Peeps!

(19 Posts)
Witzend Sat 14-Jan-17 09:32:10

Ugh! Saw this elsewhere yesterday, as in, 'What do peeps think...?'

Makes me cringe.
Ditto, now I'm in moany-old-bag mode, 'Pretty please?'
Major cringe!

kittylester Sat 14-Jan-17 09:40:27

I hate 'peeps' too but a very occasional 'pretty please' doesn't bother me if said in a jokey manner.

Grannyknot Sat 14-Jan-17 09:42:37

"Perps" for "perpetrator" ... our local police use it on their Facebook page.

willsmadnan Sat 14-Jan-17 10:23:56

Oh God, yes! The word from hell IMO. Only yesterday I was reading (snooping on!) a fellow crafter's blog and every posting started with 'Hi peeps... well, peeps..... good morning peeps... ugh! Never met her, but instantly formed a negative view of her , and I'm sorry to say, her work. Guess I'm just a miserable old pedantshock

Wheniwasyourage Sat 14-Jan-17 13:08:49

Yes, I hate "peeps" too, and "pretty please" - reminds me of one of the awful women in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". willsmadnan, we miserable old pedants must stick together!

Christinefrance Sat 14-Jan-17 13:14:32

For some reason and it's not a grammatical thing but Old Folks Home always grates. It sounds so patronising.

ninathenana Sat 14-Jan-17 13:24:13

I don't think I've ever typed pretty please but I do sometimes say it to H with a sickly smile and a request for him to do some domestic chore or other.grin

Teetime Sat 14-Jan-17 13:31:58

One of the so-called 'alternative' comedians can't remember his name had a character called Stavros (it was the man who also did 'loads of money') who used to introduce himself with 'Ladies and Peeps' in a mock-Greek accent. Oh I know now Harry Enfield - can't stand the bloke.

rosesarered Sat 14-Jan-17 14:31:17

Oh c'mon peeps, it's only a word! grin

thatbags Sat 14-Jan-17 14:34:40

Peeps and Tweeps are fine by me. Pretty please is a bit too ingratiating for my taste though I've no objecton to other people using it.

Marmight Sat 14-Jan-17 17:06:46

I like 'peeps'. Better than some other abbs ?

Ana Sat 14-Jan-17 17:11:43

What does 'Tweeps' mean?

thatbags Sat 14-Jan-17 17:28:49

Tweeting people.

Ana Sat 14-Jan-17 17:31:21

People wot Tweet, rather than something you do?

thatbags Sat 14-Jan-17 17:34:31

Yes. Er... isn't tweeting something you do? Hmm, maybe one posts tweets rather than actually tweets IYSWIM.

Anyway, I think you've got the idea, ana.

Ana Sat 14-Jan-17 17:37:34

No, I don't think I have...does it mean 'people who tweet' (i.e. a noun) or 'tweeting people' (verb) confused

Ana Sat 14-Jan-17 17:40:09

Ah! I've just googled and apparently it means 'a person's followers on Twitter'.

It's a minefield for us non-tweeters...

Greenfinch Sat 14-Jan-17 18:26:56

How about Pax as abbreviation for passengers as seen on cruise ships eg Pax must be back on board by ......?

Witzend Sun 15-Jan-17 14:42:15

To me, 'Pretty please' conjures up the sort of woman who imagines she's putting on a coyly winning smile, which is however more likely to make the addressee want to slap her.
She'll probably be wearing something in little-girly pink, too.

There, that's my miserable-old-bag bit over with for now. Just taking a lunch break from the dreaded tax return, which is maybe why I'm feeling more evil than usual. ;-)