Pedants' corner

A word a day keeps the cobwebs away.

(21 Posts)
Elegran Fri 27-Jan-17 09:37:14

New word for today - kakistocracy

noun
1[mass noun] Government by the least suitable or competent citizens of a state:
‘the danger is that this will reduce us to kakistocracy’
‘every government that has existed since the ancient Greeks has been a prime example of kakistocracy’

1.1[count noun] A state or society governed by its least suitable or competent citizens:
‘the modern regime is at once a plutocracy and a kakistocracy’
‘the man in the street must share part of the blame for allowing such a kakistocracy to entrench itself’

Origin
Early 19th century: from Greek kakistos worst + -cracy.
Pronunciation kakistocracy/kakɪˈstɒkrəsi/

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/kakistocracy

gillybob Fri 27-Jan-17 10:24:19

So if I said "this government is an absolute load of Kak" I would (almost) be on the right lines?

Do you have any words that I might be able to actually use?

Elegran Fri 27-Jan-17 13:21:46

I'll work on it for tomorrow, gilly. Any specific use or target in mind?

I'm sorry to be so long replying, I've been out all morning.

Elegran Sat 28-Jan-17 09:32:37

gilly How about bloviate ? There's a lot of that around.

Definition of bloviate

intransitive verb

: to speak or write verbosely and windily <pundits bloviating on the radio>

bloviation \ˌblō-vē-ˈā-shən\ noun

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bloviate

kittylester Sat 28-Jan-17 09:35:19

Love this Elegran!

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jan-17 10:58:44

Me too!

Elegran Sat 28-Jan-17 13:51:47

After being blasted on a previous thread for searching for stuff on Google "so that could pretend to be clever" I must make it clear that I had never heard of a kakistocracy until yesterday, when I read it in an online article, and that I found bloviate in the thesaurus when I searched for words with that kind of meaning. Heaven forbid that I should bloviate at you.

kittylester Sat 28-Jan-17 17:21:07

Just keep it up Elegran - whatever it is called. grin

Ana Sat 28-Jan-17 17:44:37

Love 'bloviate'! Must make a note of it...thanks Elegran grin

TriciaF Sun 29-Jan-17 11:37:07

Yes I like bloviate too - never heard it before. The meaning is something like logorrhea:
' logorrhea or logorrhoea (from Ancient Greek λόγος logos "word" and ῥέω rheo "to flow") is a communication disorder, expressed by excessive wordiness with minor or sometimes incoherent talkativeness'.
Perhaps people who write long posts on forums suffer from this too.

MissAdventure Sun 29-Jan-17 11:58:25

I love it!
It reminds me of being a child, and an avid reader
I would always look up words which I hadn't heard before.

Elegran Sun 29-Jan-17 13:22:27

Today Thatbags posted the word * quangocrat* on another thread, so I am copying it here.

quangocrat noun depreciative
A member of a quango seen as wielding (excessive) power or influence with unelected authority.

Origin
1970s; earliest use found in The Economist.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/quangocrat

Does anyone else have any good ones?

KatyK Sun 29-Jan-17 18:09:18

According to the papers today, Donald Trump could be suffering from bathmophobia, which is a fear of stairs or slopes, which is why he was holding Mrs May's hand coming down the slope smile That's a new one on me.

Elegran Sun 29-Jan-17 18:43:18

Just had a vision of Trump visiting the Great Wall of China for a blueprint for his Mexican wall, and getting the collywobbles peering down over the edge.grin

thatbags Mon 30-Jan-17 04:38:50

Cnutism or Canutism. Don't know if it actually exists yet, officially. I thought of it a few minutes ago while reading an article by Clare Foges about what she calls Traumatic Trump Syndrome. PM me if you want a link to it.

Elegran Mon 30-Jan-17 10:26:56

Canute was actually doing it to prove to his sycophantic courtiers that he wasn't omnipotent enough to hold back the inevitable incoming tide, so you'd have to use it in the right context.

thatbags Mon 30-Jan-17 13:00:06

This was Foges sentence that made me think of Cnut: "You might as well fight the tides as fight an elected president of another country let alone this one, who sees criticism as a reason to double-down not back down".

It was the mention of tides. The people Foges is referring to in her "might as well" expression would seem not to be as wise as Cnut. How correct her assessment of the usefulness of anti-Trump protests is will not show for a while yet. Corrections and clarifications of the entry ban EO are already being put in place and publicised, as those with a calmer outlook foresaw.

gillybob Mon 30-Jan-17 13:48:01

Oooops nearly missed this. Sorry Elegran

I quite like "bloviate" (although spell check quite clearly doesn't)

and I know a few very good bloviaters (is there such a word?)

Looking forward to using it and I have just the person in mind hmm

thatbags Tue 31-Jan-17 17:18:07

manichean (man-i-kee-un)

1. Manichee [man-i-kee] (Show IPA). an adherent of the dualistic religious system of Manes, a combination of Gnostic Christianity, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, and various other elements, with a basic doctrine of a conflict between light and dark, matter being regarded as dark and evil.
adjective
2. of or relating to the Manicheans or their doctrines.

It's in an article I linked to on another thread.

Isabella1 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:25:53

"This was Foges sentence that made me think of Cnut"

Every time I see one of these FCUK sweatshirts, I think
"FCUK: clothes for Cnuts"

Elegran Thu 02-Feb-17 20:11:56

Hector - not a new word, but an apposite one on Gn recently.

verb (used with object) - to treat with insolence; bully; torment:
The teacher hectored his students incessantly.

verb (used without object) - to act in a blustering, domineering way; be a bully.

Synonyms for hector - bully browbeat irritate nag badger bait bluster dominate harass heckle intimidate plague ride swagger tease torment worry

Word Origin & History
hector late 14c., "a valiant warrior," 1650s as slang for "a blustering, turbulent, pervicacious, noisy fellow" [Johnson], both in allusion to the provocative character of Hektor, Trojan hero, oldest son of Priam and Hecuba, in the "Iliad." It represents Gk. hektor, lit. "holder, stayer;" an agent noun from ekhein "to have, hold, possess." As a proper name, rare in England but used in Scotland to render Gael. Eachdonn.
www.thesaurus.com/browse/hector