Gransnet forums

Chat

Who knows about cars?

(17 Posts)
Leonora2 Fri 15-Jul-22 10:53:37

My beloved Audi A3 convertible has had the dreaded timing chain go on me this week. My quote is a ball park figure of £3,000 shock for an engine rebuild. I'm gutted!! There was no warning light, no banging, no vibrating nothing at all to tell me it was about to go. I parked it last Friday, went to drive it Saturday but there was no power. Mechanic thinks I might get £1000 spares or repair, a week ago it would have been worth about £6000. Before this the car never missed a beat, it has been the best car I've had in 30 years of driving. I really don't know what to do. Heart v head-the car has sentimental value as I bought it 4 years ago with money left me by my mum. Head says time to cut your losses but this means virtually starting from scratch. I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have an opinion? I'm guessing there's not a lot of mechanics on this forum but you never know sad

JaneJudge Fri 15-Jul-22 10:57:02

I spent the money on my car this year rather than buy a new to me one. I think it is up to you. I suppose if you spend the 3k, it will be worth 6k to sell on?

RichmondPark Fri 15-Jul-22 11:02:08

To buy a new/new to you car will cost more than £3,000 so if you love this one and it's otherwise running well then repairing it might be worth doing.

Chestnut Fri 15-Jul-22 11:16:16

I used to be sentimental about cars but having parted with them you get over it. Have you considered car leasing or this new system of a car subscription. It's worth looking into as you will have a brand new car!
Car Subscription

Chestnut Fri 15-Jul-22 11:21:14

Oh sorry, it seems the car subscription they are talking about in the article is no longer! Still, there is always car leasing but you'd have to do some research. It might be better than buying a car.

MaizieD Fri 15-Jul-22 11:28:28

I'd get it repaired.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 15-Jul-22 11:54:30

If you’ve looked after the car and uts the only thing wrong with it I would repair it.

If it has other problems waiting to be repaired as well, then get rid.

Have you had a second opinion or quote for the work?

LauraNorderr Fri 15-Jul-22 12:01:37

If it’s otherwise mechanically sound and the bodywork reasonable then it makes sense to spend the 3k on a repair. You can then either enjoy your car a while longer or sell on for at least 4 or 5 if not the full 6k.
Good luck ?

Jaxjacky Fri 15-Jul-22 12:06:48

I hope you’ve got more than one quote Leonora2 a quick Google, not the best way I know, shows much cheaper prices.

Macadia Fri 22-Jul-22 05:05:54

Timing belt or timing chain replacement is inevitable as the mileage gets up there. Repair cost sounds reasonable as it is a big job. Replace the water pump at same time. Replacing the car would be too costly. Make sure they guarantee their work.

Joseanne Fri 22-Jul-22 07:22:35

My DH's theory is that if you buy an expensive make of car in the first place, then you have to expect that the repairs will be expensive too!
I would say to keep it if you like it and it has sentimental value. It will give you more pleasure.

Redhead56 Fri 22-Jul-22 08:33:18

It’s depends on it’s age and availability of parts required. I would make enquiries from Audi parts supplier and more than one quote for the actual work to be done. Do not rely on one quote especially for a specific car repair.

Sago Fri 22-Jul-22 09:15:01

Get a second opinion.

MayBee70 Fri 22-Jul-22 09:21:42

I read that the price of second hand cars has gone through the roof recently so while I’d usually say replace ( I’ve spent fortunes on cars when I should have got rid of them )the situation has changed.

PollyDolly Fri 22-Jul-22 09:23:09

It has always been my understanding that the timing belt on a car engine is changed at a certain mileage/age of the car; normally, the service mechanics would advise this.

Of course, this doesn't help you but perhaps others might benefit.

Personally, if you are fond of the car, then pay the price to get it fixed and continue to enjoy driving something familiar to you, or sell it and recoup as much as possible.

muse Fri 22-Jul-22 09:43:18

I’d definitely get a couple more quotes and a second opinion about the engine damage. If the belt snapped the engine would have been damaged.

You like the car and it’s been reliable but if you get it repaired but get a good warranty on the new engine.

If you have it serviced regularly, the garage should have checked the mileage and done the timing as it became due.

Katie59 Fri 22-Jul-22 10:15:59

An engine rebuild will cost £3000 maybe more, it depends how much damage has been caused and how old the car is. It’s worth maybe £2000 as it is, the engineer is giving you an “estimate” not a quotation so beware extra costs.

Quite probably fitting a S/H engine will be a cheaper solution because labour costs will be less, if it’s a petrol engine it will be cheaper than a diesel.

Best bet if it’s over 10yrs old fit a S/H engine, with a new cam belt.