Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Nice

(12 Posts)
greenmossgiel Sat 23-Jul-11 15:45:31

Ok with me, jangly smile

mrshat Sat 23-Jul-11 15:42:49

I think 'text speak' is creeping into general daily usage - e.g. 'soz'. Trouble is you get so used to these 'words' that when you need to 'find' a decent, correct one, it becomes almost impossible! confused

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 15:32:44

It was a perfectly sensible answer to greenmosgiel

Elegran Sat 23-Jul-11 15:30:48

Jangly you are supposed to make sense. Doubledutch does not count. What was your I like soz post about?

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 15:16:46

When I was at school out English teacher used to stand with her back to the stove- with her skirt hitched up!

I posted this once. it disappeared.

glassortwo Sat 23-Jul-11 15:14:54

As I said on another thread I am not very good at English since Miss Wright did not teach English.

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 15:11:43

I like soz. Google the other ones.

don't mean to be rude. Am on a mission.

greenmossgiel Sat 23-Jul-11 14:59:37

At school, we weren't allowed to use 'nice' either - even in the latter days of primary school. Now I really don't mind - it's a 'mild' word which can describe something if you don't want to go too deeply into it!! Can't be doing with 'awesome' fab, etc (we did use that in the 60's though and it was ok then!) What's all this with 'soz' instead of 'sorry' and OMG (oh how I cannot stand that one!)

yogagran Sat 23-Jul-11 14:50:13

You're right jangly my English teacher, and my the one who taught my daughter too, both banned the "nice" word. I think that's where my aversion to it started

absentgrana Sat 23-Jul-11 14:36:24

Nice is the perfect example of how the meanings of words change in the English language. At different times it has meant ignorant, wanton, rare, reserved and subtle. Nowadays, of course, it is just a bland term to describe anything faintly pleasing or satisfying. A similar change is happening rather faster to other words such as awesome, great, fabulous and many more, which nowadays tend to be used to describe anything faintly pleasing or satisfying too.

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 13:33:22

When I was at school our English teacher told us we should never use the word 'nice'.

I must admit I do use it. Its so useful.

yogagran Sat 23-Jul-11 11:00:29

How I hate that word - just what does it mean, to me it shows that I can't be bothered to think of a more appropriate adjective. Anyone have alternative suggestions and also, what other words really annoy you