Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

REE-search

(11 Posts)
Witzend Sun 07-Aug-16 09:19:27

...instead of reSEARCH.
Drives me bonkers every time I hear it.
Which is a lot, including from people who should know better.

Jane10 Sun 07-Aug-16 09:22:27

Reesearch is the noun and research is the verb.
Eg: This is a good piece of reesearch (noun)
And I'm researching that topic (verb)
Simples.

Teetime Sun 07-Aug-16 10:06:44

I agree with Witzend drives me mad too as does FInance instead of finance and CONTRA versy instead of Controversy and as for PROject instead of proJect well!

Gononsuch Sun 07-Aug-16 10:19:29

I'm sticking with Jane10, it makes sense to get it right than just to put up with it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 10:47:49

Agree with Jane10. Because she is right.

Tudorrose Sun 07-Aug-16 11:31:44

What I find most irritating is qualifying ' unique'. Something is either unique or it isn't . Even people on the BBC say quite unique or very unique. Drives me nuts!

obieone Sun 07-Aug-16 13:15:38

I will pronounce Jane10 both right and wrong!
Yes, that is how people say it that I hear, but it doesnt have to be so.

People can do what they like with pronunciation and language.

Witzend Sun 07-Aug-16 17:50:48

Afraid I can't agree with Jane. According to my very fat Oxford dictionary, reSEARCH is the traditional British-English pronunciation for both noun and verb. (Which is how I've always heard them pronounced until recently)
REEsearch is the American import for both, though now accepted as a variant here, and I heartily wish it had stayed on its own side of the pond.

Jane10 Sun 07-Aug-16 18:59:29

I agree with obieone people can indeed pronounce words however they like. There's a risk that others may object but language is diverse and changes faster than dictionaries can capture.

PamelaJ1 Thu 18-Aug-16 18:34:52

I think that I heard a women on BBC breakfast this morning saying that 'he should podium'. She was talking about one of the Brownlees brothers. Maybe I misheard or perhaps we have a new verb?

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 18:58:49

I agree with Witzend - research every time.