Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

The meanings of words

(15 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 05-Jul-16 20:06:41

Yesterday DD and I met at John Lewis for coffee. I had one of those "free coffee and a cake" vouchers so being ?? we agreed to share the cake and I got the coffees.
The voucher said it "entitled" me to "a regular hot drink and a cake" unti 31 July, so I expected to get it back again so that I could use it "regularly".
Oh no. "Regular" is a size not an indication of frequency blush
How we laughed at the old dear's naïvety !!

(Grrr. I still feel hard done by )

tanith Tue 05-Jul-16 20:12:52

grin

Jalima Tue 05-Jul-16 20:13:28

Regular as a size varies too from coffee shop to coffee shop!

A friend ordered a 'large coffee' at one of those chains (I forget which). It came in what looked like a soup bowl with two handles!

Regular sounds very American - as he he is a regular guy

Jalima Tue 05-Jul-16 20:13:52

as in ?

rosesarered Tue 05-Jul-16 20:20:44

Heehee Daphne did they think you were 'trying it on' ( another phrase with two meanings.)

DaphneBroon Tue 05-Jul-16 20:25:34

"Trying it on" in John Lewis? shock
Remember when (if anybody is old enough) you couldn't try things on in Markies? That was the start of their guaranteed returns policy I expect.
But to answer your question Rosesarered, no, it wasn't my colour smile

rosesarered Tue 05-Jul-16 20:32:08

Too beige? smile

Jalima Tue 05-Jul-16 20:32:44

Just think what a cake a day could do to your figure by 31st July grin

JackyB Wed 06-Jul-16 06:37:32

That's a lovely story.

I understood regular to mean the size of the cup, but I can see how you made that mistake. Sadly we are reminded once again that there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Greenfinch Wed 06-Jul-16 07:05:26

I thought I would try a flavoured latte with mine only to find I was charged for the flavouring of which there was very little. I queried it and was given another free coffee and cake. Can't be bad !

Auntieflo Wed 06-Jul-16 08:41:00

Daphne, I made a similar mistake whilst on holiday recently. We bought a ticket to use on the ferry boat that plies up and down the coast, and it's use by date was printed on the ticket. I thought that meant that you could use it, every day maybe, until said date expired. Oh no, it was for just one journey. Naive,moi ? blush

PRINTMISS Wed 06-Jul-16 09:03:46

At one time (a long time ago, again), when disabled parking places were being marked out in parking areas, they were sign-posted "INVALID PARKING ONLY". My daughter quite young, wanted to know why you could have an invalid parking spot, when there were valid ones empty.

Greenfinch Wed 06-Jul-16 09:55:09

That was very clever of her,Printmiss.

Witzend Sat 16-Jul-16 10:43:27

As a child I found 'dilute to taste' on squash bottles very strange, since if you could taste it perfectly well AFTER diluting it, why on earth wouldn't you be able to taste it before?

gettingonabit Sat 16-Jul-16 11:08:14

I'm never sure what parking signs mean. Like "return prohibited within 3 hours". Does it mean you're not allowed back at all? Even in an emergency? confused.