Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Bunfight?

(15 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:13:12

A recent thread was quite rightly deleted by GNHQ and the reason given that it had turned into a 'bunfight'. This seems somewhat inaccurate as a bunfight means a teaparty! PG Wodehouse type phraseology. If only this thread had resembled a tea party in any way.
Probably best delete this thread though, after all its not only critical about GNHQ its a thread about a thread! grin

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 14:15:49

Its second meaning is 'a heated argument or exchange', which is more like it!

Yes, this is yet another thread about a thread...

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 14:17:09

Or perhaps it could be about words which have two or more distinctly different meanings?

Jane10 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:17:57

That has become its second meaning over time due to people not understanding its real meaning and just thinking about the 'fight' bit otherwise why have the 'bun' bit at all. Very disappointing...

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 14:29:55

Well, I've read three different claims as to its origin now!

Bunfight at the OK Corral, anyone?

Grannyknot Sun 25-Sep-16 14:34:18

I was thinking the other day how it doesn't matter how many, what for, or who deletes or reports threads because a new one can be started at any time by any one, about the same topic, that's the nature of forums, as is evidenced by this very thread.

Therefore, GNHQ has unleashed a monster grin

Christinefrance Sun 25-Sep-16 14:42:22

Threads, bun fights, monsters - where does one start, I'm for a large G & T think the sun must be over the yardarm somewhere

DaphneBroon Sun 25-Sep-16 15:18:52

Well I think someone got off lightly and some of us will not forget the "tenor" of the conversation.

trisher Sun 25-Sep-16 15:23:27

I quite like the idea of a bunfight!

Jane10 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:36:01

It was a daft thread started by an odd Gran. I hope she's gone as promised but suspect she'll be back in some other guise. If she's lurking -'Hi there!' grin

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 15:37:56

'Someone got off lightly', Daphne? What were you thinking would be an appropriate punishment? grin

DaphneBroon Sun 25-Sep-16 16:20:34

What I meant was that a veil has now been drawn over an ugly example of (IMHO) entirely unjustified vitriol all, of course, expressed in a "non-abusive manner"
So no "punishment" - but evidence for all to see of what Elegran described in her final post.

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 16:23:33

Oh I see. I think...

Wobblybits Sun 25-Sep-16 16:54:28

I am amazed the GNHQ haven't deleted this thread about a thread yet, perhaps they are having a nap.

Luckygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 16:55:59

It's Sunday - sleeping off the roast I expect.