Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do some people inform an adult person who is tall of the fact that he or she is tall?

(319 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 11:50:22

Why do some people inform an adult person who is tall of the fact that he or she is tall? The person already knows of this fact.

thetallsociety.com/when-comments-go-too-far/

Namsnanny Fri 10-Sep-21 11:54:26

Usually because they like the sound of their voice.

Grandma70s Fri 10-Sep-21 11:58:21

It’s basically envy and admiration. People don’t say “Aren’t you small!” because that is seen as an insult.

NotSpaghetti Fri 10-Sep-21 11:59:00

Nice to see you back Elderly

jaylucy Fri 10-Sep-21 12:00:42

Don't worry, they do the same for short people, maybe not in the "Gosh you're tall" way, but often by snide little comments about not being able to reach things or feet not touching the floor!

baubles Fri 10-Sep-21 12:00:56

Who knows? My son is 6’6, since he was a toddler people have felt the need to comment on his height. Substitute ‘fat’, ‘thin’ or ‘short’ for ‘tall’ and it soon becomes apparent how rude and personal it is.

It was difficult enough for him being head and shoulders above his peers without it being constantly pointed out.

Grandmajean Fri 10-Sep-21 12:01:12

Happens the other way too ! I get "Aren't you tiny" I have known that since I was at Primary School. It has its advantages and disadvantages . The most embarrassing one was being offered half price at the cinema when I was with my now husband , then fiance . He is 18 months younger than I !!hmm

Georgesgran Fri 10-Sep-21 12:03:43

Well said baubles. Imagine the scene if you went up to a complete stranger and said ‘my. aren’t you fat!’

Katek Fri 10-Sep-21 12:06:03

Oh they do say it to small people! At just 5’ I can vouch for that.

Blossoming Fri 10-Sep-21 12:11:02

Grandma70s

It’s basically envy and admiration. People don’t say “Aren’t you small!” because that is seen as an insult.

Actually, they do.

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Sep-21 12:18:16

Had it for years, at school it was ‘what’s the weather like up there’ I rose above it…metaphorically speaking!

YorkLady Fri 10-Sep-21 12:21:55

Jaxjacky

Had it for years, at school it was ‘what’s the weather like up there’ I rose above it…metaphorically speaking!

Add also, “ have you considered being a model?” And “do you play netball/basketball?”

Grandma70s Fri 10-Sep-21 12:25:52

Blossoming

Grandma70s

Actually, they do.

I didn’t realise that. Everybody in my family is tall, so I suppose I don’t have the experience to comment about what’s said to short/small people.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 12:25:53

Are you a member of The Tall Society EP?
I’ve already welcomed you back on another thread, but will do so again here smile

rockgran Fri 10-Sep-21 12:27:46

I'm only 5ft tall (possible just under). Yes people do comment on it but it has never bothered me. If I'm standing next to a very tall person even I can see the funny side!

ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 12:27:57

jaylucy

Don't worry, they do the same for short people, maybe not in the "Gosh you're tall" way, but often by snide little comments about not being able to reach things or feet not touching the floor!

Oh, tall people get comments of that sort too.

There are quite a number of unoriginal much-used cliché comments that get made.

There is also stereotyping of various kinds. Such as considering tall people to be aggressive, treated as if they despise shorter people, assuming them to have leadership qualities, assuming that they are trying to be the leader and need countering, assuming that they are not 'us' by being referred to in the media as if they are 'others'.

I was delighted when I saw a television news item on a topic and they went live to the lobby of parliament and there were three MPs being interviewed and one was very much taller than the others and nobody brought that off-topic fact into the interview.

In fact tall people and short people often are more alike than many average height people assume, because of common problems because of the way things are. Sometimes the same problem, like getting clothes, sometimes other problems that could be fixed but are not - for example, one man, who happened to be short, said he got lost on the concourse of a main railway station because the place was crowded and he could not know which way to go to reach the exit: that problem could easily be solved if such places had amongst the floor tiles tiles that had a green arrow printed on them, so that by looking down someone could know which way to go.

Marginalised by the mainstream.

ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 12:31:18

Jaxjacky

The answer 'clear and bright' doesn't always go down well!

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 12:35:43

I don’t actually think that tall people are ‘marginalised by the mainstream’ at all EP. That’s a tad over the top.

ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 12:38:38

rockgran

I'm only 5ft tall (possible just under). Yes people do comment on it but it has never bothered me. If I'm standing next to a very tall person even I can see the funny side!

But why is it funny? Two human beings stood next to each other.

Did anyone comment about seeing the long and the short of it, as if they thought they were being original? smile

Shelbel Fri 10-Sep-21 12:42:02

My younger son is tall and when he was a child I was asked if he slept in a grow bag. Just shrugged it off. Was hard to get trousers long enough for him though.

ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 12:44:14

FannyCornforth

I don’t actually think that tall people are ‘marginalised by the mainstream’ at all EP. That’s a tad over the top.

Ooh, we've got these nice custom sweaters with the society logo on. Sizes S. M, L, X, XXL.

But how long are they?

The chest sizes are as follows ...

----

We have tall versions of our jackets, they are one inch longer.

----

It will need to be made to measure ...

ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 12:47:28

Shelbel

My younger son is tall and when he was a child I was asked if he slept in a grow bag. Just shrugged it off. Was hard to get trousers long enough for him though.

Ooh people are expected to shrug off, that is part of the marginalization.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 12:49:27

No. I’m definitely not having the ‘marginalised’ business! smile

Grandma70s Fri 10-Sep-21 12:58:35

FannyCornforth

It is. I have a nephew who is 6’ 7” (that is tall!) and he is certainly not marginalised.

PinkCakes Fri 10-Sep-21 12:58:58

No idea, but it's the same when people remark that I'm short (5ft 1). As if I didn't know..........