Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco stopping letting customers have tray liners

(278 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 05-Apr-21 10:26:54

Tesco has decided to remove the option of having tray liners with online grocery deliveries. So no tray liners in the middle of a pandemic yet with social distance delivery.

I currently opt for tray liners and the delivery driver leaves the trays on the doorstep while I am at an upstairs window and when he or she has gone I go down and get the shopping in, using a number of reusable shopping bags bit by bit so that there is no great weight in each bag. The process takes about 20 minutes and is gentle exercise and I do not rush and as I am retired there is no need to bother about how long it takes. I get my food deliveries so I am content.

I am wondering just how this is going to work when there are no tray liners.

Is there anyone out there who is currently not opting for tray liners who can say what they do for delivery please?

Are there people out there who are currently opting for tray liners who are also now wondering how to cope with this change while the pandemic is still active?

ExD Fri 09-Apr-21 14:24:02

I get the driver to bring the boxes into the garage where I have a washing machine and sink - he puts them on the counter top.
I just use the hessian bags you buy from the supermarkets - I give a couple to the driver, and one to myself and we unpack the shopping together, both wear masks.
Its not difficult to stay 6ft apart.
I've always done it like that - no discussions, we just get on with it, it takes no time at all. I vary my supermarket deliveries too - one week Iceland (free deliveries and all bagged up) one week Asda, one week Tesco.
When he's gone I wash my hands and start putting things away in the house, or if I'm feeling fragile I just put the fridge and freezer stuff away, wash my hands (again) and leave the rest till tomorrow.
If I didn't have a suitable garage I'd have to unpack on the floor which is difficult for many of us.
Funnily enough I have never had liners from Tesco and didn't know what you were talking about at first. sad but do please keep posting, you have certainly livened things up a bit!

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:34:28

Tesco are liars then.or frauds.or mean.??personally i do sanitise my shopping also.Thats My choice..and if that WAS a mouse dropping on side of Tesco's tray liner, maybe its just as well i do.!?

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:52:23

Kittylester- stop looking down on those who DO wish to use the bags.I'm well aware 'were supposed to ' use less plastic- as i said maybe supermarkets could introduce biodegradable ones maybe? But i would not chuck my bags in rivers or the sea, or anywhere they can harm the earth or worlds resources, i do reuse or recycle them where possible, and i recycle/donate everything i can (i even rang our council to say i think theres loads more we could recycle, but they said we can't as recycling plant don't take some of them! ??)or choose sensibly when i have to buy 'new' things..just because id like my foodstuffs in a bag doesnt mean im a devil of the earth...it felt implied....??

Lisagran Fri 09-Apr-21 14:57:48

I expect you’ll feel safer once you’ve had both your vaccine jabs, ElderlyPerson. Have you had both yet, or just your first one?

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:58:38

FC- ive been reading the thread-& some seemed to be happily transferring/lifting/carrying shopping, whom i presume are fit enough, but not remembering some of us cannot- and yes i know some did say they considered us- but not all seemed to care.is that ok now?

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:00:29

Its not all just about covid, its about the ability aslo, to lift& transfer/carry shopping separately, over& over,without a bag.

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 15:00:30

Give it a few weeks, and lets see what Tesco& Sainsburys come up with when the other shops still using bags get all the custom....

Morrisons are stopping the use of plastic bags altogether.
smile

Morrisons has become the UK’s first supermarket to completely ban plastic bags in all stores.
8/4/21

Excellent news

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:01:40

*also- not aslo- typo.?

ExD Fri 09-Apr-21 15:01:56

Nannan I have a huge collection of Iceland bags (all their shopping comes in bags) they are really strong ones and seem to last for ever.
I've tried to follow re-cycle ideas such as 'knitting' a tote bag with strips of supermarket bags - but they're all a bit naff.

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:03:45

NOT excellent for us all.you're just not getting it! I give up.?

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:06:16

It wasn't the 'naff' ones i meant, but at least you're trying.... i do like the Iceland ones they are truly worth they're money..

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Apr-21 15:06:32

Nannan2

Calm down.
Of course we get it. I'm 'only' 49 and I have to boycott shops that don't use bags because I need bags too.

Morrison's will be using paper bags instead.smile

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:07:52

**meant you are not getting it.sorry.

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:10:25

And sorry to you, as you probably do understand then.yes, im 'only' 57 but osteoarthritis in all my joints now..even wrists...?

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 15:10:48

Nannan2

I have got it.
I got it ages ago as did so many.

I've been using my own bags for many years. You can buy them, it's not necessary to make your own.

But then, it's so easy for me, being a healthy 6ft Amazonian woman with no twinges of arthritis anywhere despite my great age.

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:13:02

Thing is paper ones will only work if they are packed correctly, sensibly- not too full, or all heavy goods not together etc. Or they'll burst.

JaneJudge Fri 09-Apr-21 15:14:39

My milkman puts all my shopping apart from my milk and juice bottles inside a paper bag. They are compostable apparently. I tend to fill them with other recycling for the recycling bin instead of using a plastic liner. Isn't that riveting

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 15:17:23

That has certainly made my day, JaneJudge ???

Nannan2 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:21:54

I Have used my own bags for years, but thats in pre covid days when i went to go do a shop- now if i stand on doorstep its still a (painful) trouble to re-pack them all from one place to another, then still do it all again once they're inside to wipe/ put away etc. instead of just whisk them into house in bags then take care of them at my own pace.?Never mind.I'm going to just use shops who use bags still, like all of us who agreed we will be doing so..And ill reuse/recycle them.?

Skye17 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:28:41

Elderly Person I’m glad you posted here and found some help. Anxiety is no fun.

As others have said, men are welcome here. Do feel free to post or comment on Gransnet.

kittylester Fri 09-Apr-21 15:59:44

Reusing and recycling plastic bags does not stop them ending up in the rivers and oceans. Have you not seen the amounts of micro plastics there are in the oceans

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 16:38:20

We send the plastic off to our LAs in the belief it will be recycled and it then gets sent to Third World Countries who get paid, only to find they cannot cope with it and it gets dumped.

We need to open our eyes, be aware.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/12/loophole-will-let-uk-continue-to-ship-plastic-waste-to-poorer-countries

However, if you're relaxed about that, then carry on asking for plastic bags, liners etc instead of seeking alternatives.

Doodledog Fri 09-Apr-21 17:06:35

I agree that alternatives need to be found, but I can't help thinking that it should be the responsibility of the people withdrawing the facility of the bags to find it.

Customers don't have the purchasing power or access to suppliers, or any other way of making our own alternatives. Even something like metal boxes inside of the trays with the goods separated into categories inside of them would be a help. We could then lift the smaller boxes (ideally by long handles) from the trays and carry them to the kitchen to empty, then return them to the driver before he or she leaves.

I don't know - something should be sorted out, and it really should have happened before they stopped the option of bags.

ElderlyPerson Sun 25-Jul-21 00:19:09

THREE AND A HALF MONTHS LATER

The situation has worked out fine for me.

Although the facility has never been mentioned in circulated emails from Tesco head office then or later, I put boxes on the front doorstep, labelled so that, for example, shower gel is not mixed in with my food, put a note in the delivery requests/instructions, stay upstairs until the delivery driver has gone, leave it a few minutes, then go and get the shopping into the house.

In many ways easier now as I can on a cold day, as we had in May, I can drag the boxes into the hall, then shut the door and sort it out in the warm rather than keep opening the door as I did in the tray liner era.

Most of the drivers telephone me to say that he or she has arrived and to discuss substitutions, or that the shopping is now in the boxes and ready for me. Various drivers arrive, all put the shopping in the boxes, a couple don't telephone, one waits until he sees me acknowledge through the upstairs window, one just thumps the door loudly and goes!

One told me that quite a few customers do similarly, various solutions using trays, boxes and tea trollies.

It seems that many people just were not going to go along with the door opening that Tesco was suggesting would be the practice.

On a round, I am told that a driver typically has three types of delivery, into the dwelling for some people elderly and/or with a disability; driver stacks boxes on the doorstep and then steps away and customer unloads "we usually give them more than two metres though"; receptacles on the doorstep and the driver puts the grocery in the receptacles.

Although nobody has said, I think that the delivery driver putting the shopping in boxes is a far quicker delivery than delivery would be with the driver stood waiting for me to unload (though I am not going to do that).

I feel that Tesco head office could have handled this much better and avoided causing people anxiety, but I look at it as that "Tesco head office" is just people going to work. Yet Tesco head office did act well in 2020 by sharing out delivery slots and food supplies.

In the event, local people, the people actually doing the delivery have been very good and considerate.

I have optimised the system as best I can. For example I get Alpro soya desserts 4-packs six at a time when I get them and ask for the box if possible please, then the driver just has to pick up the box of six rather than some other number one at a time.

I still do all my precautions as before, whether it is excessive or not I don't know. The fact though is that at least up to now I have not, as far as I know, caught COVID-19.

So, having now having been doing the precautions for over sixteen months and they are now routine, I am wondering on what basis would I reduce them. Not that I have any desire to reduce them, they are just a regular part of how I live now, just as preparing and eating meals and so on is part of everyday living.

ElderlyPerson Sun 25-Jul-21 00:27:21

It seems that I need to post again so as to get this thread back into the active discussions list. I hope this gets it done.