Gransnet forums

Chat

Beware the Amazon Prime Scam !

(39 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 02-Sep-20 13:48:04

I was phoned about an hour ago where I ended up swearing at a caller who said that £79 had been taken from my account for a years subscription to Amazon Prime.
He actually " talked me through " while online, how to reach a section online in which to " cancel " this subscription, which, needless to say I didn't follow.

After a lot of screeching on my behalf, he gave up.

This scam is in the Daily Mail online which I saw after.

LadyStardust Sun 13-Jun-21 20:16:53

I have 2 methods of p****ng them off. I either go into Peggy Ollerenshaw mode, (Hi de Hi) and talk very loudly and sound gormless or ask them if their Mother knows what they do for a living and would she be proud of them? This often hits a nerve with some cultures who have strong (supposedly) family values! They are some of the most despicable people on this planet and my heart goes out to whoever they manage to scam.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 13-Jun-21 19:56:33

Please remember that these calls are NOT coming from Amazon, so don’t bother cancelling your account.
DD2 gets the same calls and she doesn’t even have Amazon.

Jabberwok Sun 13-Jun-21 18:42:52

We've had the same from "Amazon "!! Last week we had the £79.99 phone call, we put the phone down but part of the call went onto our answer phone! I've informed Amazon who assured me it wasn't them, and DH informed Offcom . It is slightly scary particularly like most people, we do buy from Amazon , but don't use Prime.

muse Sat 12-Jun-21 14:35:41

We've had those calls and lots of others. I bought a BT call guardian phone (off Amazon?) £32. It was cheaper than from BT. We had tried the BT filter and were blocking these numbers but the scammers have an endless list of numbers they can use.

The scammers never give a name, which they have to with Call Guardian. Had the phone two months now and not had one scam call smile.

Witzend Sat 12-Jun-21 13:31:52

A few months ago I had a wrong-number call from a very distraught, evidently elderly lady, who’d been told by some scamster that she owed money to Amazon - ring this number or else….

She told me she’d never ordered anything from Amazon, but was evidently frightened enough to ring a number - evidently misdialled - which turned out to be our landline. So at least I was able to reassure her.

It’s scary how easily naive and vulnerable people can evidently be frightened into complying with what these evil people tell them to do.

wildswan16 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:15:11

Lillian nobody is saying that Amazon Prime isn't a very useful service.

This problem has nothing to do with Amazon. These are just criminals who pick on the Amazon Prime service which they guess a lot of people have, then phone them up and try to scam bank details from them.

They also may say they are from your internet provider, or your telephone provider.

geekesse Sat 12-Jun-21 13:10:28

Lilian40 Good on you for learning these new skills and being willing to adapt in these difficult times. It makes such a refreshing change from the many posters to Gransnet who grouse about things but are not willing to even try to use new kinds of technology. I take my hat off to you. ?

Lillian40 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:48:21

I had never used Prime on Amazon until this recent pandemic, I am 81 years old live alone, my family are hundreds of miles away, my friends all had to isolate as did I. I no longer drive and live miles away from any shops. I arranged for a Supermarket delivery each month, also Iceland each month, this took care of my food problem. But then of course there are lots of other items that we need in our lives which Food shops can't supply. I decided to pay Prime with Amazon, I have used it constantly and still do for just about everything I need. I have saved so much money in postage I am over the Moon. The delivery is quick and trustworthy and returns are easy. My iron decided to give up on me, I ordered a new one, it was at my door the next day. In the past 18 months' of not being able to use a bus I have been able to shop just as well and maybe even better, as Amazon doesn't run out of things like shops do. I have even bought a new washing machine and a new fridge freezer from AO.co via Amazon which was delivered the next day. Because all my family are so far away, I was concerned about Birthdays and Xmas cards, I couldn't miss those out. I bought every card I needed from Hallmark via Amazon. I have used my Prime payment many times over, its a great way to save money if you use it enough. I intend to continue my membership. It isn't difficult to cancel if you go into your account, it tells you how to do it easily. I would recommend it any day.

MayBee70 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:32:59

EllanVannin

I'm not kidding but the chap who rang me was so persistent that I hung up and blow me he rang again using a different number ! I was fuming with him. The prefix of the first call was 01113. It was India.

I get a call most mornings from them. Given that I’m not an early riser it doesn’t go down well I’m afraid.

Lillian40 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:29:29

I solved the scamming calls, put my phone permanently on the answer phone. This way I only get to talk to genuine people. Scammers wont leave a message as this would mean they have to pay for the calls. Family, friends, and business callers will always state who they are. I have had so many of these irritating calls from all sorts , so called Banks, Building society, Amazon, also BT saying they are going to disconnect me for not paying my bill, I have everything on direct debit, so know this is rubbish. These people are disgusting and if caught should be sent to prison. But my method works and I don't get anything to worry about. When my phone rings I wait for the answer machine to cut in and once I hear the voice I know if its safe to answer. Scammers only talk to you if you allow it.

FarNorth Sat 05-Dec-20 00:04:38

ElaineI that's when it's quite cruel, rather than just annoying.

A local family were featured in our newspaper, a while ago, as their mother had lost a lot of money to this type of thing, before they realised what was happening.

People want their elderly relatives to have independence, but that leaves them open to these predators.

ElaineI Fri 04-Dec-20 23:45:21

My Mum gets them. She has no technology and never in her life ordered from Amazon. These calls make her very upset. Her phone supplier does not have a filter type system and she resists change for anything.

Eviebeanz Fri 04-Dec-20 19:31:01

Have had the amazon scam calls today one for £79 and one for £39 - asking me to press 1 if... etc
Also had a call from someone saying they were from bt open reach and that they'd noticed that my Internet speed is too slow. They wanted to be given remote access to my computer to fix it. I said if I noticed a problem I'd ring bt myself and just hung up.

Sunlover Fri 04-Dec-20 17:57:41

I was phoned twice this week. Both times I put the phone down. First time said £79 was being taken and second time £39. I checked my Amazon account and the renewal date is in July
Hate scammers. ??

Blinko Fri 04-Dec-20 15:21:18

We believe there can be inside information with some of these. How come that when we left TalkTalk the frequent calls about it stopped.

Guess who was CEO at TalkTalk before she was handed the Test, Track and Trace job? Correct!

LadyGracie Fri 04-Dec-20 15:16:36

I’ve taken to answering the phone, listening but not saying anything, the caller always hangs up pretty promptly.

GillT57 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:49:46

We had the Amazon call at least 3 times a day for around two weeks then it stopped. Now I keep getting calls on my mobile form different numbers with a country code for Italy. I don't answer them so hopefully they will give up eventually.

Callistemon Fri 04-Dec-20 12:44:03

EllanVannin it may be the first call of many. A woman called us about 15 times over three weeks; I just told her to go away (well, to that effect) and put the phone down.

You can buy a call blocker online

fevertree Fri 04-Dec-20 12:33:43

There is no way any money can be taken 'unbeknownst' from my account because Starling Bank app tells me every day what has gone out of my account, a quick and easy way of keeping tabs on spending.

(I'm very pleased with the service from this bank, signed up because I read an article about the founder and was impressed).

Wheniwasyourage Fri 04-Dec-20 12:08:53

Really proud of myself today! Got a call from "Ryan", a possibly unlikely name, given his strong accent, with a rather garbled message about £49.99 having been taken from my Amazon account (or possibly put into my account? confused ) and involving a gift card. He finished by saying "What do you want me to do, Mrs When?" and I had the presence of mind to tell him that I couldn't possibly say as I was not used to using that kind of language on the phone. Surprisingly, he hung up. grin

Georgesgran Thu 10-Sep-20 09:53:12

This week I’ve had calls about my boiler maintenance agreement, washing machine insurance, Amazon taking £79.99, HMRC investigating me for fraud and someone telling me a £600 transaction has been made on my credit card!
Honestly, these people must think we are all stupid? X

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Sep-20 19:20:32

I occasionally get them on my outlook (Sky) email ‘ your emails have been held until....’ never read the rest, just delete. Not missing anything I was expecting. Have reported.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 02-Sep-20 19:13:52

Lexisgranny grin

Lexisgranny Wed 02-Sep-20 19:07:13

I had a supposed call from HMC this week. My husband was watching the news on TV, but as I put the phone down he looked up and asked who it was. I replied that it was someone advising me that I was about to be arrested. He turned back to the television saying”There is a dog on here that has been rescued after swimming half a mile out to sea after a seagull”. I feel he is not taking as much interest as he should in my welfare.

Harris27 Wed 02-Sep-20 18:53:33

Yes just had the HMRC call three times this week so annoying.