:56:53

I'm still laughing at Froglady's comment.