Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Christmas spirit

(5 Posts)
BPJ Sun 01-Jan-17 11:34:32

The Christmas spirit doesn't last long these days does it?
Yesterday in Tesco I was looking in the reduced cabinet while herself was otherwise engaged and as I moved away a young lady came past me, someone else looking in the cabinet said "an excuse me would have been nice" to which the young lady replied "I did say it you deaf old cow" My comment of "that's nice and a happy new year to you" earned me two fingers. Oh dear!

Teetime Sun 01-Jan-17 11:56:37

Lovely isn't it lots of failed charm school candidates about sad to say. I give them my best Matron's withering look. Water of a duck's back of course.

br0adwater Sun 01-Jan-17 14:41:33

It may be patronising or condescending of me but I genuinely feel sad for people like that young 'lady' as she will find life a struggle. Everyone will either ignore her, give her withering looks or answer back as she goes bruising through life. The ill will gets compounded. It's just very sad.

BPJ Sun 01-Jan-17 15:03:23

costs nothing and it's a lot less hassle to be polite!!

Charleygirl Sun 01-Jan-17 15:09:41

I agree- I struggle sometimes in a supermarket because I have sight problems and the number of people who leave baskets willy nilly on the floor while they gossip or look further for something is staggering.

I was happy to help a man in a wheelchair who was obviously struggling to get close to a shelf and retrieve something but everybody half our ages marched past. Their day will come.