Gransnet forums

Chat

Presents for Hairdressers?

(128 Posts)
Candelle Wed 22-Nov-17 12:10:54

Could I please ask what the form is with regard to Christmas presents for one's hairdresser?

What do other GN-ers do? How much do you spend/what do you give (if you give).

I can imagine a hairdresser being given umpteen boxes of chocolates or pot plants, so other ideas welcome. Or, perhaps you give a gift in monetary value.

If you are a hairdresser, even better, as your views would be very helpful.

I am having a pre-Christmas cut soon so ideas and information would be very welcome!

tanith Wed 22-Nov-17 12:22:22

I have never even thought about buying her a Christmas present she gets her usual tip .

pensionpat Wed 22-Nov-17 13:02:36

I give my hairdresser a bottle of wine. Before Christmas she gives me, for my charity stall, the toiletries etc that she'd been given the year before.

NonnaW Wed 22-Nov-17 13:04:35

I don’t.

Lazigirl Wed 22-Nov-17 13:05:57

My hairdresser costs £50 for cut and blow dry so I can't afford present.

nanaK54 Wed 22-Nov-17 13:16:25

I don't, although I have often thought about it........

Auntieflo Wed 22-Nov-17 13:21:19

My hairdresser comes to the house, so it is a bottle of wine.

Alima Wed 22-Nov-17 13:40:35

Travel book, say Lonely Planet so you can discuss holidays?

Friday Wed 22-Nov-17 13:50:25

Just went yesterday and did wonder but just left her normal tip. Now the dog groomer comes to the house and she gets a bottle of wine, a panettone and an extra large tip.

Must be my priorities right (and introduce dogs into yet another thread)
?

Humbertbear Wed 22-Nov-17 13:53:32

Usually give extra large tip. Can’t be bothered with presents. I think they’d sooner have money.

Mapleleaf Wed 22-Nov-17 13:55:55

No.

PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Nov-17 13:56:36

I’m a beauty therapist and have no expections of anyone buying me a present at Christmas.
That doesn’t stop some of my clients though and I do appreciate that they have thought about me.
Anything that is disposable- wine, bath or shower gel and chocs. I don’t generally buy them for myself (I mean the chocs) and can share them if I feel so inclined. One of my clients always buys me a small box of really nice ones, those I don’t share!
Those groups of plants are quite nice, I always get one and I give it to my cleaner for her mum. She loves them.
I cannibalise them and grow them separately after Christmas and so I’ve still got separate plants all over the place. A girl can have just enough and I don’t seem to be able to let them die!
But seriously now - a case of the best champagne, an all expenses trip to Bali! I could go on?

jacq10 Wed 22-Nov-17 14:03:00

Since, over the last few years, I always pay by card I don't give a tip but I do give her a Boots Voucher in with her Christmas card and I base the value on what I would be giving her over the year in tips.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Nov-17 14:24:22

I don’t give a Christmas present or a big tip to my hairdresser My cut and blow dry is £21 that’s well enough for fifteen to twenty minutes work Neither do I give a Christmas present to any shop assistants who serves me regularly nor the bus driver who takes me into town why would I give my hairdresser one I don’t give my doctor one?
As posted above by Pamela the beauty therapist she gives a lot of her presents away even to the cleaner for her Mum sonny would I give a present that may just be fudged on to someone else
I m a very generous person but I believe tipping or giving to some and not all is all wrong there should be no some do some don’t situation either all people who serve you or none at all

Norah Wed 22-Nov-17 14:57:49

I give those who do service work, for us, through the year, Large tips at Christmas. Hairdresser £75.

SueDonim Wed 22-Nov-17 15:06:14

If it's very close to Xmas (within two weeks) I might give her a more-generous-than-usual tip but I couldn't possibly afford £75.

annsixty Wed 22-Nov-17 15:07:19

My home hairdresser won't take any extra than the actual cost of my cut and blow so I double it at Christmas.
I do the same for my cleaner, twice her usual charge.

Alima Wed 22-Nov-17 15:17:14

Excuse me Norah, do you have any vacancies?

BlueBelle Wed 22-Nov-17 16:06:03

£75 tip for the hairdressers ? You must be rolling in it I hope you don’t have a personal trainer, a nail person, and a beautician
Do you give your doctor dentist and the nurse at your surgery generous presents too I m generous to my family my friends my charities and anyone in real need but someone already earning a decent wage ( my hairdresser has a BMW with personalised number plate ) why would I ? I really like my hairdresser who I ve had for twenty odd years but I d rather give to the homeless man out on the streets or the family fallen on bad times than someone who se already well off and is just doing her job

ginny Wed 22-Nov-17 16:30:49

£75.00 !!!!
No gifts or tips to any of them unless they have gone over and above the call of duty. Smile, Merry Christmas just like I got for doing my job.

Baggs Wed 22-Nov-17 16:38:19

Christmas gift giving has gone mad.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Nov-17 16:47:59

I just tip as normal and put £5 inside a card. I used to give a little gift, but after she had children I thought she'd prefer cash. She's been my hairdresser for over 15 years and I know her quite well as we're often in the salon on our own.

Christinefrance Wed 22-Nov-17 17:13:55

I agree totally with ginny & BlueBelle why do people feel its necessary to tip or give gifts to some workers and not others. Bah humbug ☺

Tegan2 Wed 22-Nov-17 17:21:26

I don't give mine a Christmas present as she is far richer than I am, but I always give her a small tip as her charges are quite low. I do plan to tip the dustmen; the S.O. always does and they are very accommodating when it comes to taking away perhaps more than usual; to be fair they're amazingly good anyway even without a tip. I always used to tip the wonderful post people we had for years; one even knew the hours that I worked and used to bring any small parcels to me, but they were moved away and don't have a regular one now sad.

Norah Wed 22-Nov-17 18:50:33

It's one month cost. I think it's fair. She works hard as a single mum.