Gransnet forums

Chat

The HEAT...in UK

(179 Posts)
Bea65 Sat 17-Jul-21 17:28:35

Shouldn't be moaning as its Summer but even in shade i can't tolerate it...used to be a sun worshipper in the 70s now i hide in cool house☀️

welbeck Sat 17-Jul-21 17:31:47

best thing to do.
take sips to drink throughout.
easy to neglect and then have headache etc.

AGAA4 Sat 17-Jul-21 17:33:35

Me too. I had a walk early this morning but it was too hot for walking even then. Stayed inside since then.

LadyStardust Sat 17-Jul-21 17:37:09

I've been indoors all day! Apart from walking the dog very early this morning. The doors and windows are closed, I never have them closed normally, but in this heat I think its helpful.
I'm just about coping by drinking a large glass of very cold dry white wine, with an icepack on the back of my neck! I wonder why some of us become so intolerant to heat as we get older? I'm waiting for the sun to go down before I embark on another dog walk! Oh and I've showered twice already today, with another one before bed probably. Bed......not looking forward to that one bit!

25Avalon Sat 17-Jul-21 17:40:43

Bea65 what do you mean hide in a cool house? It’s in the 80’s in mine! Even with a fan on. The dog is spreadeagled on the floor.

muse Sat 17-Jul-21 17:46:18

Cornwall.
Enjoyed my walk with Mya (dog) mid morning through the trees. She had a good paddle and drink from the stream.

I read of people enjoying the breeze on the beaches. ?. Just hope they realise how vicious the sun is even with that breeze.

I’ve spent the rest of the day in the shade apart from a very quick shopping trip. AC was lovely.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Jul-21 17:47:29

Blimey we get about one week a year but still the complaints roll in

LadyStardust Sat 17-Jul-21 17:52:05

I don't think we were complaining as such! Just saying that we can't tolerate it like we once did! Besides, isn't that what us Brits to! Discuss the weather at length at all times! grin grin grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Jul-21 17:56:46

I know we shouldn’t wish it away, but it’s difficult for those of us who don’t tolerate heat well. I’ve stayed in most of today, and it is cooler indoors than out. But I’ve a lot of work to do as we’re having visitors next week and it’s been hard going. I promise not to complain when the temperature dips again - it’ll suit me just fine. smile

MoorlandMooner Sat 17-Jul-21 17:58:08

My neighbour is South African and lived in the tropics for 20 years. Even she was complaining about the heat this morning.

SueDonim Sat 17-Jul-21 18:01:04

It’s been 29deg here in NE Scotland, almost unheard of! I’m not a sunworshipper so I’m amazed at myself for not having complained about being too hot. Yet. grin

There have been local reports of dogs getting their paws burnt by being walked on overheated pavements - poor things. sad They’re saying to just walk dogs early morning and late evening because no dog ever died of not having a walk in the sun but plenty have died of overheating. ?

Kali2 Sat 17-Jul-21 18:02:17

Honestly? It's been on day !

welbeck Sat 17-Jul-21 18:04:03

72 degrees is about my comfortable limit.
it's well above that, even with all curtains and windows closed, and likely to be hotter tomorrow.
i am a temperate creature.
baby wipes are useful, for cooling the brow, inner wrists, temples etc; sometimes doze with one on forehead.

travelsafar Sat 17-Jul-21 18:04:56

I have just hung a sheet on the washing line to cast a shadow on my Hydrangea bush as it was wilting. Also had to rig up a shade for my wallflower plants that i am growing to put in the garden in the autumn. As for me, i tried working in the shady area of the garden but even that too hot after a while so back indoors in the cool. We are never happy are we!!!!!!

Teacheranne Sat 17-Jul-21 18:21:34

I love it! It’s so nice to see the sun shining with blue skies after so much rain recently here in the NW. I get quite cross when the news focuses on a heat wave in the south when it’s much cooler near me!

I got up late as had no commitments today, sat on my patio this afternoon under the awning with my crochet listening to an audio book. Now I’ve just put a chicken in the oven and am having a rest on my bed - don’t want to do too much after all! I’ll eat a chicken salad later after I’ve watered my patio pots once the sun goes off them.

I hope this good weather lasts for weeks rather than just a few days. I am lucky though in that I live in a bungalow with a steep sloping roof so don’t get much direct sun and it remains fairly cool, I might pop my fan on for a while if I get hot clearing up the kitchen but I just take things easy, don’t do too much and enjoy the sun.

Blossoming Sat 17-Jul-21 18:21:57

I have washed and linedried towels, t shirts, shorts, jeggings and anything else that didn’t run away fast enough ?. I’m loving the sunshine but feeling a bit queasy now. Iced water to sip is on hand.

maddyone Sat 17-Jul-21 18:25:00

I’m enjoying the sunshine. I’m on holiday in Somerset, and the views across the countryside from the holiday home are lovely. They wouldn’t be so appealing in the rain. We’re off to have dinner shortly, at a rather nice pub we found.

maddyone Sat 17-Jul-21 18:26:15

If I was at home I’d be doing the same as you Blossoming, that is washing and line drying everything that isn’t nailed down.

Bea65 Sat 17-Jul-21 18:28:17

I put a throw out on line still have old but lengthy washing line which is great - the throw creates shade on my Hydrangea which is also wilting .. think i will be out watering at Midnight!?

3dognight Sat 17-Jul-21 18:35:01

It’s a good day to wash all the dog beds, and peg with many pegs on the line.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Jul-21 18:35:35

TeacherAnne hooray I too love it we have about 350 days cold wet grey days which we have to put up with and we get a couple of great days and here comes the groaning thread I could understand it if it went on for weeks and weeks but it’s been cold, grey, windy and rainy most of the summer I can’t believe people are starting a thread after one day

Millie22 Sat 17-Jul-21 18:51:38

I'm sitting in my garden and it's lovely. Just the bees and some children a few doors away splashing in a pool. Shall probably water all my plants later on.

Bridie22 Sat 17-Jul-21 18:53:45

I'm with you bluebelle, long may it shine, its lovely to be warm and dry at last?????

tanith Sat 17-Jul-21 18:58:37

I'm loving it too, I've plenty of shade if i want it and I'm actually not feeling that hot today. Long may it continue.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Jul-21 18:59:44

Love the sun and heat, have been on my sun lounger bliss!

Just had a nice shower to wash off sun protection, now going to eat outside with a cold glass of wine.