Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Bulky items being dumped

(10 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 19-Jan-17 13:44:23

I live in a small block of six flats.
Since before Christmas a divan bed has been put out by our communal bins (right outside my kitchen window!)
My friend in the same block said "oh, it came from so-and-so upstairs: I told her not to worry about it."
I feel more and more angry every time I leave my flat, and especially as a few people have asked, in passing, if it's mine!
I know how difficult it is to get rid of large items, but it really annoys me that people have so little regard for their own living spaces!

Elegran Thu 19-Jan-17 14:02:35

Put a large notice on it "This belonged to XXXX upstairs at number X" then they know who to blame.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Jan-17 14:05:25

Elegran,
I'm too much of a coward!
I've thought of phoning the council (they charge 25 pounds to remove bulky items) and giving them the neighbours flat number.

tanith Thu 19-Jan-17 14:09:14

On an an estate near us the council systematically remove 'dumped' rubbish it happens all the time. I'd ring them and tell them its a health/trip hazard that should get some action.
On the council website they should have a 'report something' button to click on.

Elegran Thu 19-Jan-17 14:19:19

At the moment no-one knows who dumped it, but several people have asked if it was you. If you go out when the street is deserted and pin on a notice in block capitals, no-one will know it was you who pinned the notice, but everyone will know who the bed belonged to. If she takes exception to being anonymously named - tough. Why should you get the blame for rubbish anonymously dumped?

How much does your council charge to uplift large items? You could add that info to the notice, and the number to phone to get the service.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Jan-17 14:39:24

Its 25 pounds, up to three items, I think.
It just looks awful; I'm going to have to do something.
I think the young lady would have moved it, if she hadn't been told not to worry. She is a big, strong, strapping girl, who drives, so she could have taken it to the tip.

Alima Thu 19-Jan-17 14:47:40

Phone the council and see if they can do anything. Think it may depend if the rubbish is on private property or not.

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 13:36:40

I know all councils are different but ours will collect bulky items (two a year) free of charge.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jan-17 14:58:54

Probably depends if you feel the person in question should be the one who takes responsibility for its removal or you just want to get rid of If it's the second then ring your local council and say it has been fly tipped outside your house I think it would get removed free of charge in that instance

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jan-17 11:09:03

Thanks ladies,
I just wanted a moan, really
I'll phone the council and tell them its been dumped there by persons unknown.
People are selfish, really.